A/C Help on a 2000 Jetta...

VWRobb

TDI
2006 Jetta Wagon
I have been reading some post re. A/C problems others are having...however I have yet to find a similar problem...

The problem I'm experiencing with my 2000 Jetta TDI is when I am idling...I'm not getting cold air blowing...The fan is blowing…however it is not cold (or even cool)…

Once the car starts moving the air cools down...and stays cold...as long as I'm driving...(ok for the highway...not good in stop and go traffic).

Can anyone help me diagnose the problem and avoid a high repair cost...

Cheers!

Last edited:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
I would check to see if your electric fans are working.

wakeboarder_shawn

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Highline
yes i have the same problem and my a/c fan is not working, that is what i have been assuming was the cause. I haven't really looked into fixing it yet though

VWRobb

TDI
2006 Jetta Wagon
I started up the car and turned on the A/C...Checked under the hood...and the fans did not come on...

After I drove home from work...I checked the fans before I turned off the engine (and A/C)...and the fans were on...

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
Running your a/c without having the fans operating correctly is asking for the compressor to blow itself up. The fans reduce the head pressure which otherwise would get up to over 400+ psi. There is probably a pressure relief valve somewhere that will eventually pop, then it's time for more costly repairs. Get the fans fixed.

Michael_Akamatsu

TDI
Jetta, 1999.5, green
Do not run the a/c unless the condensor/radiator fan is working. The system will over pressurize, and you will loose your refrigerant charge. It happened to me once in my Corrado of yesteryear. I was doing some work under the hood and forgot to plug the fan connector back in.

VWRobb

TDI
2006 Jetta Wagon
A/C help in Ontario

OK...I need to have the fan repaired or replaced...

I don't have the skills to fix this problem myself...so does anyone know a good and "reasonably priced" place to have this repair done in the GTA...Niagara Region...or the South Simcoe Region (I travel to these area of Ontario frequently).

Also...what fan or parts do I tell them I need repaired/replaced?

Last edited:

jhedrich

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 TDI GLS Green
self repair

Listen, if you can spell fan...then you can replace your auxilliary fan. Just order the aux fan from 1stvwparts.com and look how it is bolted to plastic shroud. It comes as a big unit, ready to go.

PS...this must be the programmed limit life of the 99.5 series A/C. Mine is rumbling like crazy...fan is fine, but the hotter it gets, the more it rumbles. Anybody know why?

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Auto Sedan
Which fans are supposed to come on when? The fan on the driver's side of my car doesn't ever seem to come on, though the passenger's side fan is always spinning away. This is when A/C on any time I look under the hood with the engine running.