BANNED SUBJECT LIST: DSE, biofuelBasics, H2, non-taxed fuel, etc

Should Global Warming/Climate be a banned subject here?

• Yes, please!

Votes: 31 53.4%
  • No, eyes wide open!

Votes: 27 46.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2015 Golf SEL 6m Sold: 2012 Golf 2dr DSG
A suggestion, if I might?

All banned topics should be in a clear, concise, bulleted list at the top of the first page in the first post.

It's not very friendly to folks to have to read through 7 pages of a thread just to know what the ground rules are.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
*****ing about the banlist is now banned.

:D

J/K!

I'll try and clean it up in a few days...busy at work now.

TrueNorthist

TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (Sold) 1992 Passat G60 Syncro wagon (current TDI conversion project) 1990 Jetta GL IDI TD
I'm a new member here and I have to say you guys are doing a fine job keeping this place running well. I have been pulling wrenches for 35 years and in my shop there is no talking about anything that isn't making us money, even during breaks. Some things are best "taken outside".

Cheers from the Great White North!

rwolff

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
You know, if you really think deeply about all these "wonder fuel savers"

If they were really so great, the would be installed on new vehicles at the factory, and even mandatory by law. Geez, I hope my friend did not fall for this yet.
Preach on, brother! Saw one such device advertised at a major truck stop chain when it first came out. I did a quick calculation based on some of the "bullet point" claims - if the were all true, it would be a "bolt-on" improvement of a full mile per gallon (check my vehicle list as to why this is VERY significant). Same device is now (about 6 years later) being thrown in free with an oil change at that same chain.

The trucking industry lives and dies by a fraction of a mile per gallon. If I invented a device that produced a "bolt-on" 1 MPG improvement, I wouldn't be manufacturing them and trying to sell them through truck stops - I'd segment the market, and auction off exclusive rights in each market segment (e.g. "North America on-road"). If one of the major truck manufacturers could offer a clear 1 MPG advantage over their competitors, they could boost the price of their trucks by $50,000 per unit, and it would be money well spent, so even that one segment of the market would be worth a fortune. Instead of needing to keep building and marketing the devices, I'd be sitting on the beach with a cold beer in one hand and a hot blonde in the other.

With respect to hydrogen, they fail to understand there is already far more hydrogen contained in the hydrocarbon primary fuels powering their contraptions. Well, save Stan Meyer's mythical dune buggy, stolen by "sharks" after Stan was "poisoned" by Arab oil Sheiks, the military, Big Oil...
I'd put the military in a different category - they'd slap a "top secret" label on it to keep OTHERS from finding out, but they'd actually USE it. Can you imagine how much it would ease logistics problems if they could significantly improve the fuel economy of the M1A1 tank, the Bradley IFV, the Humvee, etc?

I occasionally have access to jet A fuel, does anyone have a formula to add a lubricant to the fuel so it can be safely used in the turbo jetta?
Do you have an oil furnace at home? No need to add a lubricant, and since a furnace doesn't operate on public highways it would be a LEGAL use for fuel that hasn't had road taxes paid. Bear in mind that there are 2 "families" of jet fuel - the kerosene-based (includes Jet A), and the naptha-based (includes Jet B). In a turbine engine (and probably in an oil-burning furnace) they'll both work. I wouldn't want to get Jet B anywhere NEAR a diesel engine. Also, does your source of "sump fuel" work on piston aircraft as well? If so, you could have contamination with 100LL avgas, and I'm sure you've seen threads about what happens when a TDI gets fed gasoline-contaminated fuel.

submarines can provide oxygen enough for a large crew and remember that there is twice as much hydrogen when split from water...subs expel all this back into the ocean
ratheon builds the electrolysis units for subs and knowing someone who works there i have been told they have fueled a hummer with one of the units providing the gas on demand....thats not stored or compressed...just a live reaction from water
But WHERE were they getting the electricity to power the unit they were using to fuel the hummer? AFAIK, except for a few specialized units (e.g. rescue vehicles, SEAL tow vehicles, etc), all subs in current U.S. Navy inventory get their primary power from a nuclear reactor (some may have a diesel on board as an emergency backup to get to port in the event of a reactor failure, but they'd have to run on the surface to use it). You can be damn sure that the hydrogen from the electrolysis unit is NOT being used to re-assemble the fission products back into U235.

rwehuman

on banned subject probation
TDI
2012 TDI jetta
electric

they are getting electric from the alternator. its running anyway. I think very few vehicles are sucking up all he juice their alternators put out,unless they have some ghetto blasters going.

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
The more you load the alternator, the harder the engine has to work and you burn more diesel. No free electricity.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
they are getting electric from the alternator. its running anyway. I think very few vehicles are sucking up all he juice their alternators put out,unless they have some ghetto blasters going.

