1975 bmw 2002

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Good to see Chris. I remember you selling off a car and got worried this project got tanked. I hope to see it in person some time! If you need some help or some beer. Let me know.

Jeremy

couttsdesign

Veteran Member
TDI
1975 BMW 2002-TDI
Good to see Chris. I remember you selling off a car and got worried this project got tanked. I hope to see it in person some time! If you need some help or some beer. Let me know.

Jeremy
Hi Jeremy,

I had to sell the Golf because I have too many cars. No worries though, I'm still plugging away, slowly but surely. When it comes time to tackle the wiring, I could sure use some help. I'm an idiot when it comes to automotive electronics...:eek:

You bring beer...I can cook some thai food....

couttsdesign

Veteran Member
TDI
1975 BMW 2002-TDI
Transmission mount

In order to fit the W58 trans I had to cut out the original 2002 transmission mounting tabs in the transmission tunnel. Here is how I made my transmission crossmember to mount the transmission...

Here is the transmission with crossmember mounted to the car...

I ended up just bolting the crossmember to the floor and through a small steel plate on the interior of the car. I may have to beef this up a bit in the future by fabricating a larger plate that also bolts to the transmission tunnel, or just a larger steel plate with more surface area covering the floor.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
crossmember looks great, I would consider making some larger plates for the inside and possibly perimeter welding them to the body for added strength. you sure didn't leave much space between the tailpiece/shifter and the trans tunnel did you? what happens if your engine/trans combo flexes a bit? you could be in for some nasty squeaks.

overall, you are doing an awesome job. love the attention to detail and the custom fabrication going on.

CFM

Veteran Member
TDI
1995 Saturn with a 1997 TDI drivetrain.
Great job on that crossmember and the motor mounts - can't wait to see the completed project!

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Top-notch workmanship! Thanks for the pix and please keep 'em coming!

CrustyOreo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door 6MT
Top notch work sir, really. Can't wait to see this finished. When the trans in my Bug dies I'm gonna do this.

mlemorie

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
Just out of curiousity, and to expand on Growler's concern, what happens with that solid rear trans mount when the driveline does flex? Are you not worried about those four bolts pulling out or damaging the trans? Or is there a soft mount up top that is just not visible in the picture? Still loving this conversion though, I hope to be able to set up a fab shop when I buy a house so I can do stuff like this at home!

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Just out of curiousity, and to expand on Growler's concern, what happens with that solid rear trans mount when the driveline does flex? Are you not worried about those four bolts pulling out or damaging the trans? Or is there a soft mount up top that is just not visible in the picture?

couttsdesign

Veteran Member
TDI
1975 BMW 2002-TDI
w58 trans mount

Just out of curiousity, and to expand on Growler's concern, what happens with that solid rear trans mount when the driveline does flex? Are you not worried about those four bolts pulling out or damaging the trans? Or is there a soft mount up top that is just not visible in the picture? Still loving this conversion though, I hope to be able to set up a fab shop when I buy a house so I can do stuff like this at home!
here's a better pic of the W58 transmission mount. You can't see it in the other photo I posted...

Yes, I am concerned about the durability of the mounting solution. I know some on the 2002 forum have used bolt in trans mounts for 5-speed conversions, however, they are bolted in a more vertical orientation in the trans tunnel. I think when I get the car running I can take it to work and weld in something in the trans tunnel for added support....and just so you know I can't fab anything at home...I don't even have a 220 power source in my garage. I'm a car designer at KIA motors in Irvine CA and we have a multi-million design center with just about everything one would need to fabricate something for a car...:D

couttsdesign

Veteran Member
TDI
1975 BMW 2002-TDI
shifter hole

crossmember looks great, I would consider making some larger plates for the inside and possibly perimeter welding them to the body for added strength. you sure didn't leave much space between the tailpiece/shifter and the trans tunnel did you? what happens if your engine/trans combo flexes a bit? you could be in for some nasty squeaks.
overall, you are doing an awesome job. love the attention to detail and the custom fabrication going on.
Growler, you are right about the clearance around shifter hole in the interior. There is only about 1/4 clearance in all directions...here's a pic, but it's difficult to see...

I don't think it will be difficult to trim more metal out to make more clearance. I'm going to pull the engine/trans out before final install at which time I can make that hole bigger. Consider this a test fit. Stock 2002's use a thick foam insert for noise and heat dissipation around the shifter and I'll probably find some durable closed cell foam and do the same.

couttsdesign

Veteran Member
TDI
1975 BMW 2002-TDI
Diesel choices

Very good stuff, but a 320d engine would be cool in there too :)
I was considering this option for about a minute....lack of vendor supply and tuner support scared me off. However, if anyone ever figure's out how to use a modern BMW diesel in an old car I would put one in my CS coupe....that would really piss some people off I imagine....

