How do you drive your TDI?

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Sitting upright in the seat behind the steering wheel, with both hands on the steering wheel. :D

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
I thought intake plugging went away with LSD? As in, once ULSD replaced LSD, the issue was resolved greatly.

?

DrMarc

TDI
02 Golf TDi
So jealous! I could never break out of the low 40's no matter how I drove my 04 BEW. If I didn't have to tow jet skis, I'da gone with the ALH...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyVXoFvUBn0

An ALH can't tow jet ski's? I've gotten 40+ while towing them too... Pulled just one of them on that double trailer about 700 miles one weekend last summer, and it was like there was nothing there..

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
I'm pretty surprised to see how many people shift around or below 2000 rpms. Don't you get the sense that you're lugging the engine when you get into the next gear? While a diesel, the TDI isn't a HD truck engine.

My shifting is 3K to 3.5K typically with one or two blow outs a day. First time I really step on it I get some black smoke, second time only a haze as Ski describes. Accelerating more quickly up to speed and shifting at higher rpms has MINIMAL impact on mpg--see my lifetime mpg average. Cruising speed and anticipation/use of the brakes is probably 90% of the battle.

As the motor mounts have aged in my car, it's amazing how apparent extra vibrations from borderline lugging have become. I rarely ask for power below 1700 rpms.

Jettascuba

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta
How I drive my TDI depends on how I feel... sometimes nice to cruise along listening to the engine, sometimes slamming the throttle listening to the engine... and then you get that very curvy 20km long coastal road ;-)

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
As long as my shift into the next gear drops to the rpm's to 1600+ it feels fine. Below 1500 feels like its lugging it. I generally shift 2000-2300 depending on which gear I am, and traffic.

Jack Frost

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Clean Diesel
As long as my shift into the next gear drops to the rpm's to 1600+ it feels fine. Below 1500 feels like its lugging it. I generally shift 2000-2300 depending on which gear I am, and traffic.
That is pretty much what I do. If I need more power, I will shift at higher rpms (as high as 2300 rpm) but if in just need to coast, I will shift at 1500 rpm.

The engine will only lug if you get it below 1400 rpm and ask for torque. If you don't need any torque, you can gradually creep out of even lower rpms. If you hear the engine labour, either back off on the torque or drop to a lower gear.

My oil does not darken very fast and there is no soot in my tail pipe. So I have no reason to think that I need to blow any soot out of the car.

That is how I would drive a car that I stole. Agressive driving just attract the attention of the police. It is surprizing how many criminals get caught that way.

Busted

TDI
2012 4 Door Golf TDI w/Tech
When the car is cold: Shift between 2k and 2.5k
Warmed up (past 3rd line): Shift between 3k and 3.2k

If I am on a road with a steady speed or traffic, I will almost always up-shift to the next gear and let the torque pull me along for mileage.

Sometimes I drive it like I stole it, reveling in the turbo and torque.

Most times I accelerate with 1/4 to 1/2 throttle up to the 3k-3.2k RPM shift point, which is more than enough to leave most traffic behind and still give decent mileage.

I generally get between 39 and 42 mpg in what is 90%-100% city driving.

2002MK4

Veteran Member
TDI
2002, 2003 Jetta TDI
Looking for specifics on how to achieve best fuel mileage. I shift at around 2,500-3,000 RPM to avoid 'build-up', especially with city driving. Let me know your techniques.
Cheers,
Nick.
Well my mechanic made a point to say "Don't baby it" whenever he checks mine out. Says German cars are made to be driven a little aggressively.

???

I can see how this makes sense in [certain] areas.

2002MK4

Veteran Member
TDI
2002, 2003 Jetta TDI
Also agree with "nailing it" every now and again to remove build up. Although if you drive REALLY long high speed 120Km/Hr plus trips you'll have pretty much zero build up problems.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
I'm usually in a gear where, if needed, I can accelerate reasonably... just in case. That usually translates to 3rd or 4th in town. Cruising in town at sub 2k doesn't work for me. At low loads it's fine but any kind of hill or otherwise, you either have to push the turbo to surge levels or downshift to get moving. These aren't truck diesels where you dance in and around 1200-1500 rpms. Mine pretty much lives at 2000-2400 rpm, whether town or interstate.

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
After reading posts I might try going a bit higher into the RPM's. I just worry those extra rev's are going to drop fuel mileage.

