2019 is the last year for Sportwagens and Alltracks

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Not sure it would work out that way. If EVs paid their share of carbon tax, even on 125 MPGe or whatever, but didn't get state rebates or federal tax credits, I think the playing field would be pretty level. If consumers had to pay full price for EVs without government subsidies, I think people would give ICEs a fair shake.

I doubt they would put it on EVs until way after they had driven ICE vehicles off the road. Besides the only EV sources that might be subject to a carbon tax would be coal, oil, and natural gas power plants; wind, solar, hydro-electric, tidal, etc. sources don't emit CO2.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
And you DON’T pay a fuel guzzler tax every year correct? Maybe you can explain to him why the tax doesn’t apply to your Grand Cherokee.
Let it go already - I know how the bloody tax works, and I said that in my initial reply to you several days back that you apparently didn't bother to read. My point was that sooner or later the enviro-berzerkers will probably try to come after the older cars eventually if we don't do something to rein them in a bit.

My other point is that taxing the guy who buys such a thing because he needs it doesn't do a blasted thing to fix the problem. The manufacturers offering diesel options in minivans, SUVs, and light-duty pickups without charging a 2nd mortgage for the privilege would be more productive.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My point was that sooner or later the enviro-berzerkers will probably try to come after the older cars eventually if we don't do something to rein them in a bit.

Amen, Brother. I'm in the choir here. Most likely the CPR will be the first to try it, now that it has become a defacto 1 party state. However, they'll probably wait until EVs become a majority in the CPR, for fear of alienating their eco-wackos!

But that is probably about 20 years down the road. My point is with the current low-mileage luxo-suvs and pickups that Detroit is so enamored with.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
My point is with the current low-mileage luxo-suvs and pickups that Detroit is so enamored with.

It is not Detroit that is enamored with big vehicles. Detroit would not be making them if we (Americans) were not buying them. Dealers are actually often having a hard time selling sedans.

Remember:

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are stupider than that.” – George Carlin

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. This thread has gone seriously off topic.;)

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It is not Detroit that is enamored with big vehicles. Detroit would not be making them if we (Americans) were not buying them. Dealers are actually often having a hard time selling sedans.

Remember:

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are stupider than that.” – George Carlin

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. This thread has gone seriously off topic.;)

It's a slow period. :D

George got it slightly wrong as you can't have absolutely 50% either below or above average, because there are 3 groups: below average, average, and above average. Even if only ONE person/thing is in the "average" group, then the other two groups would have 49.999...% in each one.

Last edited:

Doc

Veteran Member
As this is the last year for the SW, I'm thinking of trading my 2015 gas SW for the 2019. However, in order to get the 1.8 again it seems it only comes with the 4 motion. But this is a car getting 5 or 6 miles less per gallon.

The alternative is the 1.4, less horsepower, good mileage and comes w/o 4 motion in the S version.

Two questions: Anyone out there with the SW with the 1.4 care to tell me how well they perform?

And my dealer claims VW has stopped production on the SW. Is this true, as I earlier read that production will continue to December.