What did you do to your car today?

golftdi140

TDI
2011 golf tdi
Went from this

To this

It's a lot shorter than the OEM one (duh!) and a little tight particularly on the 1-2 and R side. Even with that it's nicer than the stock one by far. It'll break in and loosen up.

My 5 speed one I had for 150k miles and loved it - I was tired of the OEM 6 speed one before 1500 miles

Great product from Diesel Geek!
I did this last year in my 2011 golf and have lovedbit ever since. I did experience an issue with 1 & 2 so I compensated the adjustment slightly from just setting home position and tightening. Wish it was a tad cheaper though. But yes highly recommended.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
I did this last year in my 2011 golf and have lovedbit ever since. I did experience an issue with 1 & 2 so I compensated the adjustment slightly from just setting home position and tightening. Wish it was a tad cheaper though. But yes highly recommended.

The adjustment is fine, it's just stiff to push into gear and stiff to pull out of gear wheras 3rd and 4th kind of fall in and fall out - you can feel the springs on the synchro clips as you push past them and it falls into gear. You have to pull it all the way out of 1st and it will almost stay wherever you let go of it on the left side of the pattern - I'm not sure it's the shifter, but it didn't do it with the OEM one.

$200 is a bit high, but it's a high quality piece - the plastic bearing is much improved over the OEM one, all billet aluminum pieces, stainless hardware, spherical bearings on the pivots - this thing will outlast the car. I'm guessing there is not much middle ground from a design/price standpoint. Once you go custom, you go all the way like the DG unit. I'd rather pay $200 for this than $100-$150 for a modified OEM one or one that only shortens side to side.

golftdi140

TDI
2011 golf tdi
The adjustment is fine, it's just stiff to push into gear and stiff to pull out of gear wheras 3rd and 4th kind of fall in and fall out - you can feel the springs on the synchro clips as you push past them and it falls into gear. You have to pull it all the way out of 1st and it will almost stay wherever you let go of it on the left side of the pattern - I'm not sure it's the shifter, but it didn't do it with the OEM one.

$200 is a bit high, but it's a high quality piece - the plastic bearing is much improved over the OEM one, all billet aluminum pieces, stainless hardware, spherical bearings on the pivots - this thing will outlast the car. I'm guessing there is not much middle ground from a design/price standpoint. Once you go custom, you go all the way like the DG unit. I'd rather pay $200 for this than $100-$150 for a modified OEM one or one that only shortens side to side.
I agree it is very high quality. I did not hesitate to buy lol. My issue with adjustment was when I went left it would hit the lock for R in the car before the tranny actually got the 1-2 position. I stalled a few times only to realize I was in third. I wonder if that's your problem too. Try taking the side to side cable and pull a couple threads of slack out of it and retighten. That way when u go left it will push the selector farther down before hitting the lock in the car. I believe that's correct its been awhile since I looked at it. Another test is to put in third and measure left right play then put in 1st and see if its really tight left to right. Hope it helps !

SoKYTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 4-door
I just filled up for my second 800+ tank in a row, with about 60/40 Hwy/Cty...:) I go like 58mph everywhere, maybe 60
And THAT's why I'll never turn those kinds of numbers. I like to get where I'm going in a reasonable amount of time.:D

SD26

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI 5sp, 2002 Jetta TDI 5sp
Well, lots of little things... Went and changed to MTL in the trans, playing with thermostats...

Took a trip, and I thought that the engine note sounded a little loud. Looks like the cat has came off the exhaust at the rear of the cat. I'm a thousand miles from home... What's the short answer for a fix, and what's a proper fix for longevity? Is it ultimately an issue with the stainless material used for OEM that eventually rots vs what ID Parts has as a replacement downpipe, then a cat... Looking at MPG as my ultimate goal, is there any reason to go over the stock 2"? Didn't come up with much on the search side...

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Short/quick fix is whatever you can do with what you've got. It won't hurt anything while it's broke after the cat.

Long term fix has a lot of options. If it's MPG's and cost only, then repair with standard 2" or 2-1/4" aluminized steel pipe at your local muffler shop. The other end of the spectrum is to go full stainless from a few different vendors for significant $$.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Ordered a solar battery tender.......

Ive been driving the 85 jetta TD so much the battery in the golf went nearly dead from neglect.

SD26

Veteran Member
TDI
Short/quick fix is whatever you can do with what you've got. It won't hurt anything while it's broke after the cat.
So, being broke after the cat is good? I think I read something about "bark" and breaking the turbo shaft?

Long term fix has a lot of options. If it's MPG's and cost only, then repair with standard 2" or 2-1/4" aluminized steel pipe at your local muffler shop. The other end of the spectrum is to go full stainless from a few different vendors for significant $$.
I noticed no talk about replacing the cat? :D

Probably not a problem in Wisconsin with no inspections on diesels...

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Golf GLS, '01 Dodge/Cummins
Don't worry about bark or over boost spikes on a stock set up. Just wire up the loose end so it doesn't drop to the pavement until you can slice in a short section of pipe. It's a bit surprising that the stock pipe rusted as it is stainless. An inspection of the whole system would seem prudent.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
What Darkhorse said - you're fine except for the drone on your eardrums. Guys run straight pipes on VNT15's for years and hundreds of thousands of miles without troubles.

