VAG-COM OBD Scanners references/FAQ

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Does anyone know if there is someone close to me with bag com? I recently bought my first tdi. It is an 04 jetta with the bew block in it. It has an upgraded turbo in it GT17 and I am wondering if someone has already tuned it. I have no way of knowing or is there a way of knowing. Also it has cel and I am wanting it off. I don't know everything about these cars but motivated to learn. If someone could point me in the right direction of someone with vag-com or someone that tunes any help is useful.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=296841

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Just got a HEX-USB+CAN ross..not China

No idea how to use it.

Will a 32g used acer laptop with Windows 10 work with it?

Since its genuine ross where do i download the software?

And on my passat i want to set my torsion values and make that dumb pinging for the seatbelt go away

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Sweet! It didnt say the size requirements...will a 32g computer work or should i look for a larger one?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Sweet! It didnt say the size requirements...will a 32g computer work or should i look for a larger one?
VCDS does not require a powerful computer. Any computer that will run Windows 7 or above will work perfectly. As long as you are not trying to run it on Windows CE, you will be OK. I have an old slow single core Intel Atom netbook running a 32 bit version of Windows 10 and it is more than fast enough.

Have Fun!

Don

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I have an older laptop running XP Pro dedicated to VCDS only, no internet, nothing else.
32GB is more than enough.

As for the seatbelt pinging, unless I'm wrong seat belts are the law everywhere. So a very simple solution, put the damn thing on before you start the car !!!

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Id rather shut it off...i sit in a car line to get my kid from school 30 min a day. Moving less than 1mph. Seatbelt laws infringe on personal rights...i always wear one when on the road. I also always wear a helmet when i ride a motorcycle but it SHOULD be up to the operator, not the gov't to determine if you want to use it or not. If what someone else is doing doesn't harm you or anyone else it should be of no one else's concern.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
That info should be in the Release Notes http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/download/current.php

or in the FAQs http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/vag-com-faq.php

which you should read before ordering/downloading a product.
Ive never owned a car that needed anything like a vag com to do repairs, adjustments and diagnostics. Been shopping around for one. I use the diagnostic systems on stihl and Husqvarna auto tune systems a bit, i assume they are similar but way more on info and depth on the ross vag. I own 2 bhws and am shopping for at least one more. I will possibky be putting 2 in my boat. It's definitely an investment and will be looking for someone local to give me some pointers. Since i got a good deal on one with unlimited vins I'll gladly let someone local who's familiar play with it on their vehicle so long as they dont mind giving me a run down. Gotta start learning somewhere!

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The reason you probably haven't run into needing something like VCDS before, is because of all the computerization in VWs nowadays. Remember it only required a screwdriver and a pair of pliers to completely disassemble a Beetle! :D

Here are the links you'll most likely need:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Passat_(3B)

http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/main_screen.php

http://www.ross-tech.com/vca/ (VCDS registration/activation)

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

http://forums.ross-tech.com/

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you. My 7.3 psd is very simple, so were all my b18c5 and boosted ls/vtec swaps (obdI) both my 4bd1t and 4bd2t were full mechanical injection pumps and injectors. There was a 3 year dark period with a carbureted chevy v8 over the years. I do all my own wrenching other than automatic transmission rebuilds and tuning. After i bought my first bhw and read how to change the timing belt i consider the vag a must have for anyone who will be keeping up their own vw. Ill be diving into those links Tomttow, thanks for the huge help.

Our family has owned a 64 bug since the early 70s. The first resto was done in the late 70s by dirt poor farmers/horse trainer family members who used whatever was around to do the repairs. It had a second proper restoration done in the early 2000's. No kidding about only needing pliars and a screw driver!

Hurleyss

TDI
2005 Passat TDI BSM delete
First timer on the forum. Not sure if I’m in the right place but does anyone know how to reset comprehensive components that are “not ready” for smog? I had the transmission replaced on my 05 Passat tdi and I can’t get certain codes to reset. I’ve driven 500 miles and nothing. I read about an 8 step drive cycle that is supposed to work... but that requires a cold start and then rediculous speed up slow downs that are not practical unless you are on a closed or deserted road. Any tips are greatly appreciated. Dealership said 280$ and 3-4 days in the shop!

Eddi

TDI
Golf 4,T5
Not all code can be reset! Only after repair or replacement of the components! (Cable defective)

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
First timer on the forum. Not sure if I’m in the right place but does anyone know how to reset comprehensive components that are “not ready” for smog? I had the transmission replaced on my 05 Passat tdi and I can’t get certain codes to reset. I’ve driven 500 miles and nothing. I read about an 8 step drive cycle that is supposed to work... but that requires a cold start and then rediculous speed up slow downs that are not practical unless you are on a closed or deserted road. Any tips are greatly appreciated. Dealership said 280$ and 3-4 days in the shop!
You need to scan the car for fault codes. You are probably talking about the "readiness" bits. If these bits are not resetting after driving for a while, there probably is a reason. A scan with a generic OBDII scanner might help but a VW specific scanner will probably give you more information.

