Upper strut mounts failing? (pic)

Jeff Heyerman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Wagon (Mk IV)
Opened my hood this am to add washer fluid, and noticed this. Is the shock top sitting higher than it should? It struck me as high, but I just may not have noticed before. Car only has ~125,000 km but it is 10 years old...

The J

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
i could have sworn that this gap was normal. if i remember correctly, my gti had it with stock, h&r race, and 20th anniversary springs, all with new upper strut bushings and bearings. nothing was loose, it just looks weird due to the gap. i'll have to check my tdi to compare.

EDIT: The more I think of it, my GTI with 20th anniversary springs and NO SPACER had no gap.

Last edited:

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
B5 Passat BHW - 6 speed manual
I wouldn't be too concerned if it's driving ok... Mine sit like that after a sports suspension installation. Drives just fine. :)

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
dont replace it just because you have a gap! do a bounce test, drive on some ragged road, but don't judge it just by that air gap

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
The rubber squishes downsome over the years and the strut cap raises a little. Don't worry about it. This is normal. Just replace the bearings/mounts when the struts are replaced.

--Nate

Jeff Heyerman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Wagon (Mk IV)
I think I just panicked a bit since I hadn't noticed the gap before. The corner bounce test has the car stop in two cycles of bounce, so suspension seems ok. Guess I'll leave it.

Thanks for replies, guys!
Jeff

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
When you do get to replacing those mounts there is a little aluminum spacer available at the dealer so I'd imagine online as well.

I added them to mine as an offset to the skid plate I added.

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
I'm pretty sure mine have always been like that, too. Replaced front struts within the last 10K miles, same before / after.

The J

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
I think this may have to do with the presence of the metal spacer that is on some of the mk4 suspensions. My GTI had it from the factory, and I kept it in during my 1st suspension install of Neuspeed Race springs. Same gap.

I then went to 20th anniversary GTI springs and took out the spacer. I don't think I had any gap after that. (I can't be certain; the car has been sold so I can't check -- sorry for my earlier post about it being the same.)

My TDI does not have the spacer, and does not have a gap.

The spacer goes between the strut bearing and that metal ring that contains the top of the spring.