2004 Jetta tdi with egr delete problems

ddjones1127

TDI
2004 Jetta
I’m new to the whole TDI thing, but love the great fuel mileage I get with my Jetta. I have a 2004 Jetta TDI (BEW engine), I just added an EGR delete kit on it. I drove it today and got about a mile away from home and it started sputtering and then died. Before this, the car did not want to shift at normal RPM. It went way up to a little over 4000 before shifting, when it’s usually in the 3000 range. It’s freaking cold out too ( -13 Fahrenheit with windchill) so is it the extreme cold causing my car to not shift and die, or is it something to do with the EGR delete???? Any ideas anyone can give me would be great.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
I’m new to the whole TDI thing, but love the great fuel mileage I get with my Jetta. I have a 2004 Jetta TDI (BEW engine), I just added an EGR delete kit on it. I drove it today and got about a mile away from home and it started sputtering and then died. Before this, the car did not want to shift at normal RPM. It went way up to a little over 4000 before shifting, when it’s usually in the 3000 range. It’s freaking cold out too ( -13 Fahrenheit with windchill) so is it the extreme cold causing my car to not shift and die, or is it something to do with the EGR delete???? Any ideas anyone can give me would be great.
Auto trans? If so, does it shift fine after it's all warmed up? I think you might have 2 separate issues...

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
I can’t get it to warm up, so I don’t know if it shifts after that or not....yes, auto trans....
Well block off your grill with foam insulation for starters.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=160835

Then you need to take it out and work it, highway, on ramps run the rpms up, make an effort to get it warm. Deleting the egr will cause your engine to take longer to warm up. However, I believe your transmission issue is solenoids needing replacement and a fluid drain/refill is needed...

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
ddjones1127,

If I'm reading your post correctly, you say your having problems with the car shifting? And that it doesn't shift until 4000 rpm? This was happening before the EGR delete?

What exactly was your EGR delete kit? Did you replace the EGR valve with a race pipe? If so, what did you do about the vacuum lines? Or is the EGR delete kit just the block off plate for the turbo/exhaust manifold and the bottom of the EGR?

Cars don't care about windchill temperature. What was the temperature outside?

Eric

Last edited:

ddjones1127

TDI
2004 Jetta
The temperature outside is -5. The delete kit blocks off the EGR opening and then removes EGR is removed and the kit blocks off the opening and also removed the EGR cooler; those openings blocked off as well. I’m afraid that the car will die on me again, so I’m hesitant to take it out to get it up to temp....None of these problems happened before the EGR delete kit, but it also hasn’t been in single digit temperatures or below zero either...i’ll try blocking off the grill with foam insulation as JDSwan87 suggested to see if that will help it warm up some, but I just don’t want to get half way to work and have it die on me again (I have a 45 minute commute one way )

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
ddjones1127,

Sorry, I'm still having problems understanding what your EGR delete kit does. Your second sentence in your post above is hard to understand. Do you still have the EGR valve on the intake manifold? Or has the EGR valve been removed?

It sounds like you also removed the EGR cooler? And you've got all the coolant lines run correctly when you removed the EGR cooler?

With temperatures below 0 F, my wife's Jetta wagon (BEW) starts hard, even cycling the key so the glow plug circuit runs through a couple cycles. It could be that you've got some fuel gelling issues.

If the car starts, what about letting it idle for ten minutes to see if it quits? If it doesn't stall/quit, drive it around the block a couple times?

Eric

Thunder Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
Is the engine light on? Is the car in limp mode? My auto revved like that before shifting when it was in limp mode.... how’s your power? Block off the grill for sure....is there something you have to do with VCDS with this mod?
When’s the last time you’ve changed he oils in your tranny? Could be due for a service too. Do a search on changing the oil in the ‘differential’ (I assume this is an O1m tranny) there is some wiring and a sensor or two that can give grief with that transmission as well.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
Is the engine light on? Is the car in limp mode? My auto revved like that before shifting when it was in limp mode.... how’s your power? Block off the grill for sure....is there something you have to do with VCDS with this mod?
When’s the last time you’ve changed he oils in your tranny? Could be due for a service too. Do a search on changing the oil in the ‘differential’ (I assume this is an O1m tranny)there is some wiring and a sensor or two that can give grief with that transmission as well.
04-05 auto is 09A, not 01M... 09A has solenoid failure problems along with the (non-lifetime) "lifetime" fluid fill...