Dead battery, remote key fob, door lock trouble not working

nemesis500548

TDI
02 Jetta
It took me a while to find the surprisingly simple answer to this aggrivating problem, so I'm reposting the info with lots of keywords so hopefully it will be easier for the next guy to find. Maybe even have someone list it in a FAQ or something.

Anyway, the battery died on my car a few days ago and after getting it going again I noticed that the remote/key fob would unlock the drivers door and trunk, but no matter how many times I hit the unlock button it wouldn't unlock the rest. I tried the key pairing deal thing in the owners manual and still no go. So after a few hours of searching this and other websites I found the simple and retarded answer.

Hit the lock/unlock button on the passenger door.

I have no idea how it works or why. I can't even begin to understand how or why. It baffles the mind. If this was intentional programming, who the hell thought of it. I mean really, battery goes dead, so the remote will only unlock the driver door. And to fix this you hit the lock/unlock button on the passenger door. Are you kidding me? Who the hell thinks this s**t up! And how did the first guy figure it out?:confused:

btrumper

TDI
2003 wagon, 2011 Golf Wagon
Thank you so much for posting this information. I encountered the exact same situation as you describe and until I found your post, I had been completely baffled as to how to remedy it. I did as you said and the problem completely disappeared. This place is great!
Thanks again.

ik0n

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon TDI
GREAT POST!

Took my car in and had the windows tinted today.
The guy told me that the battery had gone low (guess it went dead) because they leave the car on to use the controls.
I couldn't figure out, what was wrong; so I just told myself: "The TDI club will have an answer for me when I get home".
Sure enough, one quick search and I found my answer/fix!

Cheers! :D

copatdir6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
Thank you so much. I had my battery not die completely, but after sitting in the cold overnight, it started VERY rough and at one point the dash lights all came on (indicating a dead/dying battery). It did turn over (thankfully) but for the past 2 days the passenger and other doors would not unlock just as you described.

I am in class right now, but will try your "method" of fixing the issue and let everyone know if it resolves it.

Again, thanks for the post.

copatdir6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
Hey, just to let everyone know....this worked like a charm. Just as stated. Thanks again!!!

DieselFiend1.9

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI (4sp Auto)
thanks for the tip!!! I tried your fix on my 2003 Jetta TDI and it was a GREAT SUCCESS!!!

Like ik0n, my batt died at the window tinting place and the doorlocks were malfunctioning ever since. Apparently a dead/dying battery will cause this and hitting the passenger door lock control is the only way to remind the controller that other doors exist besides just the driver's door!!

THANKS AGAIN!

cspeter8

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Sedan
if this works it is very useful knowledge!
more keywords for finding this thread:

Double unlock on FOB doesnt unlock all doors
cant unlock the doors with Fob (Drivers door is ok)

Another confirmation - a 2005 Jetta TDI Sportwagon - this WORKS!!!

Last edited:

Wickers

TDI
2003 Mk IV Golf Estate, 2009 Mk V Golf Estate
Hey, bit of a lurker on here but you lot have got me out of the mire on more than one occasion - I now have this problem, but can't fix it with the suggestion, either that or I'm doing it wrong. My passenger door has no "unlock" button the same as the drivers door does - do you mean the button that sits proud of the door? The one that gets depressed vertically? I've tried that and ot makes no difference. To be fair, I think the battery is pretty much on its last legs so will this fix only work once the battery is replaced? Thanks for your time.

ZipiTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver B5.5 GLS TDi Passat wagon w/ Tiptronic
It took me a while to find the surprisingly simple answer to this aggrivating problem, so I'm reposting the info with lots of keywords so hopefully it will be easier for the next guy to find. Maybe even have someone list it in a FAQ or something.

Anyway, the battery died on my car a few days ago and after getting it going again I noticed that the remote/key fob would unlock the drivers door and trunk, but no matter how many times I hit the unlock button it wouldn't unlock the rest. I tried the key pairing deal thing in the owners manual and still no go. So after a few hours of searching this and other websites I found the simple and retarded answer.

I have no idea how it works or why. I can't even begin to understand how or why. It baffles the mind. If this was intentional programming, who the hell thought of it. I mean really, battery goes dead, so the remote will only unlock the driver door. And to fix this you hit the lock/unlock button on the passenger door. Are you kidding me? Who the hell thinks this s**t up! And how did the first guy figure it out?:confused:
This did not work for my B5.5.
New battery installed in January.
Door lock problems began about a month ago (July), first with the passenger door left side. Key fob wouldn't lock or unlock it. Unlock switch on driver's door sometimes worked, but stopped working a week later. Have to manually open door using the interior handle.
Then a week and half ago, the right side rear passenger door started doing the same thing. Only manually opening it from the interior handle works to open it now too.
Today, the front passenger door failed to unlock.
Trunk lid and driver's door lock/unlock works fine with key fob and interior switch. What a pain in the neck.

