Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
I have a question.

I got the TDI Fix warranty at around 170,000km. My car now is at 195,000, is it still under the emissions warranty here in Canada? My DPF light is on, and I think my turbo is on it's way out.

Also, does the warranty cover stuff like the N75, Wastegate or diverter valve?
Read your booklet that came with the fix documents.

RT777

TDI
2011 Jetta
Read your booklet that came with the fix documents.
I did, but the dealer is trying to say my warranty expires at 193,000.

Think my turbo is on it's way out, DPF light is on, and now I'm panicking to see if it's covered under warranty or not.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
i own the car outright
Ive uploaded the documents and the status shows its in the 3rd column (audit, settlement package etc)....is this considered "submitted" by Sept 1 deadline? or after finishing column 3?
for now, i've set it up for a trade in
In Canada my understanding is that the offer needs to be signed and submitted before September 1, 2018. I'd recommend giving them a call to confirm.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
RT777 the FAQ (https://www.vwcanadasettlement.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/FAQ_Englishv6.pdf) says:
The Approved Emissions Modification Extended Warranty period will be the greater of:
- In the case of model year 2009 to 2014 Eligible Vehicles, 10 years or
193,000 kilometres, whichever comes first, from the vehicle’s original in-service
date, and 4 years or 77,000 kilometres, whichever comes first, from the date and
mileage of implementing the Approved Emissions Modification.
I read that as you should have coverage until you either hit 247,000 km or 4 years from the fix since 10 years and 193,000 km came first. You can call the settlement number to confirm on the legal side.
Let us know how you make out.

onslaught192

TDI
Jetta Highline
In Canada my understanding is that the offer needs to be signed and submitted before September 1, 2018. I'd recommend giving them a call to confirm.
i did just that and they confirmed that all documents including the settlement package has to be in by that sept 1 date which i have done and completed.

only thing left is to book the appointment. They also said that i can call and change my mind from trade in to straight buyback if needed.

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
i did just that and they confirmed that all documents including the settlement package has to be in by that sept 1 date which i have done and completed.
only thing left is to book the appointment. They also said that i can call and change my mind from trade in to straight buyback if needed.
Just realised the Sept 1 date never got any reminder from the. Still got to submit my ownership info.

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Today was the day...
2012 Touareg TDI Lux, US VIN
157000 km

Unproblematic handover at Myers Volkswagen in Ottawa. Cheque supposed to arrive within 15 days.

I had the T'reg since early 2013 and it was hands-down the best car I have ever owned.

What replaces it? A 2017 VW e-Golf with all the goodies.

Nebelwerfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Had the gen 2 fix done for my 2012. Mileage has dropped a tad, still working on an average as its only been a couple of fuel ups, but I think it's down about 100km per tank fill up.

Got the check 3 days after it was completed, which blew me away.

Regards

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
3 months after Gen 1 fix and my engine isn't liking the fix. Diesel noise is way more pronounced, holds lower gears longer in D, don't use Sport at all. Manual selection is toned down. I like the gear shift points but some of the go-go is gone.
Regens 2 times per tank, only 1 time per tank before fix.
Fuel tad worse but not much. Noticed it took few days after the car had recall done for shift points, power delivery and noise to smoother out
It's almost like the closed engine system couldn't be modified with 'zero negative issues' after all?

Colour me shocked. Shocked I tell you.

wolf1389

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta sportwagen Comfortline
what if we already did the buyback are we eligble for bosch money if there is a settlement?

also is the phase 2 fix mandatory? i would like to buy a used 2015 passat tdi thats already had phase 1 done and do a full tune on it. i would prefer not to have to do phase 2.

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
what if we already did the buyback are we eligble for bosch money if there is a settlement?
Nobody knows... there isn't a settlement yet. But if its like the USA, Yes.

also is the phase 2 fix mandatory? i would like to buy a used 2015 passat tdi thats already had phase 1 done and do a full tune on it. i would prefer not to have to do phase 2.
Why not? The new software was designed to work with the new hardware...

Also, who would sell it now, without getting the second part of the fix and the extra money?

wolf1389

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta sportwagen Comfortline
Nobody knows... there isn't a settlement yet. But if its like the USA, Yes.

