recommended aftermarket upgrades?

sleze

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon, 2005, Shadow Blue - DECEASED
Does anyone have a list of upgrades (parts, chips, vag-com) that are recommended as a consensus from the Passat TDI community?

From what I have read, I see that the best bang for your buck performance upgrade is the chip + nozzles. Which are the best? Which are the best balance of performance/cost?What about brakes?
What about filters?

Would one of the knowledgable old heads post a bunch of parts in a poll for each category and let the other knowledgable readers vote with comments?

sleze

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon, 2005, Shadow Blue - DECEASED
I don't know. It depends on the type of increase. I see that chipping costs between $300 - $500 and nozzles cost up to $800.

I know I probably won't need the most expensive parts but I am interested in middle of the road upgrade. Bang for my buck.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
I think VAGCOM should be your 1st purchase. In fact, VWoA should provide an automatic subscription to anyone purchasing a new TDi in NAmerica - - it would save a LOT of headaches!

I like the ECu upgrade by Rocketchips. That upgrade could be expanded to include nozzles at a later date.

Don't know about brakes, guess I'd check over at clubb5.5 for ideas.

Don't waste your resources on "filters" and "CAI"...apply your $$ where you can get some measurable payback.

Don't forget the auto trans re-program mod!

Kayakkermit

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI, 2002, Silver
I see that chipping costs between $300 - $500 and nozzles cost up to $800.
Is this right??????? Nozzles for the A4 are only $160 for the set! What is so special about the B5 nozzles to be a 500% increase?

days-like-this

Veteran Member
TDI
future A3 TDI-er
Here's my list for you:

1.Rocketchip (a must, I only have Stage 1 and am thrilled) forget the nozzles
2. Neuspeed rear sway bar
3. 1BE springs and Koni adjustable shocks (man does this improve the suspension)
4. Phatbox (for music) or satellite radio (I love my Sirius Starbase)
5. vw 3 spoke leather steering wheel and leather tip shifter (if you have leather package disregard the steering wheel)

Check out www.passatworld.com/forums

bogstomper

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2004, Blue Graphite
Hey Kayak,
I believe that the nozzle price reflects the $500 that you have to deposit for the cores included, when you send in your old cores to Kerma then you receive the money back...check it out Kerma TDI
Good Luck...

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
Kayak,
Would it be the supersonic Rockwell bomber from about 20-25 years ago?
Take a look at his location and then ask him about the great conspiracy to stop the Arrow
It's just a shame that they destroyed them so fast that they could only save the front end for the museum