Frank's TDI's New Surfacing Equipment!

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Here is the new addition...

Click on the pic for larger image...

The Comec 750 is ideally suited for smaller heads like the TDI's. PCD (Poly Crystalline Diamond) cutters are used for a truly exceptional finish for aluminum heads and CBN (Cubic Boron Nitride) is perfect for surfacing cast iron blocks.

The PCD cutter can get finishes as smooth as glass (Ra 4), as is needed for a Ford 3.0 engine, but for the TDI's, a Ra of 20 gives a good grip to the head gasket while leaving a beautiful finish.

The best part is turnaround time will further improve. Depending on workload, we can conceive shipping heads the same day received. There is still much catchup to be done, but this is another big step.

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I almost want my timing belt to skip so I can send the head to you.

...Almost :)

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I think I would settle for a visit and spending a week with Frank.. Oh the things I could learn...

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Saweeet...

I have to ask though...did you fancy up your shop or did the D.A. (Domestic Associate) let you set it up in the house? Does she even know? Feel free to invoke the 48 hour rule if needed. :cool:

Last edited:

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Seriously, That is a picture of the shop this thing came out of... he's got 16" ceramic tile floors! It looks like it's in the house.

It's not here yet. I've got to pick it up North of Ashville, NC. ROADTRIP!

But as for the shop, we've been taking pains with it getting things organized. Had to... I've got more equipment coming.

Stay tuned... there are some interesting projects in the works.

I also upgraded my 'powder scales' as one schmuck calls it, so I can do a better job of balancing pistons and rod assemblies. I think they are scientific scales, if it makes any difference... not to some.

But even with the 'caveman' equipment, I seem to get enough business to irritate the elitists.

cfm56

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI SportWagen
congrats Frank :) looking fwd to installing the t4's from you in my tdi

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Frank:

You always come up with the best toys! Congratulations on this new one and I hope it gives you a little free time to work on all the other projects you have banging around in your head.

Dan

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Cylinder head work varies according to the damage received. Generally, head repair that includes guides, seals, valve refacing, valve seat recut and resufacing the head gasket surface is about $300. If there is damage to valves, lifter bores, cam, lifters, seats or cam journals, cracks or broken seats, the price goes up.

Heat warped or cracked heads that include any other major repair are usually excessively expensive to repair. An outright cylinder head costs $795, including cam, lifters valves etc and includes a 1 yr unlimited mileage warranty.