OntarioVW_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 jetta highline
I can't help but wind it up to 3000-3500 almost every shift, the sounds and pull of the engines just too much fun not to :D carbon doesn't stand a chance in my motor lol

After reading posts I might try going a bit higher into the RPM's. I just worry those extra rev's are going to drop fuel mileage.
You would be surprised how little it changes it. I did an hour drive yesterday and if I tried I probably would have got 50 on the scan guage, but I was "playing around" with a guy in an expedition accelerating as fast as I could from every stop and going from 90kmph to 120 kmph on the highway and I still got around 43, sure I lost 7mpg but it was a heck of allot more fun! Just try shifting a 2500-3000 for a tank and I bet you won't see as much of a drop as you think. Gas engines seem to be notorious for bad milage when driven hard, you cold probably half the milage of a corolla from driving it hard.

Last edited:

Busted

TDI
2012 4 Door Golf TDI w/Tech
Gas engines seem to be notorious for bad mileage when driven hard, you could probably half the mileage of a corolla from driving it hard.
Its funny you mention the Corolla. I had a 2011 Corolla with a manual transmission. The car is rated for 28 city, and about 35 highway. On a highway trip with the cruise set to 75 I averaged 24mpg.

I drove that car like I do my Golf, 1/4 to 1/2 throttle acceleration and averaged 25 city. I did get the mileage up to 30 city, but I was driving it like a Prius, pretty much coasting to the speed limit.

New gas car EPA mileage estimates are a sham. You can get there, but your 0-60 times will take several minutes.

My Golf would get mid 40's if I drove it easier, but averaging 39 and enjoying the drive is much better!

Copedawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta SE TDI 13.6K RIP:04 Jetta TDI 285K
Like I stole it. :)
LOL! Me too!
w/o reading the thread any further,.....If you (not really YOU so to speak) are in the fast lane lane driving the suggested speed limit with the phone on your ear and that "I just got laid" gaze/look......hang up the F F F F Fone, get over to the right and/or get the hell outta my way!

Thanks for letting me vent and also thanks for not responding b/c you are offended.

2002MK4

Veteran Member
TDI
2002, 2003 Jetta TDI
I'm on the opposite end. I shift around 1400RPM's all the time. I go quickly through the gearbox achieving 5th really quickly even at speeds below 35MPH. Occasionally, if I need good acceleration for on ramps or a quick move into traffic from a stop, I'll go WFO and carry the R's up around 3k before shifting. I might do that too if I find a Prius or a Smart car too...just to unload a little carbon on them...but my Jetta only gets that loaded up to accomplish that once a week or so.
Apparently you're not suppose to bog down a diesel. Good luck with the semi annual intake cleanings.

I shift early when cold yeah...but after that in the 2,500 to 3,000 range always.

Certainly don't redline it unless I'm merging onto a highway quickly but don't shift so low either.

Van Wylder

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta sedan 5 spd. 03 Jetta wagon 5 spd.
I drive mine like I stole it. I'm kind to it during the initial warmup but after it's up to temp I drive it like I stole it. :cool:

When accelerating normally with a COLD engine, I shift at NO LESS THAN 2500 RPM. I don't wind the p!$$ out of it but get it up to at least 2500 RPM. I try to avoid hard acceleration during the initial warmup period.

When accelerating normally with a WARM engine (i.e., up to operating temp), I shift at NO LESS THAN 3000 RPM. This cycles the VNT mechanism in the turbo and keeps it operating freely. By winding it up to 3000 RPM or higher guarantees I'll land at 2000 RPM or slightly higher to hit the torque sweet spot in the next gear . Bottom line is I stay operating between the torque peak and HP peak on the engine's torque and hp curves. The engine has a nice power band in this RPM range and I've learned to USE it. It's all the more fun when your TDI has performance mods. :cool:

Whenever I need maximum acceleration, I wind it up to somewhere between 3500 and 4000 RPM before each shift. I love doing this on long highway on-ramps, especially uphill ramps. :cool:

Whatever I do, I specifically AVOID heavy throttle in any gear when under 2000 RPM to prevent lugging the engine. I'll downshift if need be. It's OK to putt through a parking lot at low RPM, but at light or no load and no throttle. All I'm saying is avoid having your foot to the floor at low RPMs with a heavy load that keeps the RPMs low.

After I've finished accelerating and reached CRUISE speed, I use whatever gear puts the engine in the 2000-ish RPM range or slightly higher.

These are general rules that apply to the life of the car and are part of Drivbiwire's break-in guidelines. I've been practicing them since day one with my TDI ownership (02 Golf, 05 JWagen, 10 JSW). After a combined total of more than 420k miles, with close to 300k of those miles with performance mods, I can say the guidelines WORK and are good for your TDI's long term health.

TDIs thrive on being driven like they were stolen. :cool:
^^^What he said^^^^

The previous owner of my car babied it. I had a clogged intake and gunked up turbo as a result. The experts on here believe the car can take good, spirited driving. I believe them. My fuel economy is still 45 in city/commuting, and 50+ on the HWY.