Water leak in rear of 2002 Beetle, sunroof drains?

nuke

Veteran Member
My wife's 02 Beetle has developed a water leak in the back somewhere. It's damp in the trunk and under around the right rear seat.

I can also see where water has been dribbling down the rear windows on the inside.

Can't seem to find the source of the leak, but I suspect either the window seals, or the sunroof. I did check the rear drains on the sunroof, they seem to be open. The front drains though are holding water. I ran a length of wire down them, but hit the end with the wire and couldn't go any further. Didn't drain the water, so it would seem they are plugged.

Any idea where the front sunroof drains open up to? They run down the A-pillar, but I don't know where they open up to drain.

19Tango

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI. A real 6spd for real men.
On the Golf the front ones drain near the door hinges. There is a small rubber flap that resembles the shape of a claranet reed that is flat on the bottom end and bulges where it meets the frame.

gunnerdd972

TDI
2000 NB GLS
I had the same problem on my beetle as well. I had to take off the overhead plastic parts. I found out that the hoses that connect the drain form the drip rails that are part of the sunroof assembly came off somehow. All I had to do was push them back on the male end of the drain. Haven't had a problem in two years.

nuke

Veteran Member
I used low pressure from an air compressor to blow the front drains clear. Now I can pour a whole cup of water in the drain at the sunroof and watch it puddle on the garage floor behind the front wheel wells. Never did find the bottom end of the drain, assume it is behind the well liners somewhere.

I also found that the other leak in the trunk is the third brake light. What a POS design that is. Three screws hold down a three plastic springs that clip into the back of the brake light lens and are supposed to pull it tight against the hatch lid.

Well, when those fine german (Argentine? Brazil? Mexican?) assmebly line workers put it together they broke all of the clips and gee, it worked loose after a couple of years and now we get water in the trunk well.

You know, I love the TDI engine, I just HATE the poor quality of the car it is in. VW's are crap cars.

My GM and Ford vehicles on the other hand, have their little quirks, but in the long run have been far less troublesome vehicles.