Need rear control arm bushing how to

Westro

Veteran Member
TDI
At one point there was a "how to" on the rear control arm bushing replacement. About dropping the trailing arm and replacing the two bushings. Also are there "TT" bushings out there that are stiffer?

Thanks

mk3

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS 5-speed
This is what I had 'bookmarked' for this job. I just got new bushings this week and hope to put them in very soon. For tools I was thinking of starting with my harbor freight front wheel bearing kit and see what I can accomplish.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=254483

The above link takes you to a thread about tools but I think within it there is a link to or a list of instructions.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Um, mk3 I think your thread is more on the rear axle bushings not the rear control arm bushings.

What we did was we had a 3/4 drive socket that fit the hole just right and we pressed the old bushing out in a press. You could get a pipe close to the outer diameter of the bushing and brace it up in a vise and it would likely work as well. Or you could cut the rubber out and then cut the metal out being sure to cut toward the most metal as you will have to cut into the outer cage some since it is rounded.

Install. I put in the vise and just rotated around a little bit at a time on the outsides. If it gets kinks a little you just do the side sticking out the most and even it back up. Really easy-did 4 this way.

If you are doing the rear axle bushing then using Dave-bugs tool is GREAT. Only way to go. You cut the rubber out again and then cut what is likely going to be plastic cage out (some were metal). Then use his tool. Well worth the money as the bushing is well oversized and needs to be aligned just right and forced just right or it won't go in. I didn't have to take the break likes nor the brackets off to get to them but it was a lot of tension on the brake lines to do this. Better just taking the brake lines off but then you need Vag Com to bleed the air from the ABS brake system.

mk3

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS 5-speed
Um, mk3 I think your thread is more on the rear axle bushings not the rear control arm bushings. .
doh! Sorry. I guess I assumed the term 'control arm' had been loosely substituted for axle. So, we're talking about the rear-most bushings of the front control arm?

I'm doing that this weekend but I purchased a completed set of front control arms with bushings and other associated parts from blauparts to avoid the mess. I've replaced bushings in this type of control arm before. What I recall is cutting out the rubber somehow, then hacksaw or similar to remove the sleeve. I pressed the bushing in with a hydraulic press at work.

yes, the TT bushings I have seen do not have the voids in them and therefore would be stiffer.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Oops, not enough coffee yet... Yep REAR :eek: I thought there was a how-to for that also. If not here, check out HERE

mk3

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS 5-speed
One site that I checked listed the same part for Audi TT and VW Jetta for the bushing of the rear axle. Germanautoparts has the same price to the penny for both items. That doesn't totally prove they are the same, however. You would need to check ETKA to be more certain.