2015 Sportwagen TDI recurrent P00BD code

Scottgenstein

TDI
2015 Golf Sportswagen
My TDI keeps throwing up excessive mass air flow (P00BD) OBDII codes. Car runs perfectly and has only 35K miles as of today, but has been giving me that code intermittently for probably two years! I discovered 6 months ago that the car was manufactured minus one screw right by the mass airflow sensor and corrected the problem. The CEL disappeared after some time and stayed off for maybe 1500-plus miles but has returned again along with the CEL. The code apparently is a so-called "permanent" code that will stay off only if the OBDII drive cycle is deployed to reset the readiness monitors. The drive cycle one dealer was kind enough to provide me reads in part "DRIVE: Vehicle for 30- 40 min at a constant speed of 50 -70 mph in high gear for 2 min with no coasting." How can I drive for 30 - 40 minutes for 2 minutes? If anyone can get an answer to that question I would be very appreciative since obviously that's some sort of misprint. Anyone else have this problem?

Last edited:

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Wonder if they meant miles? As in drive 30-40 miles at that speed for that time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scottgenstein

TDI
2015 Golf Sportswagen
Thanks, ProfBrown, but to drive 30-40 miles at that speed cannot be done in 2 minutes--it would take 30 to 40 minutes!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I would just try the procedure ignoring the 2 minute part. 30 to 40 minutes at 50 to 70 mph, no coasting. You are trying to reset the monitors and they don't usually reset in a short period of time. What can it hurt other than some wasted time and fuel?

Scottgenstein

TDI
2015 Golf Sportswagen
Thanks Lightflyer1--been figuring I'll do that late at night, and since I need a continuous 1 hour trip I'll have to also take a 1 hr return trip, thus running 2 cycles. What a pain!

Scottgenstein

TDI
2015 Golf Sportswagen
Well, I won't even have a chance to try the drive cycle. The damned thing brings up the code within minutes of driving and within a bit more the CEL illuminates, so I have to dig further. I'm now looking for what the proper mass air flow should be at idle--my car idles right around 770 rpm with MAFlow at about .900 lbs. I've no idea what the MAF should be and am searching for info. Naturally, I'll clean my MAF sensor before proceding but I really don't think that's the problem given lack of symptoms but for CEL and DTC P00BD. Thanks all for your input. I don't have an honest mechanic near me that I know of and the dealer I've gone to just tries to defraud me by saying, for ex., that I need a new air filter when I just installed one a few weeks prior, etc. etc. etc.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
I wouldn't touch the MAF as its a warranty item and usually have paint on the anti tamper screws. You could be screwed for hundreds if it turns out to be the culprit and VW sees its been tampered with. Did you install an oem air filter or something else?

Scottgenstein

TDI
2015 Golf Sportswagen
Thanks, thundershorts, for the warning re. warranty. My memory was off about the air filter--I had checked to make sure it was clean but it didn't need replacement so it's the original that came with the new car.