Engine Technology International magazine September 2016 - lots of Diesel coverage

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Interesting article, but I couldn't read all of it because the thought of diesel banning politicians makes me want to wretch uncontrollably.

Diesel isn't going away. It will still be used for industrial purposes. They just don't want ordinary consumers using the best fuel. Someone is going to burn it all up. They just don't want it to be you or I using it for our own personal needs.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
There's still a very strong argument in favor of Diesel engines using BIODIESEL. Biodiesel use is still growing. But electric seems to be where it's going in private cars. Just wait until your car/truck/automated taxi juices up while moving down the road, inductively (no plugging in). I give it ten years.

I can wait this out. I have a barely broken in (115k miles), pre-scandal '05 TDI. :D:D:D

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
Interesting article, but I couldn't read all of it because the thought of diesel banning politicians makes me want to wretch uncontrollably.

Diesel isn't going away. It will still be used for industrial purposes. They just don't want ordinary consumers using the best fuel. Someone is going to burn it all up. They just don't want it to be you or I using it for our own personal needs.
Almost half the homes in the USA now burn Ultralow sulfur diesel. The fuel is abundant. I would not be surprised if GM takes over the market left by VW.

Indeed GM is filling the void: http://www.wsj.com/articles/gm-to-add-more-diesel-powered-cars-1474709401

Last edited:

murphyslaw

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 TDI JSW/Sunroof/Nav/Man
I just want a Diesel-Electric hybrid. A small diesel turbine paired with an alternator would be a great match.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I just want a Diesel-Electric hybrid. A small diesel turbine paired with an alternator would be a great match.
The efficiency of that powertrain design at an automotive power level will be atrocious. Turbines don't scale down to low power levels well. They work great when you are generating megawatts at a constant rate and you have space for big heat exchangers with multiple stages of intercooling and exhaust heat recuperation.

VWannabe

Veteran Member
Almost half the homes in the USA now burn Ultralow sulfur diesel. The fuel is abundant. I would not be surprised if GM takes over the market left by VW.

Indeed GM is filling the void: http://www.wsj.com/articles/gm-to-add-more-diesel-powered-cars-1474709401
This is really quite ironic considering that GM almost destroyed the diesel market back in the '80's and Lutz was so against diesels. The new Chevy Cruze diesel is quite impressive. They are also marketing a smallish pickup truck with a 4 cylinder diesel and are now planning an SUV with diesel power, just what we were clamoring for VW to do. GM is the LAST company I would have expected to do this.

waspie

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 pkg2!
are they really the *last* company? if you follow the tin hatters and think the vw thing was a government crack down who better to gain from it than government motors?

makes you wonder every now and then, doesn't it?