Back again, I see. Tread lightly.

rwolff

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
But WHERE were they getting the electricity to power the unit they were using to fuel the hummer?
IIRC, diesel engines are only 40% efficient. Assuming that the alternator is 100% efficient, your energy budget goes as follows:

For each 100 joules worth of hydrogen, the engine produces 40 joules worth of mechanical energy (dumps the other 60 joules as heat). The alternator turns that into 40 joules worth of hydrogen to fuel the engine. Unless you supply energy from SOMEWHERE (most likely the battery), it ain't gonna run for long. You'd get better results by just running the vehicle using the starter. Law of conservation of energy rears its ugly head.

Those electrolysis units work great for their designed purpose (providing oxygen for a submarine crew without the need to surface and become detectable, in an environment where there's plenty of electricity coming out of the reactor to handle "hotel loads"). Without the "plenty of electricity available", you run into trouble. As Mr. Chips ('70s DIY show on CBC) would say, you're using an "American screwdriver" (i.e. using a hammer to drive screws).

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
And the alternator isn't 100% efficient, so you are losing some more efficiency there. Better to just burn diesel to move the car.

Now if you could recover some energy with regenerative braking, store it in a capacitor, and use that to run the generator...

VeeDubTDI

TDI
And the alternator isn't 100% efficient, so you are losing some more efficiency there. Better to just burn diesel to move the car.

Now if you could recover some energy with regenerative braking, store it in a capacitor, and use that to run the generator...
... or drive the wheels directly, which would be way more efficient once you factor in all of the losses going from mechanical to electrical to gas to combustion to propulsion.

But hey, when it's free energy, you can be as inefficient as you want, right? ;)

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
C.P. Snow, the British scientist and author has offered up an easy and funny way to remember the Three Laws. He says they can be translated as:
1) you cannot win (you can’t get something for nothing because matter and energy are conserved).
2) You cannot break even (you cannot return to the same energy state because entropy always increases)
3) You cannot get out of the game (because absolute zero is not attainable).

http://www.physicsplanet.com/articles/three-laws-of-thermodynamics

I'll reword a corollary to 1) above: You cannot get back out more than the sum of what's latent in what's already there and what you add in.

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
Good point TDIMeister
As some of you know there I have spent many years on the Duel Fuel system CNG development .You can not just get those wild ass numbers with out taking control of delivery of the added fuel source.
And to get those kind of wild ass claim you need to take control of the IQ at the same time.
I do not see that in there system.
My lattes CNG system is getting a 70% CNG 30% split on a 2007 Ford Power Stroke 6L
[/IMG]
Sorry for the side ways the green line is a stock engine
the red is CNG/diesel before dyno tuning
the blue is after testing is at a 70% CNG 30% split
[/IMG]

Bob Mann

oderusurungus

TDI
2001 Golf TDI 2-Door
Good point TDIMeister
As some of you know there I have spent many years on the Duel Fuel system CNG development .You can not just get those wild ass numbers with out taking control of delivery of the added fuel source.
And to get those kind of wild ass claim you need to take control of the IQ at the same time.
I do not see that in there system.
My lattes CNG system is getting a 70% CNG 30% split on a 2007 Ford Power Stroke 6L
[/IMG]
Sorry for the side ways the green line is a stock engine
the red is CNG/diesel before dyno tuning
the blue is after testing is at a 70% CNG 30% split
[/IMG]

Bob Mann
This system looks well designed. Have you considered selling one for an ALH?
YOU ARE THE MAN:)

CNGVW

TDI
Thank you for the kind words.

I am installing this system on my 2002 Jetta ALH loaner car now.
I am doing step by step with pictures and some video kind of a how to.
I have the Dyno in the next town so it will have dyno tuning to boot.

I will assemble a basic kit with all the hard parts and links to every thing a skilled installer would need and known good tested run files.

Then move on to the 2009+ common rail install and do the same.
And sell for the Ford Power Stroke 6L too

I will sell though my site and support by email only for the VW and Ford system.
any TDI Forum members will get a first come discount.

Bob Mann

VeeDubTDI

TDI
You guys can take this discussion over to a new thread in the vendor forum unless you're advocating for CNG kits to be added to the banned subject list (which is what this thread is about).

That is all.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Yes, I was about to do a thread cleanup. This thread is about topics that are banned here. You can take that content over to vendor forum or take the technical bits to my water injection thread if you like (no promo content, however).

CNGVW

TDI
Sorry about that when done I will start a new post on it. Just the how to and true testing.

It is not water, it is a real fuel so I think it should be in alternative fuels witch it is.
Bob Mann

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Sorry about that when done I will start a new post on it. Just the how to and true testing.

It is not water, it is a real fuel so I think it should be in alternative fuels witch it is.
Bob Mann
No. Because you are a vendor, you need to post about your products and adventures in the vendor forum. If someone else wants to talk about CNG, they may do so in the alternative fuels forum, but not in this thread. You may participate in that discussion, but you may not sell your wares or otherwise advertise your business.

This is all very clearly outlined in the vendor rules.

CNGVW

TDI
Ok
I will start over in vendor forum as you said. I add the CNG stuff here to show that HH2 and products like that do not have the control that is need to work.

For the record I have never sold a system to any member here.

Bob Mann