What do you do on a rainy Saturday morning

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
What do you do on a rainy Saturday afternoon ...you build an injector pop tester :D

I still have to mount the reservoir and inline filter. Other than that this unit is ready to go:)

Herm TDI

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
naugahide

greengeeker said:
Nice work . What did the missus think about the washing machine smelling like diesel and hydraulic oil?
Thats why I use a cover. Besides she was out spending $ which helps to keep her out of my hair.:rolleyes:

You're gonna love what I'm using as the reservoir. Its a brake fluid reservoir really ideal because it compatiable with diesel fuel as well as solvants such a "Dieselkeen" & "Power Service"

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Black iron and brass? Teflon tape? Are the materials up to the pressure needed to pop? Concerns about tape fines getting to the tips?
And can the jack develop pressure needed to pop a 220 bar (220 x 14.5 = 3190 psi) needle off its seat? If the piston is 4 inches in diameter the amount of area is about 12.5 square inches. To make 24000 pounds of force (12 tons) will require pressurizing each of those 12.5 square inches to just over 1900 lbs. The pressure at the black iron pipe on top will be the same 1900 lbs, far less than the 3200 needed for a 220 bar injector.
I believe the internal safety will prevent that jack from developing the 18 tons of force needed to obtain 3200 psi hydraulic pressure needed to pop the injector.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Lug- I think (??) he removed the big piston, so the piston diameter that is developing pressure is that on the pump. Much better leverage there.

I could see that little ball valve crapping itself under 220 bar.

Cool idea. Definitely out of the box sort of contraption.

-Eric

Herm TDI

Vendor
TDI
interesting

Lug_Nut said:
Black iron and brass? Teflon tape? Are the materials up to the pressure needed to pop? Concerns about tape fines getting to the tips?
And can the jack develop pressure needed to pop a 220 bar (220 x 14.5 = 3190 psi) needle off its seat? If the piston is 4 inches in diameter the amount of area is about 12.5 square inches. To make 24000 pounds of force (12 tons) will require pressurizing each of those 12.5 square inches to just over 1900 lbs. The pressure at the black iron pipe on top will be the same 1900 lbs, far less than the 3200 needed for a 220 bar injector.
I believe the internal safety will prevent that jack from developing the 18 tons of force needed to obtain 3200 psi hydraulic pressure needed to pop the injector.
People have been building these pop testers for years.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3630082
http://mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php?t=224334
http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=26399&d=1116471009

I ran mine (injectors) this evening and it words just fine. This unit easily developes more than
adequate pressure and flow needed to perform the poptest.
What you do not see is a 200um filter cartrage (aircraft grade) at the enterance of the fuel line. Nothing is going to the injector but fluid. This is the component you do not see attached to the injector line inlet.
http://en-co.wika.de/upload/DS_AC0910_GB_4569.pdf

Just the same, thank you for your constructive advice. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
Here's mine. Built with hydraulic "rated" fittings. I use it on my IDI.

Little resovoir I added later. Actually more of a built in fill funnel.

Last edited:

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
Herm TDI said:
What you do not see is a 200um filter cartrage (aircraft grade) at the enterance of the fuel line. Nothing is going to the injector but fluid. This is the component you do not see attached to the injector line inlet.
http://en-co.wika.de/upload/DS_AC0910_GB_4569.pdf
Thats a dandy, where can I get one of those? One of the guys on another forum just found a "thimble" filter with a paper element, and placed it inside one of the fittings. Acutally pretty good.

Herm TDI

Vendor
TDI
filter

CoolAirVw said:
Thats a dandy, where can I get one of those? One of the guys on another forum just found a "thimble" filter with a paper element, and placed it inside one of the fittings. Acutally pretty good.
I got mine from a small local airport. There are owner pilots that will be more than willing to help you. You can get a used filter and if you let them know that you will not be using it on an aircraft will back flush it and clean it for you for less than $20.00

These filters are well made. Though they are intended to be consumeable (replaced after so many flight hours) for non-avation uses can be easily back-flushed and cleaned.