Alternator Pulley Removal Tips

jdhunt0

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Due to the suggestions from this site I decided to replace my alternator pulley to try and fix the problem of my tensioner bouncing ant the occasional squeal at startup. I ordered the pulley and also got the toll from metalnerd.

My problem is coming from the removal part. The center bolt is in there TIGHT. It is right hand thread isn't it? Am I going to have to pull the alternator and use an impact wrench?

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Although it may appear to be left-hand thread, it isn't... the pulley unscrews from the alternator shaft normally - although it might be corroded in place... (the belt moves the pulley in the tightening direction which adds to the hold they have on each other...)

MetalNerd does not recommend the use of impact tools for this, but some people have found it necessary on occasion...

Yuri

migbro

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL
I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks.
I had the same problem when I did mine. Thought I was going to break something. So I took a cotton ball, soaked it in Kroil and stuffed it into the recess in the center of the pulley. After about an hour I put the wrench to the pulley again and it came off easily.

This thread
is helpful when thinking about which wrench to turn and in what direction.

jdhunt0

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
I had the same problem when I did mine. Thought I was going to break something. So I took a cotton ball, soaked it in Kroil and stuffed it into the recess in the center of the pulley. After about an hour I put the wrench to the pulley again and it came off easily.

This thread
is helpful when thinking about which wrench to turn and in what direction.
THANK YOU!!!

I was holding the pulley and turning the shaft.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
I was holding the pulley and turning the shaft.
That's why some people think it's left-hand thread when it isn't... You can hold the pulley and turn the shaft, but then you need to be aware of what direction you're turning...

Have fun... (?????)

Yuri

jdhunt0

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
I got the pulley changed this morning. No change to the tensioner bouncing up and down.

Maybe I have avoided a future problem, but right now I feel like that was $90 well wasted. What next? How much "bounce" is normal?

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
I checked my serp. belt tensioner while the engine was running/idle this morning. The tensioner was bouncing like it was shown in some video flying around here. Do I also have a failing alt. pulley? Should I start worrying or just wait untill it fails?

BTW, my alternator is Valeo (not Bosch) 140 amp. Any ideas if the pulleys are replaceable/available for these?

apples12

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk5 1.9tdi Match, BMW F10 520D
I had my alternator pulley replaced whilst my golf was in the garage and whilst the chaps had the belt off i had them replace the alternator belt, this managed to completely fix the bouncing tensioner after the chap adjusted it accordingly and now the car runs sweeeet!

replace the pulley, replace the belt with it, adjust tension accordingly and take it from there

if the noise is still there, time to consider the condition of the alternator...

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Today I've replaced the belt, pulley and serviced the alternator (rings, brushes). After all this was done and new belt installed the tensioner is still bouncing slightly.

Oh, and don't buy that overpriced POS Metalnerd tool! It's very high chance you'll need it only once. Pulley replacement without any other alternator service at a specialized shop is less than $10 so much cheaper plus no dirty hands. During that time you can smoke a cigarette or two.

easyfix

TDI
2002 jetta tdi
alternator replacement video

Complete alternator replacement is another way to go that can be faster and easier in the long run. That is what I typically do as a mechanic. Here is a video to help out too if you need it! ~shaun
https://youtu.be/-tTTL_VX018

thirty3

TDI
1.9tdi
If its still boucning up and down have you check the belt tensioner. The bearing might be shot

Jeffro420

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Hey there, I'm just exploring these various alternator pulley threads looking for tips on replacing the alternator pulley on my 2010 Jetta TDI MK5.

I found this video from Blau Parts that made it look super easy to replace the alternator pulley from under the hood, without having to jack up the car, remove the splash guard and coolant hose, etc, as I've seen on some other videos.

Anyone have any experience with this method? Can you speak to whether it's feasible or not? Also, I've got the 17 mm wrench, alternator pulley removal bit kit, and breaker bars. Any other tools I should keep handy?

Thanks!

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
Hey there, I'm just exploring these various alternator pulley threads looking for tips on replacing the alternator pulley on my 2010 Jetta TDI MK5.

I found this video from Blau Parts that made it look super easy to replace the alternator pulley from under the hood, without having to jack up the car, remove the splash guard and coolant hose, etc, as I've seen on some other videos.

Anyone have any experience with this method? Can you speak to whether it's feasible or not? Also, I've got the 17 mm wrench, alternator pulley removal bit kit, and breaker bars. Any other tools I should keep handy?

Thanks!
That video is pretty much what I remember of what I did, twice over the years, but I don't think I needed to move the fuel filter out of the way. I have a 2006 Jetta TDI.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Wear a set of gloves in case if you slip the wrench off while trying to bust it free. Other than trying to break the nut loose, the job is super easy.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
I haven't had to do it in awhile, but when I run into a stubborn pulley I use a punch in my air chisel and rap on the pulley while trying to break it free.

Jeffro420

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Well this is weird. I rented an alternator pulley removal kit, because I thought I didn't need the metalnerd part.

Welp, turns out that anything longer than about 2 inches, aka the part I rented, won't fit into the pulley because the frame is nearby. The pic below is as far as I can get the shaft tool in.

Damnit! I thought I was saving $30 by not buying the tool. Can someone confirm that the metalnerd tool definitely fits in here? Seems awful tight! Saw one video where the guy lifted the engine.....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oQef268NkY1tk5X8A

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
I normally buy from Metalnerd, but bought the CTA Tools 8088 from Amazon since I needed it in a hurry It worked with no issue. The one you linked should work.

Edit. I see you have a 2010. It should still work, the pulley is the same part number. You could always Call IDParts or Metalnerd and ask.

Last edited:

Jeffro420

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I normally buy from Metalnerd, but bought the CTA Tools 8088 from Amazon since I needed it in a hurry It worked with no issue. The one you linked should work.

Edit. I see you have a 2010. It should still work, the pulley is the same part number. You could always Call IDParts or Metalnerd and ask.

Update: I was successful in changing out the alternator pulley. However, due to the tight space under the hood, the longer part I purchased from Amazon did not work. There simply wasn't enough clearance to get the long center bit into the alternator - the frame is in the way.

So, I purchased the Metalnerd bit. It worked like a charm!

maintenance247

TDI
2010 Jetta Tdi
Simple job on my 2010 Jetta tdi
Take skid plate off
16 mm wrench to release tension on SERP. Belt
Lifted engine a tad with jack w/ a piece of particle board which gave clearance for the removal tool
10mm six point box end wrench on one end of tool which meets engine mount so all you have to do is loosen the spline part of the tool Inserted into pully, added some leverage with pliers.