Another oil question- with a different twist

CsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 TouaregTDI, '15 JettaTDI
is a VW approved 507.00 5w-30 spec oil that allows for the engine to run quiet with no evap/loss of oil between changes preferable, or any better, than another VW approved 507.00 5w-30 spec oil that loses about 1/2 liter between changes and results in noisier engine operation?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
All other things being equal I would pick the VW approved 507.00 5w-30 spec oil that allows for the engine to run quiet with no evap/loss of oil between changes. Why put up with loss of fluid and more noise? It would probably take scientific testing to determine other benefits/differences.

CsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
My pick is the same except my go-to has been discontinued. Would this mean that the oil resulting in more clatter is either not actually up to spec., providing less lubrication, or is worse for the vehicle?

CsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I have used Motul Specific 507. for years. I tried the 8100 x-clean+ last time because it was cheaper and I was told that it was replacing the specific 507 anyway. I am ready to change my oil again and was told that the specific has been discontinued.

CsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks. I may try the Pentosin and if no different than the x-clean+, I may just go back to that. The Motul Specific is getting really more expensive and US availability on these sites seems to be limited to just 1L (remaining 1L?) containers.

CsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
a change in the number of suppliers/supplies makes sense with a change in demand. Wish they would have given an early heads up, oh well.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Early on I spent time buying up peoples unused supplies. DSG kits, oil and such. Got them for a steal and have 120k miles of supplies now for very, very cheap. Don't see much any more though.

CsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Good pricing is always good. I will get them as I go along. I have oil filters because of a deal... (although also used in Audi, Skoda, and Seat) Not sure that the Motul Specific is related to dieselgate.

I would think eventually lower volume availability would be TDI engine specific repair items. Even lower volume if not also used in the other TDI engines, or VAG brands.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
507 was only required when dpf's came about in 2007. All of those cars are being bought back and crushed, some resold due to dieselgate. As the cars that require this oil decreases I would expect some thinning of the supplies for them to also decrease.

CsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I see, agreed. That may have been the business case for suppliers moving on from this specific Motul packaging. Generally speaking, in the worst case scenario, I would think that you would go through the dealer, or at that point, include probably low risk options with a MB229.50 or BMW LL-04.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
You guys are forgetting that 504/507 is not specific to TDI's the 504 is the current spec for all newer VW gassers.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
That doesn't negate the fact that a lot of cars using this oil are leaving the road. VW will probably have a new spec soon any way. ;)

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
That doesn't negate the fact that a lot of cars using this oil are leaving the road. VW will probably have a new spec soon anyway. ;)
VW sold a lot more gassers than TDI's so the loss of the CR TDI's is really not going to impact the 504/507 oil spec. Why would they change the spec for all those other cars (gassers) sold during the same time period and currently that all those gassers fall in to? There are also many CR TDI's with DPFs all around the world that were not included in the North American recall/buyback. I don't see this spec going away soon. Maybe Modul never sold well here so they are just pulling out of the North American market.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Maybe you are right. The spec comment wasn't serious as the wink indicates. They have changed the spec at least several times since I have started driving them. Numbers of cars around the world didn't seem to matter then. Who really cares! The oil is available if anyone wants any right now.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
a change in the number of suppliers/supplies makes sense with a change in demand. Wish they would have given an early heads up, oh well.
This is why I made my comments...........I don't believe there is a change in demand. There is a whole world out there. Not just North America that still uses the 504/507 spec. Gassers and TDI's alike. There are many more gasser VW's in North America than there ever was TDI's. I believe 504/507 spec oil will be available for a long time to come. Maybe just not Motul.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
There must have been some change in demand for this particular product as it was for sale and now is being discontinued. They don't do that when there is a high demand for a product. Motul seems to always have been a specialty product and not commonly available like Castrol and some others. The tdi'ers are more particular about their choice of oil in my opinion and so "I" think they were hit particularly hard vs the other providers. Alas we will never know as Motul isn't giving reasons.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
The tdi'ers are more particular about their choice of oil in my opinion and so "I" think they were hit particularly hard vs the other providers. Alas we will never know as Motul isn't giving reasons.
I would like to know how many members of our group are or were using Motul Specific 507oil in their TDI's. There has never been much chatter here about it.

Last edited:

CsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I counted over 2331 threads that included Motul in a search here...

Are you saying that the gassers are recommended to use ACEA C3 5W-30 oils? That would be a big change. I remember reading that VW EPA certified a number of 2017s with 5W-40 502.00 spec oil. I have seen where the manual for instance in the 17 sportwagon says that they can accept 502.00, 503.00, and 504.00, and I think the engine sticker says 502. but maybe something different is going on now.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG

Are you saying that the gassers are recommended to use ACEA C3 5W-30 oils? 504.00,
Yes 507 is 504 if you read the label on your oil it is 504/507 approved for VW gasoline and diesel engines. VW specs 504/507 for all newer gassers.
Motul Specific 504 00 507 00 5W-30
Application
Engine lubricants
Quality
100% Synthetic
Product Range
Car
Viscosity
5w30
OEM Approvals
VW 504 00 - 507 00

Last edited:

CsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
interesting and I hear you. I always figured if the 507 oil had low SAPs and provided some of if not the best lubrication and protection seen on Lubrizol why wouldn't it be good for a gas engine. Many on vortex are not sold with either C3 or the 5w-30 oil for the gas engine.

Everything related to testing, MPGs, after treatments, and certs on both the 18 Tiguan and Atlas was with 5W-40 502. oil

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Yes, there are many threads about Motul Oil not very many about Motul Specific 5-30 504/507. Most of them are about Motul 5-40 505-505.1 and PD engines. I didn't bother to count.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Many on vortex are not sold with either C3 or the 5w-30 oil for the gas engine.
Everything related to testing, MPGs, after treatments, and certs on both the 18 Tiguan and Atlas was with 5W-40 502. oil
Well, that may be true but VW spec's 504/507 for the newer gassers that all I know because I don't have a VW gasser and have not paid any attention to what oil is the best performing in those engines.