Wheel Bearing Troubleshooting

PatrickPresti

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Golf TDI
Hi Guys,

Just wondering how to troubleshoot if you have a bad wheel bearing in the front end? I have this whining sound which sounds like it's coming from the front of the car. This whining gets louder as the faster in speed I get.

Thanks,

Pat

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Likely a bearing. Possibly a tire. You should rotate your tires to see if the noise changes. If the sound is there when you turn sharply then it is likely a CV joint. Only other thing it can be is a wheel bearing. Now the hard part is which one. My advice is to get the bearings for both sides as you have a 50/50 chance of getting the correct bearing done the first time. It is REALLY hard to find the problem bearing unless it is so bad that with the wheels off the ground and turning the wheel you can tell sometimes that way.

PatrickPresti

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Golf TDI
Okay thanks. How difficult is it to change the front wheel bearings? I did one of the rear ones and it wasn't too bad at all.

Thanks Again

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
At one time I replaced all 4 wheel bearings and it ended up being the set of tires - even though they looked decent at around 100k. Now pushing 215k and it sounds liek I have a RR making noise but I'll be really checking out the tires first!

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
Try rotating but that didn't help me much.

A different set to run for a few days would be ideal.

See if the noise stays, or stays at the same wheel.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
The fronts aren't terrible. If you don't mind getting an alignment then you can just take the whole assembly off and get the bearings pressed in and out at a shop. I used the Sir-B90 kit (started a thread). Scurvy also has a how to with a harbor freight system.

turboboost1

Veteran Member
TDI
None, Did the buyback
Does the whining noise go away when the brakes are applied? Typically, when braking fairly hard, the rotor will center the bearing in the race, and noise will be diminished.

PatrickPresti

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Golf TDI
I didn't pay attention when I brake however when I might a hard right turn the noise goes away. When I make a left turn, the noise stays. Any thoughts?

Nutsnbolts

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
On the Mk4s like what you have, when you load the bearing, the noise will go away (it's the opposite on most cars). So in this case, when turning right, the left bearing is loaded and the noise goes away, so as the above post indicated, the left front wheel bearing should be the one that is bad.

To verify, jack up the left front wheel, and wiggle it back and forth, and up and down. You may feel some looseness, which is a sure giveaway.

-Rich

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
I have read and experienced myself the trouble with thinking I knew which bearing was bad. Since there is two sets of ball bearings in each wheel bearing it is really hard to tell which side it is. Trust me, if you determine it is a wheel bearing get the supplies to do both sides. I did the wrong side first and the next day did the correct side.

PatrickPresti

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Golf TDI
Hey Guys,

I just changed the left front wheel bearing and it's still making the same noise. The inner race on the old bearing had one little spot that was pitted but that was all.

When I break the noise remains.

When I turn the wheel to the right ever so slightly, the noise goes away. When I turn the wheel to the left ever so slightly, the noise gets much stronger.

When the front is jacked up, both front wheels spin the same and have an ever so amount of play in them. Them same goes for the rear set of wheels too.

ANY THOUGHTS???

jgeorge

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 audi a3 tdi
with the front of the car up on jack stands- Don't try this with only a car jack- spin the wheels up in 2-4th gear- you should be able to hear a hum or glowl if its a bearing.- With a long extention, prybar etc place 1 end against the inside knuckle face, close to the axle-carefull not to contact the spinning axle- with your ear at the other end- compare both sides. The noise heard will be much louder from the failing side- If 1 wheel spins much faster than the other, check that side 1st, then you'll have to slow down that wheel so the other one will speed up to check. I use a prybar and press it against the fast spinning tire to slow it so the other one will speed up. BE CAREFULL! If your not confident in trying this method, and you should have a helper, then DON'T ATTEMPT! It has its obvious risks!

cfa5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon 5sp
You need to pull the axle out of the steering knuckle to 100% verify a wheel bearing problem.

PatrickPresti

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Golf TDI
I did pull the axle 100% from the steering knuckle when I changed the bearing. What would you check when the axle is 100% out from the steering knuckle?

cfa5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon 5sp
you would grasp the wheel hub and rotate it. It only should move back and forth, if in and out play is present, the bearing needs replacing.

Bran Diezel

Veteran Member
TDI
On my 5th TDi - 2003 ALH 5spd Wagon
you need a dial gauge to check run out on the hubs if you want to do it how you are supposed to.

i never do it that way though lol.