Took it to my indy shop. Owner/mechanic was totally stumped. Said he'd never seen this happen, and all he works on are VWs and Audis (going on 32 years now). He got the front passenger door to unlock using the lock/unlock switch on that door, and key fob worked on both front doors again. No charge.

I just checked the car door locks again (5 hours later) and key fob was not locking/unlocking the front passenger door again. Reached over to use the lock switch and it worked to open only the front doors. So frustrating!

8 years of dealing with all the expensive maintenance and repairs on my '05 Passat TDi wagon and my '04 Jetta TDi sedan, and then all the fraudulent crap, etc., VW did pulled on the newer TDis, have soured my desire to ever own another VW. I'll be selling them both very soon. Going back to Subaru.

Save
Save

Last edited:

Cdmac

TDI
Leon fr mk1
Solution hasn't worked for me.

Hi guys. Long time lurker, first time poster.
I got a new remote fob just back in April for my Seat Leon FR TDI. It's worked fine since getting it 9 months ago. However I noticed today that it now only unlocks the drivers door. It doesn't unlock the other doors, including car boot/trunk. The solution suggested of unlocking the passenger side door manually isn't an option with my car. Now, the day before I noticed this problem my car battery died and I had to get a jump start off my wife's car. That was 2 days ago. My SEAT has been running fine since the jump start but it does seem the key fob/remote locking issue began same time that car battery died. Incidentally once I unlock the doors manually (using the central locking button on the drivers side door) the fob/remote will lock them all the doors when I exit the vehicle, so the problem is remotely unlocking doors, other than the drivers one. Is this likely a side effect of my car vattwry dying? Any suggestions appreciated. Cheers

TDI_FNG

TDI
2004 Jetta
OMFG, thank you, thank you, thank you.

Last month I ran out of fuel and ran the battery down trying to prime the system, fortunately I don't have to crack the lines at the injectors. The AAA guy was in total disbelief. Shortly after I started to notice that a double tap wouldn't unlock all the doors (I seldom have passengers).

I have to agreed with the OP, what kind of 'tard thinks this is a good "feature" to program into the system?

tallgrip

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Car locks not working

The battery is dead in my 2003 Jetta tdi and I am trying to manually unlock but it won’t unlock the door or the trunk. Any ideas?

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
Well the trunk is just an electric actuator, so I wouldn't bother there. What happens when you turn the door lock? Maybe it's just frozen/stiff from not being used. I'd give it repeated back and forth turns. Consider using some type of lubricant (this is an area of debate - lube vs. graphite and the risk of sludge or things sticking) but since it's already stuck you have nothing to lose.

tallgrip

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Locked out

I have sprayed it with wd40 to clean it out and the key turns with no resistance it just doesn’t lift the lock all the way. You can see the knob for the lock partially raise but it feels as if there is a spring pulling it back down. The key doesn’t turn any further and cannot get the door to unlock. Unfortunately I ended up out of town for several months so the battery is completely dead. I was going to put it on charge this morning when I realized I can’t even get in to pop the hood. At a loss.

tallgrip

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I have sprayed it with wd 40in the lock to clean it out since I figured it might just be sticking but nothing changed. It will partially pop up but as soon as you release the key it goes back down as if a magnet is attached to it.

tallgrip

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
yes the handle works the lock just isnt releasing. I saw on one youtubethat it is an elecromagnetic lock in those years so not sure what to do

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
I don't think the lock operation on the door is dependent on electrics. it just allows it to operate remotely. Tried the passenger side?

Also, I don't remember how much access there is underneath the car, but if you could attach a jumper cable onto the starter power lead (and ground anywhere on the engine) you could back feed your battery and use your remote.

TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2003 Jetta GLS Grey 5 spd. Previous: 2003 Jetta GLS Silver 5 spd (lost in a collision)
Anyway, the battery died on my car a few days ago and after getting it going again I noticed that the remote/key fob would unlock the drivers door and trunk, but no matter how many times I hit the unlock button it wouldn't unlock the rest...
Just used this technique :confused: to cure a rear door not unlocking after a battery drain event. 2003 Jetta
I will give it a try and let you know. thanks.
I hope tallgrip is not still locked out...:D

Raysovshine

TDI
2007 Golf
Door locks and window operation not working after dead battery

Hi all! The battery died in our Golf 2007 and since then only the driver window opens/closes and driver door locks/unlocks with remote. We’ve tried lock/unlock as previously suggested here. Anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks

Andy_Beezy

TDI
2004 MK4 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat B5.5 TDI

14 years later... I had the same problem and couldn't figure it out. Luckily I found this. Thank you!