1.9TDI bigger turbo

osvaldas

TDI
Audi 80 1.9 TDI
Hi everyone, im new here. I have audi 80 1.9tdi 90hp, and i'd want to put bigger turbo in it, mine has original turbo which is pressure controlled. I dont know if its better to make make vacuum control for turbo or search same type turbocharger and from who it would fit without gigantic modifications.
Engine is same as in photo, with mechanical MAF.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
depends on other factors. You build or buy the turbo for your end goal. What is your End goal? 150hp? 250? 300-350? 350hp+?
The other more important factor is your $$$ budget?
The #1 thing to base your turbo off, is EGT's. Your setup will end up with bigger nozzles, clutch, head work and some custom parts like intake and what not.
If your just looking to get a bit more out of it, a tune is #1 biggest bang for your buck hands down. $300-$350 for a tune and you will get more HP than a upgraded turbo or fuel mods alone.

Easy list of parts to upgrade with out custom fab, bolt on K07 hybrid or VTN15 or VTN17 with manifold, pd150/pd130 intake manifold, .357 nozzles pop tested and tuned stage 1.5-2, downpipe 2.5" with a free flow Cat or strait pipe (depends on your states legality and emissions regulations) and a tune from malone with a 3 bar map. Run the stock n75 valve its boost controlled. Will be reliable and plenty of power and fun. Bump the PSI up to 18 or 19 if you want but not necessary. You will probably need a new clutch.

mechanical MAF??? what the heck? i did not know such a thing existed, MAF is just a wire on a circuit that heats up and based on how cool it is is a direct relationship of airflow.

So what will it be, how much $$$ do you have to spend, and how much power do you want?

osvaldas

TDI
Audi 80 1.9 TDI
not mechanical MAF,i got confused :D its not like newer cars MAF, it has damper which opens or closes when car is revving, i dont really know if it has influence :D i have searched some info about vnt turbos and there would be some work to make vnt turbo work on this engine and i cant find enough info to make vnt turbo work on exactly this engine because i haven't seen that it'd have n75 valve or it have it but it has hot different look. Ihad same car but few months newer and it had little bit different ecu, MAF, it also had N75 already. I'd want to to get about 150hp. Clutch is new so i wont change it if it'll work properly. Srry for my writing skills :/

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
You mean, mechanical EGR?
150 is EASY, go with the .375s with a pop test and tune 2, pd150 intake, A tune, vtn 17 turbo or k03/k04 hybrid, and a DIY water Meth injection. You can make one for about 150
Get a set of auber gauges for EGT, Oil PSI, and Boost and then get a tune from Malone

You can make the vtn17 work easily. its just a turbo. it works off a vacuum but you can easily get a boost to vacuum converter and make it work. Get a tune that deletes your n75 if you do have one. Do an EGR delete as well.
you should be at 170hp with this set up and with the shot of water meth you would get a boost up into the 180-190 HP depending on the amount you inject.
Building one is easy, you just need the right parts. If you want i can share into that about how i built mine. Its ran off a relay off the boost and EGT. If the boost is past 13psi and the EGT's are past 1300 the pump and solenoid activates and injects a heathy dose of cooling power. The nice part of the Auber gauge is you can set the relay on and off parameters, Injects if boost gets to 13psi or higher and off when it drops below 900 and On at boost at 13psi and off at 10psi Its also on a switch so i can turn it off. If you run water meth you could run a set of PP.764 and get way more power but your going to need to upgrade your clutch at that level. Either way you can always up a few parts and get more power with the turbo i recommended. If you want to go big, go another route.

I highly suggest you get a upgraded exhaust manifold, this will help BIG time with EGT's. If you have some handy skills with power tools, you can do a port and polish on your head for about $100 in parts. Delete your EGR, PD150, Port and polish your head and gasket match the exhaust and intake ports to the gasket or larger. This will be a BIG help with EGT's and will help with power delivery. Its not hard work, its just a bunch of easy long and repetitive steps.

osvaldas

TDI
Audi 80 1.9 TDI
Tell me more how to make pressure to vacuum, because i cant find enough info about it, i gave blocked hose to egr so it doesnt work, i have done evry mod also :D head was restored about 4000km before, so it'd be nonsense to take head out after so little time :D

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
it takes 1 hour to take the head off and put it back on, all you need is a new gasket. When it was off, it should have been ported and polished.

If your turbo system now runs boost to control the waste gate actuator, you can get a mechanical switching valve and tap the vacuum line into it.Or swap out the boost N75 to the vacuum N75. OR you can get a boost controlled actuator and swap it out into the vtn17. I suggest you go with a vtn17/22 hybrid as some have. They dont have any issues with it. here are some helpfull links.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=398064

Maybe a gt2056?

osvaldas

TDI
Audi 80 1.9 TDI
Give me a link what that switch valve looks like. If i swap pressure comtrolled actuator to vnt17/22 then from what i should use it and would it work without more modifications related to boost control? I have looked through some gt2056 photos and it looks like boost control works from pressure so it woold work without any modifications related with boost control or i understand it bad? :/

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You understand just fine! You can build one to convert boost to vacuum or just buy a few parts. In all honestly now that im reading up on some of the posts, i dont think thats such a good idea as swapping the actuator. You could even use the one on your stock turbo. might have to make the arm a bit longer. I cant find the DIY any more. the site 404ed.

osvaldas

TDI
Audi 80 1.9 TDI
Mine original turbo is controlled from pressure so if i put gt2056 turbo i dont have to modify actuator as i understood, but on which cars gt2056 was originally(pressure controlled)?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
exactly. I suggest a slightly smaller turbo unless your going with big fuel upgrades

osvaldas

TDI
Audi 80 1.9 TDI
Smaller than gt2056 or i should use this turbo but not bigger than that? And if smaĺler than this then which i should use?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I sugest you lurk around on the forums here, and searc around for parts on various sites like Kerma, ID parts, and so on. There are a variety of ways to build cheep easy power. Talk to Malone, Kerma, and if you can get ahold of then, dark side development.

mighelle

TDI
vw t3 syncro
hi i m from italy and new from here,
someone can help me to convers my vacuum vtn15 turno in a boost activated?
mine is completely a mechanical engine nothing elettronic in it.
thanks in advance for any suggestions

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
hi i m from italy and new from here,
someone can help me to convers my vacuum vtn15 turno in a boost activated?
mine is completely a mechanical engine nothing elettronic in it.
thanks in advance for any suggestions
I sugest you find out how this site works, this is a thread someone started, you posted a new topic, please start that as a new thread in the right forum area.
Start here : http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php

click on the right area you need, then click on start new topic.
glad to have a new member but your doing it wrong!

mighelle

TDI
vw t3 syncro
I sugest you find out how this site works, this is a thread someone started, you posted a new topic, please start that as a new thread in the right forum area.
Start here : http://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php

click on the right area you need, then click on start new topic.
glad to have a new member but your doing it wrong!
hi monlger i m so sorry, i will do the right post in a good area in the future.
glad too to be in this group:):eek: