Suitable cleaning solution for Clogged EGR System

Heston

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI, Black, Leather-Lux Pgk w/8 Spkr Monsoon Sound ;)
What brand or type of solutions can i (or should) use to assist with clean out all the GUNK I suspect is clogging my EGR Intake Manifold System?

I couldn't find anything specific in the FAQ, Forums, or published Procedure PDFs here.

Thx, Heston

Keli_OR

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 black Sportwagen SE, '01 silver Jetta GLS, '00 green Beetle
My understanding is that it's a remove and scrape out process.

I have yet to hear of any type of additive that can be used to clean it out.

K

Nutsnbolts

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
I have found that once the manifold and EGR are removed, use Castrol Supe Clean (purple stuff, purple bottle), let it soak, then hit it with a high pressure hose such as a self service car wash. Rinse and repeat. The results are astounding!

-Rich

wrenching40plus

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2000 (given to bro-in-law)
I thought about a couple of solvents, like printers' roller wash, acetone, etc... but your idea sounds definitely worth trying, because it poses no real risk to plastics in the EGR valve. Two questions: (1) did you clean out the ports into the head, and (2) how much time over-all did you spend on the job?? Obviously I've gotta face the same issues /images/graemlins/frown.gif Thanx!

Heston

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI, Black, Leather-Lux Pgk w/8 Spkr Monsoon Sound ;)
Thanks Rich.. Since I have access to a second vehicle, I will consider the Castrol Super Clean soak and rinse idea.... unless someone has a negative comment about this specific solution of course.

samiam

Veteran Member
TDI
A4,2001.5, red
I just used a gallon of paint thinner for $2. You can put a skim coat of RTV on a piece of cardboard, mount accross on end of the intake(head side or inlet), then fill that puppy up and let it sit. Drain, and powerwash- it will come perfectly clean.

Michael

eicke

Veteran Member
[ QUOTE ]
I have found that once the manifold and EGR are removed, use Castrol Supe Clean (purple stuff, purple bottle), let it soak, then hit it with a high pressure hose such as a self service car wash. Rinse and repeat. The results are astounding!

-Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto! .......takes a couple of times to get all it out. With a bottle brush and the hottest water that comes out of your tap, Super Clean does work! Wear latex gloves as the Castrol make your hands look like Grandma's!! /images/graemlins/eek.gif /images/graemlins/eek.gif

mgwerks

Veteran Member
TDI
black 1999 New Beetle
You can take them off and take them to a machine shop. A guy near here cleans and then bead-blasts them like new - $15.00. Such a deal.

Make SURE that they don't get sandblasted!