What size is the lug nut "key"?

dayne66

Veteran Member
TDI
(TRADED)2006 Jetta TDI Package 3 (Cdn) 5 sp
I would like to get an aftermarket one that fits directly on the 1/2" drive....so I don't have to get the one out of the trunk every spring/fall.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
dayne66 said:
I would like to get an aftermarket one that fits directly on the 1/2" drive....so I don't have to get the one out of the trunk every spring/fall.
The key is 17MM, just like the lugs.

dayne66

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm looking for the star shaped side of the key...not the hex side.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
dayne66 said:
It's probably good to get into that area of your car at least every 6 months to check on condensation & the like. :rolleyes:

Lee_Taylor

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 1.4 COD
dayne66 said:
If you are referring to the anti theft bolt you will have to go to the stealer. There are about 16 different sizes I believe.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
To avoid the problem of a misplaced key, I got 4 regular lug-nuts and covers. The probability of someone stealing stock wheels is pretty low...................

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
dayne66 said:
I'm looking for the star shaped side of the key...not the hex side.
This is considered to be custom key. VW has 10 different types of these. You might need to ask at the dealership.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
15 different ones, actually, there is no "size".

If it bothers you that much just put regular wheel bolts in (I do that with all my cars...never had a wheel stolen yet).

The wheels should be coming off at every service anyways. :rolleyes:

dayne66

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks all! I think I'll get 4 regular ones and do away with the key. It's not too often that I ever park in a 'vulnerable' area anyway.

VarmintSlayer

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Trendline TDI 6spd manual Black
I bought a rounded nut remover from Princess auto, used it to remove some lock keys on my suv.

It has a reverse thread, used it with an impact gun worked really well.

Except for after getting the first one off, kinda just staring at the lock nut now enshrined it my new tool, should of bought a vice too!

Last edited:

TwoTone

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta (sold)
VarmintSlayer said:
I bought a rounded nut remover from Princess auto, used it to remove some lock keys on my suv.

It has a reverse thread, used it with an impact gun worked really well.

Except for after getting the first one off, kinda just staring at the lock nut now enshrined it my new tool, should of bought a vice too!
Chrome 12 point socket hammered on is a lot cheaper than a special tool;)

vwluca

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta GLS
Me to !!

anti theft lugs ..............................GONE 3 years ago. If they want the wheels wich i doubt (very rare situation) well they can have them, I'll get NICER ONES !!

Luc
Montreal, Canada