Bad headgasket, need head work.

Camperbob

TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd
New owner of a 2002 TDI Jetta. Found a bad headgasket from a lifting head and pressurizing coolant system. I tried to contact Franko in MO but number disconnected. Who would you recommend for a trusted machine shop? I'm in NW Montana but shipping it out isn't a problem.
I've just started reading this forum, and I'm new to forums in general.
Thanks.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Yeah frank or his wife picks up the phone every time I call there.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Try again. However, I will say, I'm going to celebrate Mary putting up with my antics for 32 years... We will not be available unless you want to track us down in Kansas City trying to make a fun day of it!

Otherwise, you can call in the morning, before noon....417-232-4634

Camperbob

TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd
Frank,
I used a level and light to check the block for a low spot. . .light can be seen under the level at the spot where the gasket failed. I have photos but don't know how to add them on here, so I will send them to your email. Let me know what I need to do next , thanks.

Last edited:

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
First, make sure you use a good straightedge and check the block in several directions.
I've read that some guys have decked the block in the car but that seems iffy at best.
So, you probably are looking at pulling the engine - not a big deal in itself.
Your title says you need head work, too.
If that is the case I would at least entertain the idea of buying a used engine.
If you have the time and budget then get your own block and head redone.
For that I can think of no better place than Franko6's shop.

Greasemunkey

TDI
02 Jetta 5-speed, 02 Jetta Auto
I would stress flee's point about a "good" straightedge. It has to be a proper machinist's straightedge. If it was a carpenter's level you used you may be doing a lot of work unnecessarily.

BTW my profile says newbie but I used to be a certified master engine machinist. Just new to posting here.

Camperbob

TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd
I'll look for a machinists straight edge and bastard file.
also, what is a good price on a used engine? There are a few complete Tdi cars for sale in the Area, around $2000 seems average.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
dude, just take a normal strait edge ruller from a combo square for $10 and some 220 grit on a flat big glass mirror and hone it down flat, finish with 330 if you want but this complete with a $2 set of feeler gauges will give you all the help you need.

Camperbob

TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd
I have read about what you mention Mongler and I may try it on the block. I've also been talking to Franko on details.. thanks to all who replied.

Last edited: