What did you do to your car today?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Brought the red Golf home today and it joined its newer companion:

It was hanging out in the warehouse (and a co-worker was driving it when her car died) but now that I have room in the garage it's safely tucked away.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
FUB, thank you for saying that; you are a well-respected member here and someone is always trying to say idling will prematurely kill a turbo. You do not seem to believe that rumor, and personally neither do I.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
You warm your car up for half an hour? Talk about waste and not good for the car. Get a webasto

I never understood why people spread misinformation, whereas the proof that idling isn't good or hurt the car. I've done it for years/decades especially in winter and never recall having a single issue. I will agree driving off after a minute or so, you'll get faster heat but other than that, I don't see a problem. I visit my son yesterday in Barnstead,NH. We sat in the car talking for several hours with it idling, I never shut the car till I got back home which was roughly 7 1/2 hours in total.

Bajan

CasaEd

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Passat TDi B4, VW Passat TDi B4 GL, VW Passat B3 PD AWX Conversion
Idling may not be so bad for your engine, certainly is a waste of fuel and definitely not good for the environment :eek:

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Idling may not be so bad for your engine, certainly is a waste of fuel and definitely not good for the environment ?

Lmfao, yes I waste a few cents here and there idling, but hey it’s my hard earned coins.
But Really ?
All of a sudden we pretend to care about the environmental impact of dirty diesels .
Hmmmm I doubt that.

Bajan

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
...and definitely not good for the environment :eek:
In that case you need to immediately sell ALL of your Diesel and Gasoline fossil fuel using vehicles, and buy either a SmartforTwo Electric drive or a Fiat 500e. ;)

kirktdi

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI ALH, 2013 Passat TDI SEL(retired)2017 Passat SEL
Repaired blend door. 5 hour job turned into 7 hours. Success and well worth the $6 it cost me.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Had an inspection problem: both front fenders have rust holes. I had a passenger side white fender, but the driver's side was a surprise. But I did have a silver one, so now my Golf 4-dr is a ghetto car. :( Right now I'm toying with the idea of just buying 2 new fenders and having them painted before installing. Hmmmm.....

Cheers,

PH

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Had an inspection problem: both front fenders have rust holes. I had a passenger side white fender, but the driver's side was a surprise. But I did have a silver one, so now my Golf 4-dr is a ghetto car. :( Right now I'm toying with the idea of just buying 2 new fenders and having them painted before installing. Hmmmm.....

Cheers,

PH
Drive it gheto id say. Say the $. I like to talk about great ways to save money but rarely do i follow my own advice.

FJ40Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS 5MT, '12 JSW DSG
The car had been getting noisier at idle lately, finally realized the DMF was about to fall apart. Also had noticed the clutch pedal felt 'rumbly' when depressed, indicating the TOB was dying. Pulled the trans and changed clutch this past weekend. The DMF was twisted, so accessing the FW bolts was impossible. Plaz-ed out the center of the FW to access the bolts. The TOB fell apart as it was removed from the release fork. We got our money's worth out of this 266k miles OE clutch assembly.

A new Luk 17-050 clutch & FW kit was sourced from RockAuto for ~$175. It fit & works perfect, though it also slips at WOT like the OE Sachs clutch did. Was expecting it to be grippier, per the consensus on this site. Also changed tranny oil for new 75W90 synth and adjusted shift cables. Overall, it drives like new.

Last edited:

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
The car had been getting noisier at idle lately, finally realized the DMF was about to fall apart. Also had noticed the clutch pedal felt 'rumbly' when depressed, indicating the TOB was dying. Pulled the trans and changed clutch this past weekend. The DMF was twisted, so accessing the FW bolts was impossible. Plaz-ed out the center of the FW to access the bolts. The TOB fell apart as it was removed from the release fork. We got our money's worth out of this 266k miles OE clutch assembly.

