p0544 Sensor 1 for exhaust temp bank 1 (G235)

n1d0n

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 golf tdi wolfsburg and 1986 toyota pickup SASed AHU tdi
Good day everyone.

I have done a lot of research but am Still trying to get more information.

I have a check engine with a glow plug warning light that is on now and I got the car scanned and I got the p0544 sensor 1 for exhaust temp bank 1 G235 code twice and from what I've seen so far it comes up twice for everyone for some reason..

I have found that the G235 sensor is part number 03l-906-088-l but I want to make sure if someone could actually confirmed that this is the right part number for that Check engine that would be really appreciated..

I am not sure if I am allowed to post a link like this but on that site theres a schema and I was wondering witch one is the right one for the G235 sensor
http://www.jimellisvwparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_product=5130925&ukey_assembly=742271

Thanks everyone in advance.

Marc

n1d0n

Veteran Member
TDI
Bump. Can anyone help?

n1d0n

Veteran Member
TDI
Do I need to provide more information or is it just something that hasn't been done often?

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
You might be the first! Keep us posted. Give it some time, some of our experts will chime in....

DZL_Damon

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Loyal Edition
Mark,

I'm in the same boat. The "L" sensor looks like the correct one. I've been doing lots of google and tdiclub searches on this and there are not a lot of clear concrete answers on it other than people that had the dealership do it.... so that doens't help me.

Told my dealership about it after the car cut out while passing someone. Had to duck back in before oncoming traffic made it to me coasting helplessly. Normal acceleration and it was back again:no code. Next day the ol lady borrows my car cause her Yaris spit the water pump. She told me the code started, but no issues with the car.

Result of scan: P0544 code for G235 sensor pre turbo temperature sensor. Called dealership: they won't tell me if it's a warranty item or not until THEY hook it up and read it. $50 later, they give me P0544 and tell me it's not under warranty. Gee, thanks. They also called it an exhaust "pressure" sensor and pointed to a sensor to the left of the valve cover with 2 hoses coming off it. I'm sure that's the exhaust pressure sensor, but that ain't what the code is!

Have you looked at this thing? I can BARELY feel it from the top of the engine reaching around the valve cover on the passenger side of the turbo. I got underneath and dropped the passenger drive shaft. I can barely make it out up there... it will definately need the DPF yanked to ever get to it.

Hoping this isn't hijacking since we're both looking for answers: does anyone know how to test this thermocouple? Is it an RTD or a J/K sensor generating a mV signal? can I still test the sensor from the connections with a multimeter? and uuuuuuh... where is that connection again?? :D

DZL_Damon

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Loyal Edition
FYI Post I found from NutsnBolts:

DPF temp sensors 2, 3 and 4 are labelled in the Bentley on Page 26-10. G495 should say sensor #3, but in my book it was labelled as #2. Temperature sensor #1 is located in the exhaust manifold. Here's the part numbers:

G235 Temperature sensor #1, black connector- 03L 906 088 L
G448 Temperature sensor #2, orange connector- 03L 906 088 T
G495 Temperature sensor #3, brown connector- 03L 906 088 J
G648 Temperature sensor #4, post DPF, orange connector (same as #2)- 038 906 088 G

n1d0n

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks DZL for that information.. I actually got the part number from there too but the place where I thought the sensor was is just before the turbo.. but again I am not sure that's why I was hoping that someone could show a diagram or confirm with the one I have put in my first post.

DZL_Damon

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Loyal Edition
n1d0n: I'm not sure if you scanned with an OBD scanner or VCDS, but my VCDS did in fact say "Pre turbo temperature sensor". I know that's not a lot of confirmation. I found a post somewhere else of what the blocks were for VCDS to monitor to confirm/deny if it's the right one. I will do this as soon as I put the axle back on and take it for a ride and let you know. if the pre turbo sensor is pegged at 930*C, then I know its the impossible to reach sensor. And with that, I'll have to remove the entire exhaust/emissions system just to GET to it!

n1d0n

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok thanks a lot again for all the help and if you have time and only of you want to, take a picture of the location of the sensor one it's
Accessible it will difenetely help other people and I will difenetely do the same if I do it but for some reason when I cleared the code it still hasn't come back yet and all the power came back.

DZL_Damon

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Loyal Edition
I just got in from trouble shooting. The exhaust temperature sensors are mounted right on the firewall by the battery (closest to the engine). Under the aluminum wrap is a orange (top) and black (bottom) connector. I found this by doing enough wiggling of the wires from under the car holding the impossible to reach G235 pre turbo temperature sensor. The G235 is the black connector as one of the links before stated. It's directly below the orange one in this picture (which is the pre filter or post turbine sensor). The aluminum protective cloth is removed here. Pull straight out on the whole unit and they come out of their clip. Insert a small screwdriver in the back notch and lightly push down on the handle as you easily slide the connectors apart.

On VCDS under Engine blocks, go to block 99 (at least for my 09 TDi) and you will see the pre turbo temp sensor and the pre filter temp sensor (thats the orange one). My Pre turbo sensor was pegged at 930*C while the other read 18*C (car off and cold).