Why not? The new software was designed to work with the new hardware...

Also, who would sell it now, without getting the second part of the fix and the extra money?
there are dealers selling off cars that were under the buyback program.. now with drive clean emissions test being removed in ontario i want to buy a 2015 passat or tourag and do a full dpf/def/egr delete and tune

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
there are dealers selling off cars that were under the buyback program.. now with drive clean emissions test being removed in ontario i want to buy a 2015 passat or tourag and do a full dpf/def/egr delete and tune
Those cars would have both parts of the fix done though. If you had a 2015 with only one part done - might as well get the extra part done, and the money, and then tune it.

Assuming the tuning shops can work with a car with the fix. I would imagine that's not a huge problem though.

xpert

TDI
2015 Passat Comfortline 6-speed Manual
Hello,

I called to schedule my Phase 2 appointment and the dealer said there is a hold on the phase 2 from VW and they will get back to me once the hold is removed. I spoke with several people. Eventually someone said that there could be something not going well with the fix and VW is looking into it. Anybody knows anything about this?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
When the dealer here did my phase 2 fix, they boofed (Kavanaugh would suggest I'm using the term correctly, I think) the installation or connection of something and I ended up with a leak at the DEF injector. Had to bring it back in a couple thousand km later with the crystallization around the injector for them to remove and replace.

Whether that's bad work on their part, or bad part(s) from VW's...???

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
Hello,

I called to schedule my Phase 2 appointment and the dealer said there is a hold on the phase 2 from VW and they will get back to me once the hold is removed. I spoke with several people. Eventually someone said that there could be something not going well with the fix and VW is looking into it. Anybody knows anything about this?
I booked my Phase 2 appointment yesterday (in two weeks) and nothing was mentioned. '15 GSW.

It could be they don't have the necessary parts in stock.

Loafing

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Mexican Jet
Leaking DEF injector

When the dealer here did my phase 2 fix, they boofed (Kavanaugh would suggest I'm using the term correctly, I think) the installation or connection of something and I ended up with a leak at the DEF injector. Had to bring it back in a couple thousand km later with the crystallization around the injector for them to remove and replace.

Whether that's bad work on their part, or bad part(s) from VW's...???

Thanks for posting, prompted me to lift the hood after repeated "Error: AdBlue........" warning. Have exactly the same problem. My pic was taken about 1000 km after first warning "Error: AdBlue......" ps Nuje, thanks for the help in getting this on the forum!!!

Last edited:

xpert

TDI
I booked my Phase 2 appointment yesterday (in two weeks) and nothing was mentioned. '15 GSW.

It could be they don't have the necessary parts in stock.

I just got a call from the dealer to say that one of the parts for the Kit A is back ordered and not available momentarily throughout Canada. I am curious if your appointment is still on. Anybody has had Phase 2 performed on their 2015 TDI performed recently?

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
I just got a call from the dealer to say that one of the parts for the Kit A is back ordered and not available momentarily throughout Canada. I am curious if your appointment is still on. Anybody has had Phase 2 performed on their 2015 TDI performed recently?
Mine is going under the knife next Tuesday and I haven't heard anything. When I booked the appointment he did comment that I was lucky it was a Golf because parts for other models are back-ordered.

onslaught192

TDI
Jetta Highline
wheels/tires

Booked my turn in appointment and the rep from the settlement phone line mentioned all the items to bring with me and she specifically mentioned original MAG rims

What if i don't have them? She said it's in the settlement agreement but i can't find it anywhere.....are they really being this stingy?

mine were damaged over the years from potholes during the winter thaws and i have used steel rims ever since.

What should i do? go to a scrap yard and buy used ones? do i explain this to them when i get my 20 day call back?

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
Booked my turn in appointment and the rep from the settlement phone line mentioned all the items to bring with me and she specifically mentioned original MAG rims
What if i don't have them? She said it's in the settlement agreement but i can't find it anywhere.....are they really being this stingy?
mine were damaged over the years from potholes during the winter thaws and i have used steel rims ever since.
What should i do? go to a scrap yard and buy used ones? do i explain this to them when i get my 20 day call back?
I would turn it back with the rims and see if it flies. If not go back with some MAG's or try another stealer,

zaphod99

TDI
2013 Passat 6MT, '86 Golf D, '78 Rabbit D
As others have said in this thread, the settlement agreement makes no mention of the original wheels, so VW/Ricepoint don't have a leg to stand on.

