water ingested in 2014,15, 16 3.0 TDIs ?

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I was reading in another site about water in air filters on these yr TREGs that caused massive engine damage. It seemed to be from ingestion from rain, not flooding. Any thoughts? I'm about to buy a 2016 TDI. THX

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
First I have heard of it and I have been in another forum for these cars for a very long time. I have seen nothing mentioned there at all on this topic.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yep, there is a drain hole at the low point of the air inlet tube to the air filter that can get clogged up and cause water to pool up in there, and if the engine gets a big enough slug of it....:eek:

The pipe in question has one of those little rubber grommet things similar to some cars' sunroof drains, or a miniature version of the B5 Passat cowl chamber drains. They get clogged up.

Just do a google image search for this part number: 7P6-129-609-A and you will see what I mean.

You can take the tube out and push that little rubber plug out altogether, OR you can just at every service make sure no debris is in there.

The tube itself is angled UP at the front, which is dumb. So water can find its way down under and around the headlamp, hood, etc. and if it finds the giant hole, it goes right in. They should have angled it DOWN.

Last edited:

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Surprising that the intake tube would be positioned so low in a vehicle of this type that is used by some to ford streams. Weird. You don't suppose the service guys do preventative clearing of this tube do you. I know the answer to that question. I will have to be proactive I guess. THX for your response Oilhammer

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Well it is up pretty high... I do not think you'd be driving through standing water up to the headlights. And the fact that there IS a drain of sorts at the low spot tells me they at least knew there was a possibility of water resting in there.

This is probably one of those deals where the conditions have to be "just right" for it to happen, but it can happen.

Pull your air cleaner box out and pull that inlet tube out and post a pic of what you find, as it may be a while before I get to see a T'reg in here.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I just traded my 2012 TDI for a 2016 "new".Treg,so It will take a few rains before anything might be going on. I'll keep you informed on what I find when I pull the filter. THX

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
A question to follow up on the water entering the air box. Is the only area that water can enter on the passenger side of the engine compartment? I saw the pictures showing that side with a flap of sorts to prevent water from running down hood and onto the intake pipe. Seems like a simple fix if that is all there is to it.

ESA31.8T

TDI
Jetta
I read that same thread and found this:

https://i.imgur.com/ULpvs9r.jpg

I cleaned out the drains in the air tube and the bottom of the air box and then removed the air tube drain all together. I also drilled about 8 1/2" holes along the front portion of the air tube. I then used a garden hose with high pressure and that seemed to stop 95% of the water from reaching the air box.

Last edited:

ESA31.8T

TDI
Jetta
Sorry for the big pics above. You can see about 1" deep water standing in the air tube, this was before I cleaned the drains. Our Touareg is a 2015 LUX TDI with the air tube cover. Sorry, no swiss cheese air pics.

MondoTech

TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
I pulled out my filter and found water damage as well. I think everyone with a T4 (2015-2017) is going to have this problem. If you're in the US and you find your filter has water damage, please take pics and submit a complaint to the NHTSA.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Maybe also mention that there's a recall in Germany and China for this issue, but not in the US.

This is a good video on how to get the airbox open: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE7YcdLqego

The only difference is the MAF harness removal, on the T4s the tab to release the harness connector is on the right side of the connector. Just take a screw driver and gentle push the tab away from the connector to release it.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I would still like to know if this issue is a function of car wash high pressure spray getting into the filter area. How many of these problems have happened to people who don't use car washes regularly??

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
After looking at the air box full of all sorts of crap, how does all that stuff get in there??? I mean that is serious grass, twigs etc. It is no wonder the air box can't drain properly. Yikes