Have Fun!

Don

Tom Rose

TDI
none at this time Interested in TDI Jetta sportwagon
can anyone recommend a scanner that will power up the fuel pump when I change my fuel filter ? (2011 JSW TDI) I don't own a laptop at this time. Looked on Amazon & saw some, not sure if / which to buy. Thanks guys, my money is a little tight right now

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
No recommendations, but I believe you can slow prime that thing just using the in tank pump. Maybe hook up a battery charger and don't overheat the starter.

See what others have done-

VW TDI Search Engine

Tom Rose

TDI
none at this time Interested in TDI Jetta sportwagon
Thanks Bob, but reviewing all the "HOW TO" videos many say I can do damage to the fuel pump w/o priming. I've read where some pour fresh diesel in the canister, install new filter, & claim they're good to go, but ?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yes, research, it can damage, guessing maybe you don't use the starter or disable starting?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
can anyone recommend a scanner that will power up the fuel pump when I change my fuel filter ? (2011 JSW TDI) I don't own a laptop at this time. Looked on Amazon & saw some, not sure if / which to buy. Thanks guys, my money is a little tight right now

Any VW specific scanner that can do "basic settings" will work. Search for this term in the description. VCDS is, undoubtedly, the best, but it's not cheap. I know that ODBeleven can do it but it requires an Android device. I'm sure that there are also others, but I am not really familiar with them.

Have Fun!

Don

jef@rosstech

Associate Ross-Tech Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 Dog hauling, wood towing, pinball stashing Jetta wagon
We have kits starting at $199, just add a Win7 or newer laptop. The software isn't locked down to a computer, so one could barrow a friend's laptop if needed.

And the laptop doesn't have to be a power house. If you've seen any of the poorly produced Ross-Tech videos, I'm using a sub $300 Asus netbook to run VCDS on and screen capture. Here is a relevant example of a sub standard video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZYJjMNfQ-I

Bonus points if you find the cat judging you.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Nothing required other than when you have dropped the new filter into place use either Diesel, PowerService or any other diesel fuel additive you have on hand to fill the housing to the brim. Then close it up and restart your engine.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here is a Youtube link for a fuel filter change, easy peasy !

I have a plastic shopping bag handy to drop the used filter into after it has drained most of the Diesel off.
I have not found it necessary to use a VCDS or prime with the fuel pump since before closing the filter I add and fill the filter housing with either PowerService, Diesel or any other Diesel fuel additive I have handy.

Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Filter change
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kbIAwF2uvA

Just changed my fuel filter today from a "MANN" to something else. What a PIA to remove the MANN filter. There is a ridge around the bottom of the filter which made it very difficult to remove.
My replacement does not have that.

I filled the housing including the center of the filter with PS.
Closed it up and with my KESSY just turned on the ignition for 30 seconds before I started the engine. Not even a sputter, started right up.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
RT scammers

"Difference Between Total Car Diagnostics VAG-COM and Original Ross-Tech ™:
Firstly, this is not the original RossTech kit as sold for $600+ on their website...

Our cable uses a 3rd Party manufactured chip. That's why we can keep costs down — because we're not using Ross-Tech™ OEM chip — but 3rd party chip using identical firmware code.

In short, this cuts down our OEM licensing fees... hence we pass those savings onto you.

It also comes with original license-activated VCDS software, which works on unlimited car VIN's and computers. And has ZERO restrictions in functionality compared to original. (Software is NOT cracked or modified in any way.)

Lastly, this HEX V2 cable has no connection to the cheap VAGCOM clones found aplenty on eBay/Amazon, which basically all use VCDSLoader.exe crack, which invalidates 50% of software functionality.

Disclaimer: We are not associated to RossTech company. All technical help for this product must go to Total Car Diagnostics. Our hope is you'll see how good our cable is and eventually buy the original Ross-Tech, because they absolutely deserve it and are always up to date."

JohnTF

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 TDI ALH A.T. Wagon
I've several times / and ways , and cannot find what seems like would be a good sticky for all the diagnostic cables / tools .
A comparative chart of all / or many of the [ this is part of the problem - too many names / labels for the same basic devices ] , the list of tools on either the vertical across the chart & columns showing functions , possibly a 3rd designator for yrs.

I bought a Ross-Tech Key-USB , while searching read about another Ross-Tech that was good for my car 03 TDI KII-USB , and on it went ;(

The reason being , is someone , almost everyone , has not played with [ what more than a dozen diagnostic cables , connectors , OBDII , etc. etc. ]
a through checking out could take days of reading .

And if someone wanted to have more features / maybe pro or close to pro , you start looking at $300 , $400 , +++

This kinda stuff even for a full blown shop [ I used to be ] now we are looking at $3,000 - $10,000 .

The last thing anyone at any level wants to do - is spend hundreds of dollars , or more , and find out they need to start shopping & spending even more .

On a related subject - check out " RIGHT-TO-REPAIR " find legislation in your state & sign to HAVE-THE-RIGHT-TO-REPAIR ;)