98 Jetta hard starting when cold

1Bad87gn

TDI
1998 Jetta
I have a 98 Jetta with 248,000 miles on it. Whenever it's moderately cold out it is hard to start, and the colder it is the harder it is to start even when I have cycled the glow plugs 4-6 times. It started just fine until I had the injection pump replaced. I have replaced the following parts:
Timing belt and associated parts, glow plugs and harness, glow plug relay, injector nozzles (Bozio nozzles). The only way it will start easily is plugging the block heater. I keep up on the maintenance religiously so I can't figure out why this problem continues to plauge me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
I have a 98 Jetta with 248,000 miles on it. Whenever it's moderately cold out it is hard to start, and the colder it is the harder it is to start even when I have cycled the glow plugs 4-6 times. It started just fine until I had the injection pump replaced. I have replaced the following parts:
Timing belt and associated parts, glow plugs and harness, glow plug relay, injector nozzles (Bozio nozzles). The only way it will start easily is plugging the block heater. I keep up on the maintenance religiously so I can't figure out why this problem continues to plauge me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
check your static timing with vag com, it may be off

1Bad87gn

TDI
1998 Jetta
Thanks for the help, I took it to a shop today and I let the shop owner know what you'all said, and he also agrees.

Thanks for the help.

GPS Tech

TDI
1998 Jetta
I just ran a post a couple of weeks ago about replacing my injection pump and then the car would not start if cold. I had to disconnect the temp control sensor to start the car if it sat for a more than 4 hours. after much trouble shooting My solution was to replace the pump again.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
gps_tech,
Did you ever check the timing, before replacing the pump?

Tony