be sure to use synthetic blinker fluid

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
-Whitey: 2000 Jetta GLS, Red: 2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
The reason so many people have trouble when switching to LED bulbs is that they fail to flush all of the OEM Blinker Fluid out and replace it with the proper ether based lubricant. Light behaves as both a particle and a wave. Since LED's produce light differently than filament type vacuum bulbs, a different medium is needed for proper transference of the electro-magnetic energy that they produce in the visible spectrum.

Here is some more info about ether theory:
http://www.ldolphin.org/graps.html

The problem with Australian blinker fluids is that they use Emu oil and the Society of German Automotive Electrical Engineers is a major supporter of PETA. They require their members to add animal based oil detection and fault generation to every automotive electrical design they produce.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
LurkerMike said:
The problem with Australian blinker fluids is that they use Emu oil and the Society of German Automotive Electrical Engineers is a major supporter of PETA. They require their members to add animal based oil detection and fault generation to every automotive electrical design they produce.
Don't they use whale or fish oil for this in Japan?

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
lovemybug said:
Don't they use whale or fish oil for this in Japan?
Yes, but it is synthetic Whale Oil now. ;)

I like to add a little Neet's Foot Oil to my signal fluid. Neet's foot oil is what you wanted to run in your Hudson Hornet's wet clutch back in the days when Hudson's dominated NASCAR.

LeeM

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE, 2002 Jetta Reflex Silver
I believe that one needs to use an aether based lubricant when dealing with light.

DrewD

Veteran Member
I'm sorry if this is a repeat but this thread is rather long and I may have missed the answer to my question.

Do PD TDI's require 505.01 blinker oil or can non-505.01 blinker oil be used in PDs? I'm leaning towards using Delvac blinkeroil (505.00 rated) but heard that DBW noticed excessive turn signal stalk wear from unapproved blinker fluid use.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
DrewD said:
I'm sorry if this is a repeat but this thread is rather long and I may have missed the answer to my question.

Do PD TDI's require 505.01 blinker oil or can non-505.01 blinker oil be used in PDs? I'm leaning towards using Delvac blinkeroil (505.00 rated) but heard that DBW noticed excessive turn signal stalk wear from unapproved blinker fluid use.
I wouldn't know. I've got a VE TDI. I'm looking in to the Amsoil full synthetic blinkeroil for mine. According to the website, it's interchangeable as to right or left so you only need to buy one type. Some might not approve, though, because it's not listed on the VW approved list.

Da8tona

TDI
Golf 2005 silver
I drained all my blinker fluid to see what would happen and now whenever I step on the brakes I hear this farting noise coming from all the light sockets and the bulbs have a somewhat greenish glow. No smell, but then I have sinus problems from sniffing blinker fluid. I'm not hooked or anything, however, does anyone know where I can buy a 50 gallon barrel?

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
Da8tona said:
I drained all my blinker fluid to see what would happen and now whenever I step on the brakes I hear this farting noise coming from all the light sockets and the bulbs have a somewhat greenish glow. No smell, but then I have sinus problems from sniffing blinker fluid. I'm not hooked or anything, however, does anyone know where I can buy a 50 gallon barrel?
I am working on a special bio-blend made from chicken lips... but I think it's gonna take a lots of chickens to get enough chicken lips to make 50 gallons! :eek:

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
Da8tona said:
I think that farting noise comes from using bio-blinker fluid based on bratwurst grease or bean burito residue. It may even be from sauerkraut based bio-blinker fluid too. Just a thought.:eek:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Does anyone know if VW 509 00 blinker fluid will work in a Mk6 TDI? My turn signals seem sluggish, and I'm hoping the lubricity in 509 00 will solve that problem.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
509 is back wards compatible from everything I've read but I just don't trust it. Worse thing you want is a sticking blinker!

VwPassion

Veteran Member
TDI
Polo 1.2 Tdi '13
Real-life shows that (almost...) nothing is compatible backwards . Newer specs are for emissions tests and fuel less consumption but they not care for engine longevity . Planned obsolescence...

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Just wake up Rip Van Winkle? ;)
I actually bought another tractor from the OP. And in our conversation, we were talking about newer muffler bearings made of a composite material, and VW's new spec of blinker fluid.

I also heard that 509 00 blinker fluid is just a repackaged headlight fluid. Can anyone else comment on this?

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Everything comes from China anymore so nothing is forward or backward compatible. ;)
And you have to use Chinese air with Chinese tires, otherwise you void the warranty. Oddly, it seems American air is compatible with European tires, but not the other way around.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I've actually found that the air from China, Maine (my hometown)works acceptably well in Chinese tires. It does help to have a Chinese compressor though. I recommend inflating to 1776 torr when using Chinese tires.

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Back on topic. Modern blinker fluids all have a weight penalty. You can use the old British racing standard to lighten your car and thus increase horsepower to weight ratio.

The British systems even today use smoke instead of fluid. it is much lighter and faster acting than fluid based systems. Leakage can be an issue with the lighter consistency of smoke so you may have to replace the seals with proper leather ones.

I believe the chinese have come up with a simulated real leather imitation that is an exact color match to the original.

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Yes that is the Chinese standard. Sometimes for good measure they go one imitation further in copying.

Got to admit though, color match is usually very good.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Yes that is the Chinese standard. Sometimes for good measure they go one imitation further in copying.

Got to admit though, color match is usually very good.
Speaking of which, I heard KaleCo blinker fluid is now made in China. Can anyone confirm?

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Oh. I hope not. That would be a blow to enviros like me. If I remember correctly, the kale part of their name came from the using natural kale derivatives.

Synthetic stuff is desirable to many people but I prefer organic and simple. I can't get myself to use synthetic oil on my common rail even for fear of cancer risk. I stick with straight 30 weight non-detergent oil there.

I realize my cancer risk is small not living in California but, you can't be too careful anymore.

SoTxBill

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 passatdsg 10 jetdsg, 09 jetdsg, 2006 jetdsg, 2001Jet, 96passat, 86jet, 81 jet, 78pickup all vw diesel.
I had been putting off changing the blinker fluid in my TDI because R** L*** synthetic is so expensive. As an unexpected benefit, I am now able to reroute more power to the ECU core and now I can keep up with my friend's S4 Turbo.
You may want to try KaleCo's new blinker bleeder kit. I am testing one of the prototype ones as we speak. You simply start at the farthest bulb from the switch. Remove the bulb, install the bleeder and pump until you get fluid with no air bubbles. Repeat this process for all bulbs working your way to the closest light. After performing this procedure, you will not experience any more hard or spongy blinker switch. I recomend this highly to anyone already using KaleCo's synthetic blinker fluid.

Be sure to check your fluid before the hot summer months!!

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
I am trying to find a link to buy these:

The oil is a bit thicker than dot 5 blinker fluid and I think it will revolutionize the industry! Like Tesla is doing to the 'horse and buggy'

I need the 1156 model for the rear blinkers on the Beetle.

I might convert my washer fluid container to pump the fluid to the blinkers with a bunch of little hoses installed into the wiring harness.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
Don't forget, too, now that Spring is here, to change the cold weather air in your tires to warm weather air.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I'm pretty sure an Angel dies every time someone digs up this 20 year old thread.
Man, time flies. Who would've thought this thread is really almost 20 years old? And the best part? Blinker fluid hasn't changed much, though I heard muffler bearings have improved with technology advancements.