Top speed - curious

gerry100

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta sedan MT
Most US-spec VAG products are speed limited to about 120 or 130 MPH. They go by what OEM tires usually. All of my speed limited Volkswagens have tagged their speed limiter on an open stretch of traffic-free highway, except my current Golf, which I've only gotten up to around 115.
+1

One of the reasons many of us like the feel of German cars is that they have to be designed to cruise comfortably and maneuver at 90-100 mph. Otherwise they wouldn't sell in the homeland.

laughingbasho

TDI
2011 Golf TDI, Golf TDI, 2013 6-MT - turned in for buyback Jetta TDI, 2012, DSG - sold - 1985 MB 300D, “Banana Boat”
On the way home from work the other night, a guy in a Volvo turbo coupe, came up in my rearview mirror very quickly. I knew he was driving way over the speed limit on a rural 2 lane Iowa road with some pretty decent hills. The guy was driving like a jerk, maybe he had a reason to be in such a hurry, anyhow I saw it as an opportunity to 'stand on it' for a short distance. ` snip-
Ebrobb, Yes! I love to do this, only situation where I drive fast. I call this the "stalking horse" method. ;)

I drive 90 miles out and back on the Pa Turnpike 3 times a week. Sometimes a BMW or a Porsche whizzes by, I tap on the (fuel) pedal, and hang a couple of hundred yards back. I enjoy the run until my stalking horse exits, or pulls over with flashing red lights behind him. Then I back down to my usual ~ 72. I find 90 is a sweet spot, turbo audible but not working hard, RPM ~ 2900, car feels solidly planted.

laughingbasho

TDI
2011 Golf TDI, Golf TDI, 2013 6-MT - turned in for buyback Jetta TDI, 2012, DSG - sold - 1985 MB 300D, “Banana Boat”
Wow, my signature is out of date, time flies at 3,000 miles a month! :)

s.c

TDI
2013 Jetta
Your cobalt did 155, BULLS H I T>>> no offense...:confused: I mean the corvette 2013 tops out at 175mph...
Evidently you didn't see where I said the car was no where close to being stock.

dasAuto12

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI 6mt
How long did it take you to get to 136mph, distance and time...
I'm gonna say on a stretch around +/-.75 miles long, and however long it took me to travel that distance... hahaha. I wasn't paying attention to time or distance, I was just seeing how far I could push it before having to puss out and slow down for the turn

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
167 on GPS in a MkIV R32 all motor. 192 on a RC51.

My B4 gets very nervous around 130mph it feels like it will top out at 140 but I just never had the chance to see it. Not much HP past 4200 in this thing even with a bunch of mods.

RDC98tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta 6MT Prem / (RIP) '98 Jetta 5MT [280k+mi]
Not really answering anyone's questions, but I have hit 115 no prob when I was stock, have not found a place to try it since I have stage 1.5 Malone tune.

In my B5.5 Passat 1.8T 5MT, I hit 135 and it still had some steam in it. That was nerve wracking and stupid once I changed the tires and saw how low the old ones were. But the car definitely accelerates better past 110 or so than my TDIs have.

It took FOREVER for my old 1Z TDI to get to 115 lol.

Dirtracr95

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Sedan DSG
167 on GPS in a MkIV R32 all motor. 192 on a RC51.

My B4 gets very nervous around 130mph it feels like it will top out at 140 but I just never had the chance to see it. Not much HP past 4200 in this thing even with a bunch of mods.
167 would be maxing out 6th gear I believe in an mkiv r32. ive been in my friends former r32 and he ran it to 160 but there wasnt much left.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
220 kph on a flat prarie newly paved country road...couldnt resist trying her out lol
Good Teststretch is Highway 623 just off Highway 21 on the way to Miquelon Lake. Once you are over the RR Crossing you see about 10 km ahead a small church. County Cop likes to sit and wait for a payday. Since I drove that Road for years daily, I got my Speed fix on that road.....;)

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
167 would be maxing out 6th gear I believe in an mkiv r32. ive been in my friends former r32 and he ran it to 160 but there wasnt much left.
Nope still had some left.... It revs to 7500 rpm and tach was around 6300 if I remember right. My JSW will do 150 ;)

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
What does the top speed change to with a Malone stage 2 tune, stock is limited to 122 I believe...MKV tdi

ZREXER

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI Highline
My 2013 TDI, maxes out at 201 kph (126 mph) according to my Garmin GPS. It is limited in some way, as it feels like it would pull a few more kph if it was not limited.

Debra Morgan

Veteran Member
TDI
Memories of a fantastic 2015 Jetta
I don't think I will take my Jetta above the 102 I have already hit (this was on I-64 with minimal traffic). A tune might change that though :D
An Auto-X or track day would be much beter methinks to do this. I do not like getting stupid on public roads. On track...that's naother matter!

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
An Auto-X or track day would be much beter methinks to do this. I do not like getting stupid on public roads. On track...that's naother matter!
You live in the midwest, you know there are plenty of sections of interstate where it's safe to drive faster than the posted speed limit.

D-cappz

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH, 6 speed, 4motion, fully loaded, leather heated interior, sunroof, steering wheel controls. Over 420,000km
After iv done some mods to the car I can bury the needle. The GPS said I was doing about 230km/h on flat. =D

Last edited:

worldadventurephoto

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6spd Sedan W/Premium
I believe that our cars are electronically limited to about 122 mph. I know a guy who set his cruise control at 115 for over 100 miles in rural Nevada (where there is absolutely nothing, except for perfectly straight and level roads and some sagebrush (tumbleweeds). Therefore, I know for sure that they can go at least 115 mph.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. He wouldn't tell me what kind of mileage he got at 115 mph.;)
Yes, I've gotten my '12 6MT up to about 115-118, hard to get much past 115 though. I've done this a couple times. In rural North Dakota and once on a desolate stretch of the I-15 near the CA/NV state line. I'd really like to know if the car is electronically limited. And it'd be interesting to note if the automatic has a different top end speed than the 6MT.

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
I also have a 2012 MT. I couldn't get over 120 at the track. At about 115ish the power would start cutting from high egt's and would never really recover enough to go faster.
This was not a gradual build up of speed though, more of a mad dash from 2nd gear. With more road and no banked turn I am sure 130 would be possible, assuming the Ecu didn't limit the speed.

CyBear Male

TDI
2013.5 Jetta
The speed limit here is 75mph so quite easy to exceed 100mph when passing(usually happens at least once a week for me). The highest I've actually taken it is around 112-113. It behaved pretty decent at that speed still too.

JettaBoy65

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen
Fastest I've gone in my 2012 JSW TDI was about 87-92mph. Keep in mind this is in Georgia where every road either twists and turns or is just a continous roller coaster of hills

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
who cares what the limit of the car is, i'd be more concerned what the limit of the tires are!