RNS510 Firmware & Maps Info Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlamp89

TDI
2010 jetta TDI cup edition
I have a 2010 cup edition. And I can't hold the setup button to get the firmware version info. Anyone know what firmware I might have? I want to update that and the maps.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I have a 2010 cup edition. And I can't hold the setup button to get the firmware version info. Anyone know what firmware I might have? I want to update that and the maps.
On my 2011 Tiguan, that button trick didn't work either. However, the Video In Motion (VIM) patch enabled it. Other than that, I think a VCDS cable is your only option.

By the way, if that is the original head unit in your car, you won't be able to update the firmware with anything recent. It will accept the latest maps, but your highest level of firmware is well below 2000 (can't remember the specific version, something like 1140, but not positive).

mlamp89

TDI
On my 2011 Tiguan, that button trick didn't work either. However, the Video In Motion (VIM) patch enabled it. Other than that, I think a VCDS cable is your only option.

By the way, if that is the original head unit in your car, you won't be able to update the firmware with anything recent. It will accept the latest maps, but your highest level of firmware is well below 2000 (can't remember the specific version, something like 1140, but not positive).

Thanks for the reply. Not the information I was hoping for, but I appreciate it. I am going to do the VIM patch today.

mlamp89

TDI
I just did the VIM patch, "secret menu" didnt work. I havent tried the video yet.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I just did the VIM patch, "secret menu" didnt work. I havent tried the video yet.
How long did you hold the button? It might take 30 seconds or longer.

mlamp89

TDI
I still need to update my maps though. I've been driving across country and too many streets are not on my nav.

mlamp89

TDI
And the nav update site has been down... Anywhere else I can get updates? Free would be swell...

MPassaTDi

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium - Tungsten/Black
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the TDi family and one of the very first things that disappointed me in the RNS-510 was its slow boot and overall performance. This is what I have in my Passat SEL Premium:
- G version/series
- hardware H02
- firmware 3696
- map 7994
From what I've read so far in this thread, the 4366 firmware is the highest version I can go and hopefully will improve its response and performance.
I already have the VIM done and that is working perfectly, so would anyone please PM me the link for the firmware and maps update?
I certainly appreciate it very much in advance.

ChrispyjVW

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the TDi family and one of the very first things that disappointed me in the RNS-510 was its slow boot and overall performance. This is what I have in my Passat SEL Premium:
- G version/series
- hardware H02
- firmware 3696
- map 7994
From what I've read so far in this thread, the 4366 firmware is the highest version I can go and hopefully will improve its response and performance.
I already have the VIM done and that is working perfectly, so would anyone please PM me the link for the firmware and maps update?
I certainly appreciate it very much in advance.

I understand your frustration but a firmware update will not help your situation... The RNS 510 has sub-par hardware, slow processor, lack of RAM and cannot handle the flow/commands of the software and a acceptable pace.. I have a 2015 SEL Premium Revision N and had it replaced to Revision P due to freezes and lockups and although I haven't had any lockups as of yet, the system is still slow..

MPassaTDi

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium - Tungsten/Black
Thank you for the input. That sure is frustrating considering it's supposed to be a 'top of the line" HU. Even the Chinese mockup I had in my previous B6 was more responsive than this version of the RNS-510. I was hoping for the firmware to improve at least the initial boot process so the backup camera could be functional right away ... that has been my wife's main complaint and the fact that she has to unplug the iPod and plug it back in everytime she fires up the car after it sits parked for more than 30 minutes.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
I have an RNS 510 (ebay) I bought knowing that there was a problem with the Can Bus interconnection and it would not turn on with the key, but I did not care about that at the time. I bought it because the RCD 510 didn't have reverse camera capabilities (car had RNS 510 moved to wife's new JSW). Unfortunately the reverse camera will not work without the CanBus working.
Any suggestions as to how to get it to work? I have the disc to load the SW1040 firmware and would this possible rewrite a problem code with the thing or am I wasting my time?

ChrispyjVW

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL
Thank you for the input. That sure is frustrating considering it's supposed to be a 'top of the line" HU. Even the Chinese mockup I had in my previous B6 was more responsive than this version of the RNS-510. I was hoping for the firmware to improve at least the initial boot process so the backup camera could be functional right away ... that has been my wife's main complaint and the fact that she has to unplug the iPod and plug it back in everytime she fires up the car after it sits parked for more than 30 minutes.
There is nothing top of the line about the RNS 510.. all I can say is I miss the Honda Nav I previously owned.. so much faster and on point.

Al Fischer

TDI
2014 Passat SEL Premium
I put the latest software update and Map on in January. The RNS510 is still slow but has worked right ever since. When I told the service manager that I had installed the software. He asked WHY? I'think' he thinks they could /should do it.

And I really appreciate the help got from this forum.

mainlander

TDI
04 Golf 4dr GL 448,000 km 2012 Passat Highline 38,000 km
I would like to get the latest firm ware and navigation software for my 2012 Passat. How do I go about that?

kmrenken

TDI
2004 Jetta, 2015 Passat SEL Premium with DSG
Has anyone done the VIM hack on a 2015 Passat? When I try it the Nav doesn't want to apply the "update" because it sees it as a downgrade.

HW: H26
SW: 5378
Map: 8112

Last edited:

kmrenken

TDI
2004 Jetta, 2015 Passat SEL Premium with DSG
um....never mind. I attempted the hack a second time so that I could record the exact error message received. This time it installed. Works great.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
How else can they get the gullible to fork out about $400 a year to get what Garmin gives free for life?

- Tim

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
At least they've lowered the price. It used to be $200 per pop.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
This whole business of selling (even yearly) map updates at these prices is just nuts. At such time as I decide that the currently installed map version is unusable, we'll just dust off the old Garmin nuvi 370 (which we still take in rentals on vacation) and its lifetime map updates and use it.
Unlike some on this thread, I regard the RNS-510 as serviceable, but the line has to be drawn somewhere, and this is it.

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan. Both bought back by VW on 12/06/2016
I struggled with this strange map update 'offers' for a long time as well. I just had a Pioneer AVIC 8100NEX installed, prices dropped recently, map updates are free, and the head unit rocks, it's fast, with LOTS of features – could not be happier, highly recommended!

Thanks to Mr.Furious who gave me the idea to take this step.

Status
Not open for further replies.