Weather you keep or remove your cat or not is up to you. I don't personally run one, however have no problems with those that do or want to for whatever reason.

You might find an independant shop down there who will weld in a pipe quick for $50 or less if you want a quick fix.

Good luck on the rest of your trip.

SD26

Veteran Member
TDI
Don't worry about bark or over boost spikes on a stock set up. Just wire up the loose end so it doesn't drop to the pavement until you can slice in a short section of pipe. It's a bit surprising that the stock pipe rusted as it is stainless. An inspection of the whole system would seem prudent.

What Darkhorse said - you're fine except for the drone on your eardrums. Guys run straight pipes on VNT15's for years and hundreds of thousands of miles without troubles.

Weather you keep or remove your cat or not is up to you. I don't personally run one, however have no problems with those that do or want to for whatever reason.

You might find an independant shop down there who will weld in a pipe quick for $50 or less if you want a quick fix.
Dark...Fix...

Thanks a bunch!

On our food hunt (Publix), I did find a little repair shop. Agreed...If I can get a quick fix, that would be nice. Amazingly, the drone and sound wasn't too bad...I noticed it, but the wife unit didn't notice at all. Then again, we're driving a turbo diesel with a .681 fifth rather than her Focus running at higher RPM's doing the same speed. :D

SD26

Veteran Member
TDI
Picked up my first TDI on Thursday from the dealer. And dropped it off Friday for some window tint. Strange thing, I actually look forward to getting behind the wheel again.
:D

LOL! I now have two TDI's... Can one have enough of them?

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
:D

LOL! I now have two TDI's... Can one have enough of them?
nope - I just picked up my 4th ...:D
I bought my mother in law an 05 Passat TDI 2 years ago and unchained it, my 16 year old daughter learned to drive her 02 Jetta TDI as an automatic, then when she was comfortable I did a 5 speed swap :) (not too many of her friends can drive a stick :rolleyes:) I still have my 02 Jetta TDI hot rod I bought new, and I just picked up a low mileage 04 Jetta TDI for the wife.

spartan

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon
I bought a clutch pedal... and everything else needed to make it useful!

Kingcodez

Veteran Member
TDI
00-Beetle
I used some Macguire's polishing compound and turned my heavily soot stained bumper into a nice shiny white one. It also took off the stick man that I drew in oil not knowing that it would stay in the paint. :)

skully

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2013 GLI Autobahn w/nav, 2014 BMW 328d wagon
I actually did this Friday, but I just picked up a new 2012 Jetta TDI w/NAV. I then spent my weekend shuffling cars around, driving my girlfriend around, and researching the mk6. Now I can take the mk4 off the road for a while so I can actually fix some of the nagging issues I couldn't spend enough time on before.

First order of business for the mk4: pulling the dash and cleaning up a ton of wiring I added since the last time I pulled the dash. Then I need to find a weekend to get it down to Matt (or get Matt up here) to do a compression test, install the EGT probe, and figure out this stubborn oil leak.

First order of business for the mk6: Dieselgeek skid plate and short shift kit. :D

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Since Friday: New parking brake cables in IBW so I can pass inspection, also put some dye in the engine to see if chill and I can locate a very small leak it seems to have: might be the rear main seal but we can't tell.

Put the 17s back on the Golf: I'm hoping that warmer weather, Konis more broken in, and lower tire pressures will make the ride better. Took a short drive and it does seem better. Vacuumed both cars.

And the Miata got its KYB adjustable shocks, Hawk blue brake pads, and shaved Dunlop Star Spec tires. Boy those brake pads make dust, and the tires are uber-sticky. I dropped its hard top off for paint.

SoKYTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 4-door
Installed the first of the LED interior lights. What brought that on was the loaner Grand Caravan we had while my wife's was in the body shop. LEDs are very nice!

I also washed & waxed it for the first time this year. :cool:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Installed the first of the LED interior lights. What brought that on was the loaner Grand Caravan we had while my wife's was in the body shop. LEDs are very nice!

I also washed & waxed it for the first time this year. :cool:
Did you go with a kit or just get individual bulbs? Source?

mlemorie

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
After staring at them for nearly 2 years, I got my foglights installed in my lower grilles. Need to aim them down though, they are Hella's DE Driving xenons, and they shine a bit higher than I would like. They look fantastic though, and I can definitely see whats infront of me better.

BarnyardsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG, Malone Stage 2 (all emissions intact), HID's, Sunroof, Dynaudio, NAV
Took care of engine cover wobble with a little gorilla tape on the one of the posts. Also taped up the edges of the hood liner until I can take it to the dealer to have the thing replaced. Drove it alot this weekend.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Headed to the dealer to troubleshoot drone at highway speeds. Got a rear wheel bearing going out. Also, early oil change to get back to an even 10K-mile interval. Rotella T6 5w40 (CJ-4) out, Amsoil AMO 10w40 (CI-4+) in.

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
I keep having this problem, every time I fill up the mileage is higher and higher.

This tank was 52.7 mpg; beating on it on Friday and stuck in traffic for an hour too.

mlemorie

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
My injectors are supposed to get back from DBW tomorrow, and work schedule permitting, I should have them in this weekend. I would be elated to finally break into the 50s