For those travelling to TDIFest.....

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
A couple of tips for uneventful traveling in the Bluegrass State

-Interstate speeds are 70 mph. Having said that, 75 mph is 99% safe (there is always ONE joker in the deck police-wise). Do pay attention when travelling near cities 'cause the speed limit can and does change. 5 mph over is usually safe in these areas, if you must speed....:rolleyes:

-If you see a marked construction zone with a reduced speed limit, BELIEVE IT!!!! KSP loves to work these zones and ticket folks. Speed at your own risk, irregardless of what the other driver's are doing. I just set the cruise and motor on.

-If coming from the North down I-75, the local/county cops diligently work the 10 mile section from the Ohio river to south of Florence. This is one of those reduced speed areas, so beware.

-When you get in Lexington/Fayette county, drive diligently. The metro police LOVE to hide and play with their lasers. Therefore you V1 folks need to BELIEVE those 'false' alarms. They also use motorcycles to good effect, pop over the rise and there they are. Beware.

-New Circle Road/Route 4 is 55 mph in limited access areas, and as marked where there are signals. Police are serious about this. Man-o-War is 45 mph in most places. These roads are essential when traveling about Lexington.

-If you're going to Woodford Reserve or Buffalo Trace, you will probably be traveling on US 60 West. Speed limit is 55 mph for most of the route, with some 45 mph areas. KSP LOVES to work this area, and cut very little slack on speed.

-Oh yeah. ALL the police in Kentucky are doing targeted enforcement for non-seat belt use. Therefore, they are doing traffic stops with this as a primary offense. Be warned.

I'll let the other local folks post the things I've forgotten.

Have fun on your trip. Be safe. Try not to meet other folks in my line of work........

Bruce

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
What about triple digit speeds? :D

My last speeding ticket was in the Vanagon, oddly enough. Even the Blue Brick it seems was built for the Autobahn!

Thanks for the tips, Bruce! See you soon.

THChemE

TDI
none at this time
Southbound I-75 from Cinci to Lex is usually a risky proposition on Friday Nights due to the "Cumberland Crazies" heading to their boat homes and/or towing their toys to the lake. The reverse is true for Sunday going North. Thankfully it is 3 lanes the entire route so that you don't get blocked from "shadow drivers". Average speed? Packs going anywhere from 70 to 80, just depends on what group you are in.

Added: And lest I forget to warn you...turn signals are very seldom used. See that guy next to you with no indication that he is coming over? Well, he IS coming over and won't stop just because you are there. Lane changes happen on a whim and if that's where the other driver wants to go, he WILL go. I've been run off the road far too many times in my 1.5 years living here. Mostly in the city, but they take the same carelessness to the highways as well.

Last edited:

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
My last speeding ticket was in the Vanagon, oddly enough. Even the Blue Brick it seems was built for the Autobahn!
I don't share that viewpoint. Once 60 hits I'm laying off the accelerator...though you need to floor it to keep it at 60 anyway....I think it was made for 35mph :)

Great reconnaissance work from the Fest organizer!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I don't share that viewpoint. Once 60 hits I'm laying off the accelerator...though you need to floor it to keep it at 60 anyway....I think it was made for 35mph :)

Great reconnaissance work from the Fest organizer!
You musta had one sick Vanagon, LOL!!! Even my '71, 1600 engine and all, would cruise at 65 without any problems.. and it was a Westy! :p

The CV engine in the early '80s [gas] Vanagon makes 70hp... no barn stormer but they will hold 70 just fine, I usually wind it up to 75+ unless I am towing something.

The waterboxers, 1.9L and 2.1L, making 87 and 95 hp, respectively, will go as fast as you care to make the engine spin. Beeing boxers, though, they are perfectly happy at 5000 RPMs all day long. Well, at least until you have to stop and feed them.

deegingerkid

Beware the Ginger! Vendor
TDI
"Blurple" 2000 New Beetle 5M 2006 Jetta has been SOLD
The I-75/I-71 bridge through downtown cincy is under major construction and is down to one lane in either direction. Take I-275 around the east side of town if you value not sitting in stopped traffic on a bridge that frankly scares the heck out of me when traffic is moving....this comes from my father and brother who sat on the bridge both ways in stop and go traffic for an hour in each direction about two weeks ago. No. Thanks.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Another potential issue with the I-71/I-75 bridge across the Ohio river - if you plan to leave the TDIFest on Sunday night going north. Sunday evening is the Riverfest fireworks display on the river in Cincinnati. Traffic will be an incredible mess from about 9:45 until well after midnight. Going around Cincinnati on I-275 will be much faster than the "short" route straight through town. During the above stated hours avoid the bridge, downtown Cincy, and "the cut in the hill" at all costs (unless you like parking lots on the expressway).

Have Fun!

Don

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Thanks for the heads up, I will be heding down there tomorrow morning and will plan on taking I-275 around Cinci. on the way thru.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
Also the I-65 bridge over the Ohio River in Louisville is not fun because you have to be in the far right lane to make your exit, and this ramp feeds both I-71 north and I-64 east. There are a couple construction areas on I-64 between Louisville and Frankfort, including one stretch where they are working on expanding I-64 to three lanes in each direction and have one westbound lane on each side of the permanent median. I coped with a similar arrangement on the tollway when I was passing throughout the Chicago area when they were rebuilding it south of 95th St.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Compared to typical Boston traffic the trip from Dayton straight down to Lexington was a breeze this morning. Even in the construction areas I, and almost everyone else, was at 65+.
I think I had to back off to 50 or so in one area, but then it was right back up.