Project Golf MK2

deathtrap

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 1992 Golf GL = Future ALH candidate
Just wanted to share my MK2 Golf Project with you guys.
Didn't get to do a lot last year because I buying my first house and getting married kinda took life over.

https://youtu.be/GnGW3Y11wbE

Looking to get more done to it this year. We've got spring in a couple months and I plan on getting it ready for AutoX

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
I love that body style! Wish VW would have kept using that front clip till the ALH came along.

deathtrap

TDI
I love that body style! Wish VW would have kept using that front clip till the ALH came along.
I know! Arguably the best side profile ever made.

My uncle and I are working on a MK2 ALH swap which I'll have to make a thread for as soon as we get started ;)

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
That would be cool, i'll keep an eye out for your thread. I always thought that if I were to ever squash the glowbug I would either do a willy's jeep or mk2 swap. My brother has a mint chevy tracker so I like to joke that when both of our cars start running out of life we'll rebuild my motor and throw it in his 4x4 tracker. :)

Last edited:

deathtrap

TDI
That would be cool, i'll keep an eye out for your thread. I always thought that if I were to ever squash the glowbug I would either do a willy's jeep or mk2 swap. My brother has a mint chevy tracker so I like to joke that when both of our cars start running out of life we'll rebuild my motor and throw it in his 4x4 tracker. :)
That would be interesting. I like trackers :D
My uncle planned on doing an ALH into Jeep swap but kinda lost novelty.

I'm kind of glad it didn't work out though! Coz now we got ourselves a MK2 GTD project with an ALH in the works and maybe one in this (green) car when the 16V gives.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
Big Mk1 and MkII fan here. Recently gave my rust free '94 Jetta to a good friend, who will drive it for some time (he owns an air cooled VW resto shop). I have a '92 Country (Syncro) in the driveway that our eldest grandson is claiming, so it will hang around as well. We had two Jetta TDs to 620k and 650k, before the Mk IV and I count them as the last VW that had things "just right" in almost every way.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Didn't get to do a lot last year because I buying my first house and getting married kinda took life over...
This is the best reason there is for not getting a project done. Good on 'ya. It gets even better when kids start showing up.

Hope the rest of the project goes well.

Cheers!

PH

deathtrap

TDI
Nice mk2. TDI swap it.
OK so a thought today--would it kill me to drive my MK2 with a TDI with windows down and EGR delete? (worreid about NOx poisoning)

I love round-headlight models
:cool: I wish I could get my hands on the rare rallye front end though

Big Mk1 and MkII fan here. Recently gave my rust free '94 Jetta to a good friend, who will drive it for some time (he owns an air cooled VW resto shop). I have a '92 Country (Syncro) in the driveway that our eldest grandson is claiming, so it will hang around as well. We had two Jetta TDs to 620k and 650k, before the Mk IV and I count them as the last VW that had things "just right" in almost every way.

that sounds brilliant. handing down the 92 country to your grandson reminds me of my uncle giving me the MK2 and MK4s respectively. had it not been for him I would not have gotten into Volkswagens.

This is the best reason there is for not getting a project done. Good on 'ya. It gets even better when kids start showing up.
Hope the rest of the project goes well.
Cheers!
PH
well, way to jinx it. just found out I'm having a boy so I guess I have the rest of this year to enjoy driving. tear down and building will happen in the fall and entirety of next year.