Buy Back Spreadsheet - Track our buyback status

speedrye

Veteran Member
TDI
13 JSW DSG, 14 JSW DSG
Don't forget that a lot of these cars are parked and VW will end up paying more for them by delaying. Both of mine might bump into the next mileage bracket if I wait until January, so that would cost VW an extra $600. I'll have to go back and recalculate my mileages to see how close I'll be though.

mhoffman47

TDI
Audi A3
Financially it makes sense for them to save the VW Credit cars until last since they are still collecting interest on us!!! Pisses me off. :mad:
I spoke with one of the class action attorneys last night and mentioned this to him, he was very bothered that there might be some picking and choosing like this. He was going to bring it up to the firm, he works directly for the lead counsel out of San Fran. Most of the issues brought up on this site are known to them, they actually know about the forum and the spreadsheet!

mstnggt

TDI
2012 VW Passat
True, but my rate is 2.44% so i pay about $30 a month in interest. If they have 50,000 cars financed it comes to $1.5 million a month. That's pretty significant.

jtitocci

TDI
2013 Jetta TDi
True, but my rate is 2.44% so i pay about $30 a month in interest. If they have 50,000 cars financed it comes to $1.5 million a month. That's pretty significant.
To us... 1.5million, is a lot.

To VW.... who's group is worth 7.5 billion last I checked, thats 1/5000th of their net worth.

In other words, if you made $5000 a month, that would be equivalent to someone giving you $1. Is $1 going to make you do something different?

Just my .02 cents.

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
To VW.... who's group is worth 7.5 billion last I checked, thats 1/5000th of their net worth.
$7.5B??? I hope not or the current settlement would break them. Let's try $75B. Oh the power of a decimal place. So it's 1/50000!!

Last edited:

jtitocci

TDI
2013 Jetta TDi
$7.5B??? I hope not or the current settlement would break them. Let's try $75B. Oh the power of a decimal place. So it's 1/50000!!
wow, yeah... i should probably not be on the forums at work, cause clearly I can't multitask a decimal point, but even better.... $.10 cents on my comparison, instead of a dollar.

mstnggt

TDI
2012 VW Passat
I understand your logic but they don't profit $75 billion a year. They actually lost money last year so I would think they may be slightly concerned about $1.5 million dollars a month. But I'm not here to argue about things, I'm more worried about them buying my car back already! ;)

usarmy132

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
To us... 1.5million, is a lot.
I am sure Company that did not want to spend an additional $ 300 at the beginning while building the cars, and ended up building cars with cheating devices because it's cheaper counts every penny they can get for their executives pay

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)
We just hit a bit of a milestone - the 100th person reported that they got their offer letter (out of about 516 that have entered data on the spreadsheet). We all wish it was more than this, of course.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
We just hit a bit of a milestone - the 100th person reported that they got their offer letter (out of about 516 that have entered data on the spreadsheet). We all wish it was more than this, of course.
Thanks for your hard work on this spreadsheet. It is a great resource for the community.

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for your hard work on this spreadsheet. It is a great resource for the community.
All I do is publicize it and look at it from time to time. UncrunchyTaco is the person who set up the framework and does whatever maintenance is required.

I don't know how much work it is to maintain - there was one time I was online early in the morning and I saw the tabs being rearranged and a new backup of the input being created. It is kind of odd to watch other people enter data. Almost like your computer is possessed or some such.

Once a week he apparently needs to go in and add line entries for each new week.

And I am guessing that at some point a new stats page will get created that will show the stats for cars that are bought back.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
All I do is publicize it and look at it from time to time. UncrunchyTaco is the person who set up the framework and does whatever maintenance is required.

I don't know how much work it is to maintain - there was one time I was online early in the morning and I saw the tabs being rearranged and a new backup of the input being created. It is kind of odd to watch other people enter data. Almost like your computer is possessed or some such.

Once a week he apparently needs to go in and add line entries for each new week.

And I am guessing that at some point a new stats page will get created that will show the stats for cars that are bought back.
Still. Thanks.

heehaw

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
Buyback appt choices are extremely limited

It gave me only 4 date options for buyback in Little Rock. Every Wednesday in Dec at either 10:30AM or 11:30am. I don't like the way they are treating us!

DouginNC

TDI
2013 Beetle Convertible
All of our documents have been approved and scheduled a buyback date on December 2, 2016! Yeah to be near the finish line. Although, we are going to miss our Beetle.

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Wow! I got a response in two days. And it was on a Saturday. Completed the final step and scheduled buyback for Dec. 7th. Earliest I could have picked was Dec. 2nd.

Looks like the dealership I'm going to only has appointments on Wednesdays and Fridays. About 6 appointments per day.

Good luck everyone. Hope the final stages of this goes smoothly for all of us.