I returned mine on steelies about 6 weeks ago. This triggered an additional 10-15 minute call from the RP agent to the "mother-ship", but after that they took the car as is. I overheard the agent answering a question with "yes that all that's missing". So I guess once they realized that I wasn't a "stripper" they backed off.

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the reply. I hope it will go well. Please do keep us posted.
I dropped it off Tuesday morning and by Wednesday afternoon it was ready. The rental was a Dodge Charger. Ugh.

Performance is more or less the same with a bit of extra noise from the engine. Nothing intrusive, just noticeable.

xpert

TDI
I am glad it worked for you! Thanks for sharing. The problem may be only with Passats according to my dealer. I had to do the oil change and I was told that they cannot do any Passats at this time. One of the parts is not available. I have to call from time to time to inquire if the missing part has become available.

So: anyone with a Passat that had Phase 2 performed lately?

Wildrabbit79

TDI
Golf Jetta Golf Sportwagen
Mine is going under the knife next Tuesday and I haven't heard anything. When I booked the appointment he did comment that I was lucky it was a Golf because parts for other models are back-ordered.
Just had our 2015 Sportwagen done.
Noticed performance drop off. Severe lag in throttle response, at all speeds. That was eliminated and working fine after phase 1 correction.
Power managed different, I don't like it.
Engine noise much louder, especially under full throttle.
Fuel mileage similar. Gobbles up DEF fluid.
Be aware that, on some of the modifications, the sub frame is taken apart, as well as the right lower control arm.
A front end alignment will be required. My wife came home from the dealer, and I took note of how the driver side wheel was pointing. When I went to the right side of the car the wheel was pointing the other way. That's when I called the dealer and found out the car frame was taken apart.
The dealer then booked another appointment. An alignment was made. The vehicle was way in the red.
The steering wheel was off to the left, asked for that to be fixed, and was not centered.
At least the alignment is correct now. Have to back again to get the steering wheel aligned. The steering used to have no play in it. Now there is noticeable play or dead spot when changing direction. I hate that.
It is these small performance and handling issues that really have left me dissappointed. It also took a week to complete. Had to wait for parts.
I contacted the class action lawyers and there are many of us, with settlement phase 2 problems, with the same complaints.
A friend had his phase 2 and was happy with no complaints.
When I examined his steering, it was way out as well. He was oblivious to the steering wheel being tilted to the left and again the alignment was visibly noticeable by just standing in the front of the vehicle. Same situation for him.
The vehicle hesitated and he was ok with this, saying he didn't like it, but expected some differences.

Most owners just think everything is OK because the dealer just did the phase 2.
The settlement must be quoted. Read the settlement, no changes in engine noise, fuel economy, performance or driveability. "No changes" is what convinced me to take the fix. Right up to phase 2 I was really pleased with this vehicle.

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
Noticed performance drop off. Severe lag in throttle response, at all speeds. That was eliminated and working fine after phase 1 correction.
Power managed different, I don't like it.
Engine noise much louder, especially under full throttle.
I agree with the observations, but not to the same degree.

There does seem to be a bit more lag in the throttle. I have assumed it was because I had changed the throttle with OBDEleven and it has changed back. I will be checking that this weekend, but if wasn't changed during Phase 2 I can definitely see how the stock setting would be annoying.

The engine is definitely louder, even my wife noticed it. But having driven it some more, it's not overly intrusive and I am used to it.

I also paid for an alignment since I had hit a pot hole previously. But, from looking at the pre and post settings I think the phase 2 modifications were the cause of it being out.

brad94sc

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI/2015 Jetta TDI
My 2015 Jetta 6sp is in the dealership is we speak getting phase 2 done... hopefully it goes smoothly and I don't notice much difference!
I just got it a few months ago and been very happy with it so far.