North American Jetta TDIs made where?

Jason Smith

I imagine this one gets asked often, but I couldn't find it in the FAQs. Where are North American Jetta TDIs made? Is it Mexico? Are North American Golf TDIs made in Germany? Great site! Thank you.

GotDiesel?

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
The North American Jetta sedans are assembled in Mexico. The TDI engines come from Germany.

The Jetta wagons, all gassers so far, appear to all have been assembled in Germany.

godlike242

Veteran Member
look at the first letter/number of the VIN:

1 is USA
2 is canada(i believe
3 is Mexico
9 is Brazil
W is Germany

I have a Mexican built TDI, but i have seen a German Built Golf as well as the Brazilian ones

I forget where the Bug is made though.

Golfs are also made in South Africa, but i don't believe those are shipped to the US. Good thing too as they were(are?) suffering quality control problems.

link removed because it was more or less useless.

[ May 30, 2001: Message edited by: godlike242 ]

godlike242

Veteran Member
damnit..
that link i posted was the wrong one.. i found a better link, and thought i had removed that one..

thanks steve for the actual informative link

think diesel

Veteran Member
North American Golf are assembled in Brazil. The North American Jetta and all New Beetles are assembled in Mexico.

The TDI engine is made in Germany. The 5 speed transmission is made in Argentina.

Most of the interior appointments are made in Germany. Some electronic components are from Japan.

The general consensus is that a Beetle is a Golf is a Jetta. In other words where the car is assembled has no bearing on the quality of assembly. They are equal. Some people have suggested otherwise but no one has evidence to back up that claim.