A new Luk 17-050 clutch & FW kit was sourced from RockAuto for ~$175. It fit & works perfect, though it also slips at WOT like the OE Sachs clutch did. Was expecting it to be grippier, per the consensus on this site. Also changed tranny oil for new 75W90 synth and adjusted shift cables. Overall, it drives like new.
That's a lot of work to put in a clutch that still slips...

kirktdi

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI ALH, 2013 Passat TDI SEL(retired)2017 Passat SEL
complete timing belt kit, serpentine belt, thermostat and housing, temp sensor, G12, oil dipstick tube, new air filter.....running like new

CGDoig

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta GLS MKIV
Replaced rear brake calipers @ 300k kms. The pads still have tonnes of life left and are only the 3rd set since new. Not too shabby.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Two weeks ago I changed out the rear factory replacement dampers and installed Koni STR.T's; it was an easy job (relatively speaking) and have already put over 1600 miles on them. They are significantly firmer and they are quiet too. Last weekend I replaced the front struts assemblies with all new parts--all the parts were from IDParts--the Beef on a Budget setup. The fronts are now significantly stiffer and I don't drag the front backing out of the driveway anymore. The lower valance is at the same height front and rear, even though the front appears to be higher. I have not yet installed the rear Wagon springs, and I may not unless I will be towing. I am not sure if I want the raked look on my Jetta, but maybe after towing once the spring height may settle down enough to where I don't want to remove them whenever I am not towing. I will keep you posted.

FJ40Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS 5MT, '12 JSW DSG
That's a lot of work to put in a clutch that still slips...
Yes, I'm painfully aware of that now. :(

The overdue work continues. After quieting down the DMF & TOB, other noises became more obvious, like the 260k miles wheel bearings.

Last weekend, installed new front wheel bearings & hubs. Replaced hubs so I didn't have to worry about damaging the tone ring on disassembly, and getting the inner race off that's always stuck on there.

Thursday the weather was nice, so I went to PnP JY and got a rear axle beam off a 2004 Jetta GLI w/ bigger RSB. Friday, stripped down GLI axle beam, pressed in solid SEAT Leon bushings purchased a while back from Cascade German .

Replaced rear wheel bearings & hubs. Cleaned & reset the junkyard calipers because they looked pretty new, certainly better than my 7 year old replacements. Hung new Zimmerman rotors and TRW German pads.
Swapped the fully loaded axle underneath the car, bled brakes, adjusted P-brake. Installed junkyard center console out of 2004 jetta with 3 cupholders.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
On my 2003 bug, did a complete brake job replacing the original brakes (128,000 miles), replaced the glow plug harness since we were getting codes, and replaced the right CV joint since water had gotten inside and worn out the joint,

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Put the summer wheels on. Splurged for VW storage totes for the winter wheels, since I still have money on the VW (now dealer) gift card. At 85k miles, all joints reachable from the wheel wells seem fine. Ditto for disks and pads.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Not today but three days ago, I ordered the high carbon rear rotors and ceramic pads to R&R the rear brakes on Sophie, my Jetta. I will post again after the swap occurs...

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I'm sort of in the middle of a knuckle replacement. I found that paranoid over tightening of the brake caliper pins is counter productive when the threads in the steering knuckle fail completely. Sigh...

So I bought a replacement from a local guy that recycles a lot of VW and Audi cars. It was rusty and looked ugly, but the threads are OK and the price was right. It even had attached tie rod end and LCA ball joint. Ha! Both those parts, as well as the hub and bearing are being replaced of course, but the upside is that leaving them on the knuckle preserved the tapered bore for those 2 ball joints.

I tanked the knuckle in my own electrolysis tank for cleaning iron parts. Just a plastic garbage can, water, washing soda, an old brake rotor for the sacrificial iron mass, and an old style battery charger for the power supply.

It worked great, looks like a very nicely treated part now. Last night I finished adding a new hub and bearing, a new ABS sensor, and removing the old ball joints, so it is basically ready for installation. Now I just have to finish removing the failed unit on my 4-dr. If only the rain would let up...

And yeah, I know I could have bought a complete brand new loaded one from Idparts for not much more than the stuff I've used and avoided the hassle, but I have parts to use up. And sometimes I'm just stubborn that way. Most of the new parts came from Idparts in the distant past anyway, so... !

Cheers,

PH

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Oil, Fuel, Air & Cabin filters and fresh oil last night - Good for another 15k km!

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Wow - This thread used to be bumped several times a day. Guess things have slowed down around here a bit...

What I did this weekend:
- Timing belt and associated components
- Air Filter
- Oil Filter & Oil Change
- Transmission oil change, using GM Synchromesh
- Did some logging for tune updates
- New A/C Condenser

Last weekend
- Front wheel bearings
- Front brake pads
- Finished FMIC install

Weekend before that
- New hitch built and installed

Hopefully good for another 100k (currently at 272k)