PS.
Great timing on the last email from VW. I just bought a new car about 3 hours ago! 2017 Honda Accord Sport SE. Same color as my Jetta. Looks great in the driveway!
:D

Dr. D

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
Just received my appointment email. I'm in NJ.
Scheduled for Dec 1st, seems to be the earliest date i could find. Most dealers had either one or two dates per week-time slots available.

Last edited:

Dub J

TDI
Jetta MK VI TDI Manual 6
Good

Just received my appointment email. I'm in NJ.
Scheduled for Dec 1st, seems to be the earliest date i could find. Most dealers had either one or two dates per week-time slots available.
Congratulations. When did you first send your docs in? Thanks.

scottb8888

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI
I have a great app on my iPhone called TurboScan. I can scan each page and send it to myself as a single pdf.

I use it for many things. When I get a receipt I need to keep, I scan it and throw it away. It's in my email ready to be filed!

JMugmon

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Interesting how of the total 63 cars found eligible, 57 of them are Paid Off (non-financed) = 90%. Must be easier to deal with non-financed cars! unfair.
UPDATE (after one week): Now at 94% and NO further VW Financed cars have been approved in a week!
So they have doubled the number of cars at Elig verified but none (zero) are in the category 'VW Financed'.
Over the past week 100% of the cars approved have been in the category 'Paid Off'. - So mad!

Last edited:

blondeshady2001

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 BGM DSG TDI 4DR
This graph is only as accurate as the people that fill it out. Some users could have gotten their approvals, yet, not updated their row of data. Progress is being made, slowly but it IS happening.

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
This graph is only as accurate as the people that fill it out. Some users could have gotten their approvals, yet, not updated their row of data. Progress is being made, slowly but it IS happening.
That is indeed true. There do seem to be a couple of patterns however:

First, people with any form of financing don't seem to be getting letters. A small handful have, but the rest are still waiting. There is no real explanation as to why this is the case.

For people with no financing, and who have had their docs approved, we now have over half reporting that they have gotten their offer email.

There are people who had their docs originally approved right out of the gate, and they are still waiting for their offer letters. Possibly due to a shortage of Ambassadors? No idea - VW isn't saying.

And then there is the question of people who bought after 9/18/2015. There aren't many, but they aren't getting anywhere either.

Dr. D

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
That is indeed true. There do seem to be a couple of patterns however:

First, people with any form of financing don't seem to be getting letters. A small handful have, but the rest are still waiting. There is no real explanation as to why this is the case.

For people with no financing, and who have had their docs approved, we now have over half reporting that they have gotten their offer email.

There are people who had their docs originally approved right out of the gate, and they are still waiting for their offer letters. Possibly due to a shortage of Ambassadors? No idea - VW isn't saying.

And then there is the question of people who bought after 9/18/2015. There aren't many, but they aren't getting anywhere either.
I believe that there is a shortage of ambassadors as some of the dealers I wanted to scheduled with (NJ) were not even in the scheduling system.

TDIsoup

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
I'm glad someone else pointed out that financed VWs haven't gotten offers yet. VW being radio silent on this is horsecrap. I was considering another VW, but this lack of communication is slowly eroding that away. I understand that this is a huge undertaking, but it's still possible to let people know what's going on.

Oh and Uploaded 9/20, approved 10/20, still waiting.

beancounter

TDI
2014 Sportwagen 2013 Beetle Conv
Calling to get a payoff takes very little time. Car dealers do it all day everyday. I thought that the sooner you get everything in, the higher you are on the priority. But it would appear that because I have financing I have been put in limbo.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
Calling to get a payoff takes very little time. Car dealers do it all day everyday. I thought that the sooner you get everything in, the higher you are on the priority. But it would appear that because I have financing I have been put in limbo.
You are right. I do it everyday. Takes 10 minutes. I have to verify payoffs on cars I am buying and selling at CarMax and financed cars are easy. Leased cars are more difficult to verify but during business hours it still is no issue.

TDIsoup

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Hearing this really frustrates me. So there's no excuse, at least not known since VW is silent. I know I'm only one customer, but if I don't hear back by tomorrow, I'm finding another car to buy, and not a VW. I'm trying to stay with them, but the lack of communication is crap.

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
How far out do the payoff numbers go? Meaning this - if you request payoff for a car, and they come back with the numbers for the next two weeks, and the actual buyback doesn't get scheduled for 30 days (where in that period you might have made another payment), won't they have to go and redo this?

I have my own theory that I just pulled out of my you-know-where. They are waiting until they can get appointments scheduled something like 3-4 days per week at some of the larger dealers, and this will allow them to turn things around fairly quickly once the offer letters go out.

But it could be something else completely different. I had this vague recollection that there was another status meeting before the Judge coming up soon (maybe even this morning), and once the transcript is up we might have some more clarity.

TDIsoup

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Cool, can you add my info? I can't get the doc opened.

Uploaded 9/20, Accepted 10/20, still waiting. Oh and financed through VW.