View Single Post
Old January 6th, 2019, 13:09   #59
KeyTDI
Veteran Member

Oh, looks like I screwed up slightly... I could have sworn Timing belt was 120k!

That works, as I have a 1k round trip to AZ this month, and we have rain forecast on and off til then!

I will do Oil, and filters, tho as well as trans service before I go.
As stated, I have the M1 TBT oil on hand, and being in CA, I would prefer that 40w rating for the summers here, as well as our regular runs to AZ.

One run to AZ, it was 125F, across the Mojave, and we were running 5 up, with about 1100lb in people, and full luggage for a wedding in Sedona, in our ML320 Bluetec, at 80+mph. It never missed a beat, ran tirelessly, with the AC blowing ice cold, and did 25 mpg average. I can only imagine what the engine compartment temps were!
That's when u need that safety margin with a good oil!

This is it.
It came to us from FL, and it too, came with work needed.

One of my favorite moments from that trip, was that 3 of my passengers flew in from the UK the night before, and were jetlagged and sleeping in the back. My sister, woke up and commented that she was a little cold, and could I adjust the temp up a little, as her legs were icy... I told her to feel the window, and she was shocked and a little disoriented by the fact it was so hot. I popped her window down a inch and the 125f air came in, and swirled around, causing her to catch her breath, and look at me wide eyed!

Last trip out there in the ML, we almost cracked 30mpg.
Can't wait to see what the VW will do!

On the subject of these cars prices...
I have been looking for a while...
Here in CA, a 2011 and up Sportwagon with TDI have been pretty consistently $7500 up, topping out around the $13k for newer cars with lower miles.
That would be for a Smogged, Tagged, Serviced car.

This one was not....
No Smog, or tags, back taxes outstanding, spotty service history, kinda dirty/scruffy, and will need the rear bumper repainting, and some maybe PDR work.
Also, they knew the service was due.
Took the risk, and we will be about half that, so i'm comfortable, but there is always a worry that something will pop up and bust the budget!
I actually would have preferred a stickshift car, as I believe I would have been able to flat tow it behind my Motorhome.

This is my Baby...

Last edited by KeyTDI; January 6th, 2019 at 13:18.
KeyTDI is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.04474 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 17.54 Kb. compressed to 15.93 Kb. by saving 1.61 Kb. (9.20%)]