Cheap, wireless VCDS alternative

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
I was turned on to this by a couple VW technicians who gave this tool the thumbs up. It's sold by Deutsche Auto Parts and the product is called OBDeleven.

It's a very compact OBD2 dongle and is a wireless Bluetooth setup. Currently it only works with Android devices.

After watching this review it appears that it is every bit as capable as VCDS, it's just not as intuitive, the label files aren't as complete for measured values, basic settings, adaptations as well as that handy dandy long coding helper VCDS has.

So, while you can do everything VCDS can, it's not as intuitive or easy to do many of those jobs. But, if you know what you're doing, it still gets the job done.

Only runs $60. I haven't purchased one yet, but it definitely piqued my interest, especially once I heard a couple VW technicians sing its praises.

For me, it won't replace VCDS, especially for the more advanced jobs, but there is a certain attraction to the price, capability and the fact that it's wireless that I will almost certainly be picking one up at one point and use it for certain jobs where having a cable hooked to the car is a little less than convenient.

Thought I should share. I am not at all affiliated with the product nor Deutsche Auto Parts, but this is one of those rare moments that a product got my attention and figured it was worth sharing with everyone.

99anSmokin

TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI
Anybody have any personal experience with this device? I dont have VCDS nor do i know anyone local to my area with it either. Seems this would be nice even if you did have VCDS to keep in the vehicle.

Matt-98AHU

TDI
I finally bought one myself and have been playing with it.

There seems to be an issue with communication timing when performing basic settings on VE rotary pump cars. The PDs don't seem to have a problem with it, however.

At this time, you cannot properly check injection pump base timing due to this issue. I have sent them feedback about it and they have been responsive. I actually did receive an update to the software last night and have yet to verify if anything has improved in this regard. But on the AHU and the ALH I've tried it on before the update, the issue was present. The glow plug light flash rate while performing the basic setting is a little odd and the pump timing in field 2 bounces all over the place. Completely different story when you hook VCDS to it.

It is still under development and I suspect this WILL be resolved. Any and every issue, like with any product, needs to be reported to their developers so they can investigate and implement a fix, so I'm doing my part. I've occasionally sent suggestions to Ross-Tech for VCDS myself for similar stuff. Both companies seem to care quite a lot and do investigate possible bugs and keep on top of updates to fix said issues that users encounter.

I will report back as soon as I've verified that the basic settings issue is resolved. I do use VCDS all the time as well and have since 2006, so I still use that as my baseline to check against.

It does indeed otherwise do as the review posted above says. Accesses control modules just like a factory tool, adaptation, coding, basic settings, faults, measured values, they're all there. VCDS is just more convenient to use at this time and has better labels and built-in hints/tips.

The developers are also working on a long coding helper, a lot like VCDS, for Mk5 and newer cars as well. It's very much a work in progress, but it has great potential.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
For $60 it's likely worth it if it does in fact connect to all modules.
It speaks KKL, CAN and CAN-UDS, not sure if that covers older models.
Many of these companies will charge for software/firmware updates down the road.

KyMoonshine

TDI
2009 TDI Jetta Sport Wagon
I realize this thread is over a year old but I have been searching all over and this is about as close to my inquiry as I can find, I sold Vag-Com after I turned my Sportwagen in to Volkswagen but have since purchase an ALH Golf and want to do a timing belt replacement and need to time the injection pump and trying to find out if OBDeleven has that capability and does it work properly? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Matt-98AHU

TDI
I am happy to report that a recent software update to OBDEleven also included a firmware update to the dongle and for me at least, basic settings in EDC15 and older TDIs is now working correctly.

So yes, as of now, base pump timing can be checked accurately (basic setting 000), you can do tests of the EGR accurately (basic setting 03), pump timing advance (b.s. 04), and turbo/N75 operation (b.s. 11).