Leaving the fest, anyone else see this??

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GOLF 2DR, ‘15 Passat SEL TDI
As I was leaving the fest Sunday (I left just as it started raining hard, the raffle was still wrapping up), I witnessed a pole transformer explode as I was waiting to turn onto KY4/ new circle road. The stop light blinked a couple times and rain and wind were starting to get very violent. All of a sudden there was a blinding blue flash and a shower of sparks just behind me. At first I thought lightning hit it. Just wondering if anyone else saw it or if I was the only one! Definitely not something I'll forget for a while!

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Didn't see it, but I work in the electric utility business, and electrical items can make some pretty dramatic displays. Even something as minor as a blowing transformer fuse is enough to kake you jump out of your shoes.

TDI Stevestr

Veteran Member
TDI
Former 2011 Golf 4 Dr TDI DSG; Looking at the '17 Chevy Colorado
Oh man wish I had seen it. They can also be pretty loud when they blow. All I had was some band playing at the bar next door blasting into my room until 11:00 last night.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I happened to also see it. I was surprised that the hotel didn't lose power, but the book store and seafood restaurant (and probably others) did for about 5 seconds before an alternate supply was connected.
Pretty impressive, I thought.
Oh yeah, the flash was impressive too.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
The "fault" was probably isolated by the transformer fuse(s) and/or may have been downstream from the hotel or simply on another feeder. Sometimes even a branch across the primaries can make a huge shower of sparks and blow fuses.

TDIDaveNH

Left Lane Coal Roller at Large
TDI
1997 Passat TDI x2 1984 Buick Century 4.3 diesel
I was lying in bed at the time, but recall a peculiar sounding thunder clap which touched down rather close to the hotel and was alarming, but chalked it up to Kentucky thunder just sounding different and went back to bed. :D

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I was looking out the window of the room and saw what looked like lighting out by that stoplight. I guess it was the xformer blowing up! :eek:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Yeah, I heard it from the room......thought it was Thunder! And, the utility trucks and repairmen were on-site working on it as we drove into town for Breakfast!

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Just a little tidbit about power lines: The fuses have a little explosive charge inside that does two things: Mechanically separate the fuse so a lineman observing from the road can see the "open load", and also: blow out any arc that that might start if a standard type fuse is used. So a fuse blowing can be really dramatic. BANG and lots of sparks!