Accidentally put a full tank of gas in my TDi :(

cgassner

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
I put a full tank of gas in my 2000 Jetta TDi at a BP (which has green nozzle covers on the petrol pumps), drove about 7.5 miles and the car stalled. I had the car towed to a local shop and the fuel tank drained. I replaced the filter and primed it with diesel. I also filled the tank up with diesel & now blowing smoke. When I start the car I can get the RPMs initially up to between 3000 - 4000, but after that initail startup RPMs won't go over about 1500. I've been trying to run it to get all of the residual gas out of the system, but seems that it's never ending!!!!:mad: I've run the car for a total of about 3.5 hours. What can I do? Please help. Thanks!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Always makes for a curious first post! Welcome aboard, Mr. Gasser :D

Throw some biodiesel in.

You're doing all the wrong things by trying to drain the fuel system with the engine running.

Anticipate a new pump.

tiredandwired

TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI
Same thing happened to me, but I drove about 30 mi. on 50/50. It was hard starting, but eventually did and ran before the problem was solved. At the onset of hard start, I had it towed, diesel purged and new filter installed. After two weeks without solving the problem, I drove it, came to my own conclusions, had it diesel purged again and the tank drained. It's been 3 mos. now, no problems.

Good Luck

cgassner

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
You must have misunderstood me. The tank was drained and the filter replaced before I tried to run the car. The problem I have right now is that I can rev the engine over 2000 RPM by sitting in the parking lot.
As soon as the car moves it won't accelerate over 2000 RPM and the power is cut off, the engine shakes and it starts smoking like hell (looks like it runs way too rich) Checking the Fault Codes braught up a P1248 (Ignition Start Control Deviation). Erasing this doesn't change something.

THX
Chris

RT1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI w/tiptronic 09A
cgassner said:
You must have misunderstood me. The tank was drained and the filter replaced before I tried to run the car. The problem I have right now is that I can rev the engine over 2000 RPM by sitting in the parking lot.
As soon as the car moves it won't accelerate over 2000 RPM and the power is cut off, the engine shakes and it starts smoking like hell (looks like it runs way too rich) Checking the Fault Codes braught up a P1248 (Ignition Start Control Deviation). Erasing this doesn't change something.

THX
Chris
That doesn't sound unlike a gasser that gets a dose of diesel. It'll run until you put it under load. It doesn't take much to mess up the fuel distribution. I wonder if the pressure of the injection cycle makes any gasoline still in the lines flash to vapor so it doesn't build the pressure at the injector. Maybe crack the injectors to make sure all the gasoline is out and diesel is getting to them? Carefully of course. Gasoline under pressure
sounds like a fire ready to happen.

cgassner

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
A little more info... reading the Bentley's maintenance manual, a small stream of bubbles coming out of the filter to the injection pump is allowable. I'm experiencing a constant (roughly+/- 50%) stream of bubbles flowing. Also, 2000 Jetta GLS TDi with 159,000 miles (thought this might be helpful). This morning I topped off the fuel filter with fresh diesel, pulled ground off the battery for about 10 sec., it was a chilly night and starting is becoming rougher. Idle is a bit rough and much more stalling.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
It is possible that you've damaged the injection pump (I.P.). It's doubtful you've damaged the engine. I'm ok with using a purge, but not particularly wanting you to get into biodiesel and have your car stalling from plugged fuel filters.

It's very doubtful it's running in limp mode. The wrong fuel wouldn't cause a limp mode.

The only other thing that can happen is the one-way valves in the fuel sending unit that is under the passenger side rear seat can become clogged (gasoline can act like a solvent in your diesel tank and bust things loose). Make sure fuel is drawing through your filter with a vacuum pump. That may be why you are getting all the extra bubbles in the line. Just because you replaced the filter doesn't mean you got every problem. Also check the return line, as it can clog also.

Good luck.

Last edited: