Car starts for 2 seconds then dies

vwjettadsl

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
TDI’s
Working on a 1999.5 Jetta 5-speed (not the one in my sig). Car starts for up for about 1-2 seconds then dies, but it doesn't always start. Usually it only starts up for 1-2 seconds if has been left sitting for awhile. If you try starting it repeatedly it gets to the point where it won't start up, it will just turn over.

Any ideas?

So far I've checked the 109 Relay, found that it wasn't sending power to fuse #32, #34 or #43. Fixed that problem, but still no start.

Installed new fuel filter, and cracked open injector lines to bleed any of the air out. Still no start.

Any ideas? Bad fuel pump?

vwjettadsl

TDI
TDI’s
FlyTDI Guy said:
Sounds like an immobilizer problem.
I wish it were that easy, I've experienced immobilizer problems before. But this is a 99.5 model, no immobilizer installed, so it has to be something else.

vwjettadsl

TDI
TDI’s
whitedog said:
Anti shudder valve. Check my signature.
I've read section 5 of your thread already. EGR valve is clean no gunk in it. Its definitely open.

Any other ideas?:(

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Check for voltage to the shut off solenoid on the pump. See if it goes away when the car dies.

vwjettadsl

TDI
TDI’s
whitedog said:
Check for voltage to the shut off solenoid on the pump. See if it goes away when the car dies.
Nope, still has around 11.5 volts after it dies.

vwjettadsl

TDI
TDI’s
VeeDubTDI said:
Any codes stored in the computer?
There were some codes stored, but after I fixed the bad connections that was causing the 109 relay not to work, I cleared them and they haven't come back. I think the codes were related to the bad connections.

But the codes were:

17552 / P1144 - Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor G70, open circuit/short to ground

17849 / P1441 - EGR Vacuum Regulator Solenoid Valve N18, open circuit/short to ground

18025 / P1617 - Glow Plug Indicator Lamp K29, open circuit/short to ground

18027 / P1619 - Glow Plug Relay J52, open circuit/short to ground

18047 / P1639 - Throttle Position (TP) Sensor 1/2 G79 + sensor 2 G185, implausible signal

None of these codes should prevent the car from starting.

vwjettadsl

TDI
TDI’s
joetdi said:
What does the airfilter and snow screen look like?
Air filter is clean, snow screen only had a minimal amount of debris, nothing to worry about.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
How about that Anti shudder valve? You can unplug it and see if it still shuts down.

Did you just do an auto-to five speed swap by chance?

vwjettadsl

TDI
TDI’s
whitedog said:
How about that Anti shudder valve? You can unplug it and see if it still shuts down.

Did you just do an auto-to five speed swap by chance?
WOW! I unplugged to vacuum hose and the car ran! It ran really rough with lots of white smoke, but it ran. Strange because whenever I looked at the EGR lever it was always open, but I guess whenever I tried starting it it would close up.

Now is the EGR bad or what? Theres only a light oily film inside of it, no carbon build up.

THANKS!

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Did you happen to swap that wire wire with the one that goes to the CCV heater on the intake hose? I've heard of this happening. I won't mention who did this, because I hate to embarrass myself that way.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Hold on. Which vacuum hose did you take off? Was it the bigger one going to the silver fitting on top or the smaller one going to the black plastic thingie on the back side?

vwjettadsl

TDI
TDI’s
whitedog said:
Hold on. Which vacuum hose did you take off? Was it the bigger one going to the silver fitting on top or the smaller one going to the black plastic thingie on the back side?
I tried both, but its the smaller one that dictates whether it runs or not.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
whitedog said:
You gotta stop with the technical terms. Silver fitting, black thingie... You mean the anti-shudder valve or the EGR. I wasn't sure about the 99.5's and immobilizer. I know there was an Immob-I but what years it applied to I dunno.

So, vwjettadsl... unhooking your EGR allows your car to start (albeit crummily (another tech term)). That doesn't make sense. The car should run with the EGR open or closed. You would, however, throw a code if it weren't cooperating. Now the anti-shudder valve will shut the car down pronto. Let us know your findings...

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
I bet the connectors are reversed on the CCV heater and the anti shutter valve.. when they get reversed (too easy to do) the anti shutter valve will close almost as soon as the engine starts..

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
By his last post, it's the smaller one that dictates if the engine runs, so I'm thinking that's the ASV.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
TDIJetta99 said:
when they get reversed (too easy to do) the anti shutter valve will close almost as soon as the engine starts..
I've heard of that happening before. :eek:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
TDIJetta99 said:
haha yep.. me too... took me an hour to figure out why the f my car kept shutting right off..
I drove mine with the ASV solenoid unhooked for over a year before digging in to figure it out.

joetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2-2002 Jettas W/Auto
It almost sounds as if when he unplugs the EGR valve it runs better. If this is the case I did have a car that had the wire connectors reversed for the N75 and EGR.

vwjettadsl

TDI
TDI’s
Well today I got a chance to pull the EGR valve off the car and gave it a good cleaning although there was only a 1mm oily coating in it. Installed back on the car hooked up the small vacuum hose coming from the N239 and tried to start it, engine dies about 5 seconds after I started it. So next I removed the N239 and swapped it with one from another 99.5 Jetta, hooked everything up and it started up fine. Car ran rough but I quickly resolved that issue by adjusting the IQ.

So if your car won't start and it appears that the EGR valve isn't stuck, check your N239.

Thanks everybody for your input, especially whitedog, now I can call up the owner and tell him the good news.

MikeMac

TDI
2000 Beetle TDI
whitedog said:
Did you happen to swap that wire wire with the one that goes to the CCV heater on the intake hose? I've heard of this happening. I won't mention who did this, because I hate to embarrass myself that way.
I just did it after cleaning the intake manifold. Strange thing though the car started fine yesterday and ran for about 10 minutes before I shut it off. Today it would start and die immediately. After I switched the wires it runs perfectly.