Whats your guess- Resale value in 2020??

mafrif

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI 6MT
What's your guess? What will a 2013 passat TDI SE with 150,000 miles sell for in 2020? Assuming everything is in good working condition with no body damage or flat tires...etc...etc.. One owner with all maintenance done personally or by Guru.
My mind was wandering during one of my long drives. The resale on my 2003 Jetta has remained very favorable and it started me thinking long term... Thoughts???
Chad

Niner

duplicate account, banned
What ever the market will bear in 2020. Depends on what the avg mpg is of a vehicle by then, as well as the price of a barrel of oil.

Coffeemade

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat TDI SEL Prem
Mine wil be worth a million dollars :)

No one can even remotely give you a real answer, it would be 100% guesses because technology could change making this car and become more wanted or less wanted by then.

I love mine and i will never go back to gassers at least as my primary.

TDI-BZ

TDI
2012 TDI Passat 6MT
so residual on a 48 month lease is 46% Msrp of $27000.00 mean VW says the car will be worth $12420 with 48,000 miles. Figure an additional 5% drop every year after that, unless fuel skyrockets.

I would say that a 2012 TDI SE 6MT, with 100,000 miles on it in 2020 that has been serviced by VW will be worth $9600.00 retail and $7500.00 wholesale/trade in. As the miles go up the value goes down. VW servicing adds or (lack of) subtracts value.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
What will the $US be worth in 2020? It is possible (I hope not) that your car might be worth more $ in 2020 than you paid for it in 2012.:eek:

I am speaking of inflation, of course. Things in general look quite uncertain both now and for the foreseeable future.:(

Cross your favorite body parts(Fingers!) and keep both a positive outlook and a job.:):)

Bill

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Interesting exercise. In ten years, if fuel is $1.00/gal, car probably worth less than normal depreciation curve. Fuel at $10/gal, probably normal dep curve applies. Fuel at $50/gal, car worth nothing. If we have hyperinflation (eek!!), might be able to trade for a bushel of beans or a box of ammo!

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
More or less. In 2020, with a fair wind and following seas, I'll be 76 summers on this planet. Maybe I will have found a way to give up driving by then.

Niner

so residual on a 48 month lease is 46% Msrp of $27000.00 mean VW says the car will be worth $12420 with 48,000 miles. Figure an additional 5% drop every year after that, unless fuel skyrockets.

I would say that a 2012 TDI SE 6MT, with 100,000 miles on it in 2020 that has been serviced by VW will be worth $9600.00 retail and $7500.00 wholesale/trade in. As the miles go up the value goes down. VW servicing adds or (lack of) subtracts value.
VW servicing subtracts value from these... ask anyone that's seen butcher jobs by VW technicians on work done on their car both in and out of warranty, by VW dealerships. The war stories are legendary. Ask folks that got timing belt jobs by VW, no rollers or tensioners or bolts replace that are one time use, only to have their motor and tranny fall out of the car on the freeway, or head and motor wrecked by bad rollers and incomplete timing belt and water pump jobs.

TDI-BZ

TDI
2012 TDI Passat 6MT
VW servicing subtracts value from these... ask anyone that's seen butcher jobs by VW technicians on work done on their car both in and out of warranty, by VW dealerships. The war stories are legendary. Ask folks that got timing belt jobs by VW, no rollers or tensioners or bolts replace that are one time use, only to have their motor and tranny fall out of the car on the freeway, or head and motor wrecked by bad rollers and incomplete timing belt and water pump jobs.

I don't disagree but trust me. Your car is worth less to the average person and to a dealership if not serviced from a VW store.

Niner

I don't disagree but trust me. Your car is worth less to the average person and to a dealership if not serviced from a VW store.

You wouldn't know it around here. :D As for car dealers and salesmen, well, look up least honorable jobs.

Last edited:

gotsoot

Veteran Member
TDI
`04 passat tdi
you know that a car salesmen would Scre__ _ over his own mother! If and I mean if you could find a dealer that was 50% honest,they would have to run people out at closing time.!!

mafrif

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI 6MT
I know there are waaaayyy to many variables to have a real good idea, but I thought it was a good mind exercise in economics. The first things that came to mind were mentioned by most of you; cost of fuel, inflation/value of the dollar/ buying power. No one mentioned reliability issues, other then Niners signature.

My guess is it will be worth $11-12,000 private party. Based on continued high fuel prices. Inflation remains steady at 2-3%, with that a new 2020 passat will cost around $30,000. Cost of ownership would be $18,000/ 150K= $.12 per mile.

AstroEng

TDI
2012 Passat TDI, 2005 Golf TDI (Sold)
30,000 Yuan, because our Chinese overlords will prefer the Chinese version Passat with LEDs.