Blind Spot Mirrors

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Does anyone know if there are any blind spot mirrors available to replace the glass in the side view mirrors for a 2015 Passat?

ECS says nothing available, only available for earlier 2012 vehicles.

Thanks,
Matt

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
ECS did have blind spot mirrors but they were for the B7 (European) Passat, not the NMS version we have in the USA/Canada. I know because I ordered a set circa March 2015 from ECS and had them in my hands which is when I discovered the glass shape was for a B7, not the NMS. I promptly contacted ECS about this and they took them back / refunded my money with no hassle.

That said, after my experience with ECS I found aftermarket aspherical (no blind spot) blue-tinted mirrors on eBay for the NMS. Ordered a pair and found they fit correctly so they have been on my NMS ever since. Unlike the A4 Jetta version (which I had when I owned one) the no blind spot feature is not as of much use on a NMS Passat especially on ones equipped with a back up camera. If one gets the side mirrors adjusted correctly can almost eliminate all blind spots which I know for a fact in my NMS having done it.

pedorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
Also have a set of ECS on my 2012 and absolutely love them. Make sure to order for your model year as there are two different shapes.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Also have a set of ECS on my 2012 and absolutely love them. Make sure to order for your model year as there are two different shapes.
I do NOT have ECS mirror glass installed on my 2014 NMS as what ECS had available at the time was for the B7 Passat* which is not the same as the NMS Passat. The aspherical mirrors for 2013-2014 have to be obtained from the aftermarket. I do not know if 2015 mirrors are same as 2013-2014. Per ECS and you 2012 is different. Just want to be clear on this so others looking into these mirrors understand the situation.

*I was not bothered by the 'B7' designation as many vendors list the NMS as a B7 for convenience but in this case the mirror glass was actually for a B7 and not a NMS - the shape was similar but still different. Apparently after I returned my B7 set (and perhaps complaints from other NMS owners) ECS must have removed these aspherical mirrors from their website for 2013-2014 NMS applications.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
<snip>If one gets the side mirrors adjusted correctly can almost eliminate all blind spots which I know for a fact in my NMS having done it.
And this is possible on many, if not most cars, since the "side mirrors," correctly adjusted, ARE blind spot mirrors. The rear view mirror is the thing hanging down inside at the front of the roof. The rear view camera is convenient, but hardly necessary.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
And this is possible on many, if not most cars, since the "side mirrors," correctly adjusted, ARE blind spot mirrors. The rear view mirror is the thing hanging down inside at the front of the roof. The rear view camera is convenient, but hardly necessary.
camera is helpful when leaving the local rodeo, backing out of a field parking spot at 11pm and spotting a drunk chick passed out in tall grass. this happened last month to me and my wife- lucky for the wasted chick I wasn't driving my dodge crew cab :eek:

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Thanks for the info guys. Coming from three Golf/JSW TDIs that were sold back and replaced with GTIs. Missed a TDI on my long commute and now waiting to pick up a CPO Passat SEL TDI on a trade for one of the GTIs.

I have always had the aspherical mirrors on my other VWs.

251, do you remember the store name on eBay or any other info about the mirrors you purchased for your car?

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
251, do you remember the store name on eBay or any other info about the mirrors you purchased for your car?
Circa March 2015 was when I got mine. Don't recall eBay seller's name but they were the only ones with the 2013-2014 NMS blue tinted aspherical mirrors at that time. Soon as I got my pair from them and verified they were correct bought a replacement back up pair in case I ever need them. Looks like I made a smart move getting an extra set since apparently they are no longer available.

I think I may have printed out the seller's page from eBay - will have to take a look when I'm back home. If I find it will post back here.

Just took a quick look on eBay and don't see anybody selling 2013-2014 NMS aspherical mirrors at this time. Kind of curious that none are to be had at present from the aftermarket these days. :confused:

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
True, can adjust mirrors on most any vehicle to eliminate blind spots. My reference to the back up camera was only for when it assists in seeing behind one's vehicle when backing up. Of course, when going forward the back up camera is off / useless. :)

Since we are on the subject thought I'd post a link on how to adjust the mirrors to eliminate blind spots for those who are unaware of how to do this:

http://www.cartalk.com/sites/default/files/features/mirrors/CarTalkMirrors.pdf

When mirrors are properly set to eliminate blind spots I also found it cuts down on headlight glare at night which is another nice benefit.

jaberoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL silver
I understand the various points being made about proper side mirror placement but, personally, I wouldn't be without my Autobahn mirrors. I've had them in my last two VWs. For me, someone who finds fully turning my head difficult, the great virtue of the Autobahn mirror is when merging, or when a side road is merging at an acute angle which is outside the side mirror's view.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
At a Dollar store you can probably buy 2 convex mirrors you stick on your mirrors. That's what I did and it works well, positioned in the furthest upper corner of the mirror.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Resurrecting an old thread - has anyone found a part number for original blind spot mirrors for the 2015's?

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
I may have to do what Jetta Pilot did. I've noticed, even when adjusted correctly, there is a blind spot generated by the B pillar on the driver's side. I'm sure this also has to do with where my seat is adjusted to due to my average height. It might not look as good, but considering the price of only a few bucks and unavailable status of the aspherical mirrors for the NMS it is a good alternative.