The other engine I strongly considered was the mercedes 190d motor. it's already longitudinal and has a mechanical injection pump. Ultimately, my experience (not much really) with VW's ALH and the possibility of big power AND big MPG's steered me toward this swap.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Growler, you are right about the clearance around shifter hole in the interior. There is only about 1/4 clearance in all directions...here's a pic, but it's difficult to see...
I don't think it will be difficult to trim more metal out to make more clearance. I'm going to pull the engine/trans out before final install at which time I can make that hole bigger. Consider this a test fit. Stock 2002's use a thick foam insert for noise and heat dissipation around the shifter and I'll probably find some durable closed cell foam and do the same.
Glad you took my note as well as you did, I certainly didn't mean to be super critical, I was just noting what I thought might be a concern in the future when the rubbers get broken in and she gets all squishy in there ;) .

I am very much enjoying this thread as I can easily see myself going down this road someday.

mlemorie

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
I did indeed miss the rubber mount. Im not terribly familiar with toyota stuff, so that is probably part of the reason why I didnt spot it at first. I know how it goes having to make stuff at work lol. Im a dyno tech for Isuzu, and any time I need to make some small tools, or parts for my RC stuff, I use the machine shop at work since I have nothing at home lol. Im house shopping, and Im hoping to find a place with a big enough garage, or a seperate pole barn so I can set up a workshop and do it at home. All the parts are still looking fantastic though!

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
I'm a car designer at KIA motors in Irvine CA and we have a multi-million design center with just about everything one would need to fabricate something for a car...:D
C'mon, that is just straight up cheating! :D

Just kidding! Nice work and good job taking advantage of your available resources! I wonder how many other designers are building their own car?

Sheppie62

TDI
Alh 81 pickup
Best use of 75 2002 I have seen

Really like this idea. Original engines in these weren't that exciting anyway, all torque anyway. Plus that square car needs torque to cruise. Please put older bumpers on it. Never liked the baby bumpers.

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
B5 Passat BHW - 6 speed manual
Wow... awesome project! Impressive photography of impressive work. :D

Last edited:

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6MT-VW bought back as a lemon
Such a nice car. I thought I was really something with 110 hp and 110 ft lbs of tq in my 76 2002. I can't imagine that thing with some real torque behind it. I considered an SR20 swap but the factory motor and trans never died so I left it in, had I thought about it long enough I'd be doing this swap as well.

Good luck to you sir!

FredS

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf GL 5spd, 00 NB 5spd, 94 Toyota-01ALH
Sweet conversion. Now have you finalized your serpentine belt arrangement without the power steering and A/C components? This to me is a car worth putting a TDI in. Classic lines, and it'll sound oh so nice.

Are you going to put the oil filter assembly very far from the block then? You mentioned the steering was in the way, wondered how close it was.

couttsdesign

Veteran Member
TDI
1975 BMW 2002-TDI
Are you going to put the oil filter assembly very far from the block then? You mentioned the steering was in the way, wondered how close it was.
the oil filter housing will be about 1 foot away from the stock location. There is absolutely no way the oil filter housing can stay in the stock location and not interfere with the steering box of the 02.

couttsdesign

Veteran Member
TDI
1975 BMW 2002-TDI
rear subframe/differential swap

It's been awhile since my last post, but I've been slowly and steadily working on the project. I've been busy with work and that has cut into my time alot. Anyway, one of the most important aspects to this project is getting the gearing right, which for me was to get it as close to the stock VW TDI driving experience. I used to drive my Golf pretty much between 2000-3000 rpm 90% of the time. Also, I like being able to do 80 on the freeway at around 2800 rpm's. I used some online gearing calculators and determined the stock 2002 diff (3.64 ratio) would not work...it simply would rev too high. In fact there is not a bolt in differential with a tall enough ratio that would work. My solution was to swap in a BMW medium case differential from an E30 bmw, which comes in a wide range of gear ratios, but i'm most interested in the 2.79 or 2.93 ratios. Another important part of the equation is to use a diff cover from an e36 because it has two mounting ears. The problem is the medium case diff requires total fabrication to get it mounted into a 2002. Here's how I did it....

I started by digitally scanning the 2002 rear subframe, 2002 differential, and e30 medium case differential with e36 diff cover. This allows me to manipulate the parts in the computer and create exact templates for the new "cage" that needed to be fabricated. in pics below, 2002 diff is blue and e30 diff is red.

Templates made and 1/4" steel about to be cut.

The "cage" tacked together for test fitting

All jigged and prepped for welding.

After test fitting the assembly on the car I was not happy with the location of the diff and cage. Basically, it was nestled right up against the underside of the 2002 trunk floor. There was no room for access to the bolts that hold the diff on top of the cage. So chop and drop the whole thing about 20mm.

Test fitting was all good...and here is the finished subframe.

This is only part of the solution....rear diff mount and half shafts still to come in the next posting....stay tuned friends.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Holy cow.... talk about going the extra mile. Very nice work sir. I am super jealous of your 3d scanner.. while you are at it. Pop off about 10 of those subframe adapters and motor mounts and trans cross members.. bet you could find buyers lol.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Simply masterful work. Thanks for sharing your progress with us.