Brake pad left/right wear difference (and dealer story)

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
While a dealer was repairing a loose turbocharger hose, they called me and said that my car needed new rear brakes. Said something about "metal on metal" and "1mm left", "2mm right". Of course, he wanted to sell me new pads and rotors. Knowing the rate of pad wear from previous DIY maintenance, I doubted that the brake pads really were worn out, so I declined.

So now I measure the brake pads just to make sure, and the results are: 8.5mm left, 10mm right (wear limit is 7mm, so 1.5mm remaining on the left, 3mm remaining on the right). At my rate of brake pad wear (about 1mm per 10,000 miles), this is probably 10,000-15,000 miles before the left pad reaches the 7mm limit.

But why would the left rear brake pad wear faster than the right rear brake pad? There does not seem to be any left bias when I use the brakes, and fuel economy has not changed other than due to recent carrying of roof rack cargo (if a brake were dragging, I'd expect fuel economy to get worse).

So what would the explanation be?

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
tjl said:
While a dealer was repairing a loose turbocharger hose, they called me and said that my car needed new rear brakes. Said something about "metal on metal" and "1mm left", "2mm right". Of course, he wanted to sell me new pads and rotors. Knowing the rate of pad wear from previous DIY maintenance, I doubted that the brake pads really were worn out, so I declined.

So now I measure the brake pads just to make sure, and the results are: 8.5mm left, 10mm right (wear limit is 7mm, so 1.5mm remaining on the left, 3mm remaining on the right). At my rate of brake pad wear (about 1mm per 10,000 miles), this is probably 10,000-15,000 miles before the left pad reaches the 7mm limit.

But why would the left rear brake pad wear faster than the right rear brake pad? There does not seem to be any left bias when I use the brakes, and fuel economy has not changed other than due to recent carrying of roof rack cargo (if a brake were dragging, I'd expect fuel economy to get worse).

So what would the explanation be?
Because they're crooks?? ;)

How does the caliper look on the left side? Are the slide pins moving freely?

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Slider pins are probably not working correctly. Had this same issue on my Jetta. Had to eventually go to the wrecker and pick up a new carrier + pins.. My stock ones were toast after 200K :)

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
All the breaks I've changed have worn unevenly slightly. I think its due to driving style and situations. Breaking in corners will require more force on one wheel vs another I think. Just speculating though.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Heck, that is not enough wear difference to worry about. Just be thankful the dealer did not replace the brakes and do it yourself reasonabally soon. New pads and new rotors. Make sure the caliper sliding surfaces are rust/dirt free and that the pins and boots are in good shape. Your next set may wear evenly if you clean up the sliding surfaces.

Get this, 2 years ago the dealer quoted me $425 to replace rear brake pads and rotors on Mom's 2000 Jetta TDI. For about $120 in parts I did it for her in a couple of hours!