I swapped the 2 connectors to verify my sensor was dead and not my connections to the ECU (Had to shave a small tit off the orange sensor to allow it to plug into the black). Sure enough, the readings switched. So I now know my G235 sensor is done. I also tested resistance across the 2 wires to the sensors. My good one (orange) would give a resistance reading for a minute, then go like it was open. I assume this is because these are J/K sensors that produce a mA or mV signal vs and old school RTD. The small induced amperage from the multi meter in resistance mode caused it to eventually act like it was open. If you let go of the meter for a second then touched the connectors again, it would show some climbing resistance, then go open again.

It would not do this on the bad sensor.

So, now it looks like I'm yanking the DPF to get to this thing for certain.

EDIT: I got pictures, but they don't do much good. If you're under the car, look along side the driver side of the DPF downpipe and you will see a wire coming out under the turbine. It has a 90* steel tubing bend with the wire run in it, then the wires run down. My pictures are so zoomed in you can't really tell what you are looking at. You do not have to remove the axle to see it, set your head just a little aft of the axle and look up there with a good flash light.

Last edited:

n1d0n

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow thanks for all that information and I am pretty sure that I've seen that wire when I did an oil change last week but I'll look again for the time being the issue didn't come back yet and I really don't understand why. I really hope that it will help other people to find it so that they can save a lot of money. Dealer wanted 360$ for that sensor and you can have it online for 108$. I can't even imagine what they would charge to do the job.

Thanks again and if the issue comes back for me I will also document it.

n1d0n

Veteran Member
TDI
I have also logged block 99 this morning on my way to work and the thing is all over the place. It is reading ok but when I barely press on the accelerator it shows 930 and sometimes when I put the pedal to the floor 1 time out of 3 it will start climbing normally then hit 930 until I let go.

Not to sure how to troubleshoot this?

Does anyone have any ideas?

DZL_Damon

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Loyal Edition
Got mine off today. I see how mine failed. This EGT probe has a perforated cage (like a muzzle break on a machine gun) around a small element in the middle that appears to be made of a type of ceramic. Mine on the G235 sensor was broken in 2 with a piece hanging off the main piece. All 3 of the other sensors had a solid piece in the middle. I bet with your flickering like that it is cracked and in the process of coming off completely....

FYI for people that have gone as far as I have and have torn the DPF and EGR filter down... the G235 sensor is NOT left hand thread. It has the notches on the nut where your 17mm wrench goes on it (like an propane or acetylene bottle), but it is NOT LH thread.

Oh yeah... have fun taking that dang DPF out without dropping the subframe. It comes out, but BARELY. You will have to add a little clearance on the aluminum heat shield that is running through the exhaust tunnel. Taking the O2 sensor off the top helps give a hair more clearance as well. After lots of wiggling, swearing, and speaking to our Lord a few times she finally came out. No problem to reach up there to spray a little PB Blaster on the G235 threads.... have a choice beverage (or Diet 7up as an old captain I knew used to always joke about), then pop it right out. I snipped the wire so I could put my box end on the nut just to be safe.

I plan on doing a write up on how to do this when I'm finished. I've been taking pictures, but when I re assemble I'll take better ones so people don't have to shoot in the dark so much on this.

Last edited:

n1d0n

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow so you really to remove that dpf? Ouch that's a tasks.

Thanks a lot for all that information. Where did you order your sensor?

The best price I found was
105$ but I am not sure if they ship to Canada.

DZL_Damon

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Loyal Edition
I got it from the jim ellis site.... $148 after shipping. Still not here... looks like tomorrow it will though.

I think any of those sensor would work (I proved the pre filter one did). I think the only differences are the color connectors, length of wire, and if they have slightly different nubs to avoid accidentally plugging one into the other.

I don't know why VW chose to use such rickety sensors. EGT Sensors I've installed on other diesel engines are solid and are fully protected j/k thermocouples. This one is delicate and lightly protected from FOD or heavy vibrations. I supposed it is more reactive than a fully covered one... but at what expense??

sunsation288

TDI
Golf TDI 2010
Hi , it's look mine gone off too , anyone have found good price on web ? , if yes can you share ?
thanks in advance
001348 - Sensor 1 for Exhaust Temp Bank 1 (G235)

rjdio

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Did a write up ever get done on this? Looking like I'll be doing this in the near future.

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
Same boat, sensor just failed on my car tonight, any good prices out there other than UK ebay?
try a US vendor (ship via USPS) or your local dealer. I had to go that route to get the brown one (G495 Temperature sensor #3, brown connector- 03L 906 088 J). I had Diesel_Dazzler in Dorchester install it...

Last edited:

DZL_Damon

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Loyal Edition
I never did a write up... I did a very abbreviated step by step in the MKV section recently.

jimwillisvw.com sells the sensors, and now idparts.com does (even cheaper, and good TDI parts supplier). ID parts is based out of MA I think, I'm pretty sure they ship our buddies up north too.

nj1266

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Mine just failed about an hour ago. I got the coil light flashing. I thought it was the HPFP at first. I checked the HPFP regulator and it was clean with no metal pieces. Then I checked the code and got p0544 EGT Sensor Bank 1 sensor 1. I have 32,600 miles on my Golf TDI so I should be covered under warranty. I will take it to the dealer tomorrow.

nj1266

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
$50 later, they give me P0544 and tell me it's not under warranty. Gee, thanks.
DZL,

My car is 4-5 days out of the 3-year warranty and to change the sensor the dealer is going to charge me $560. But my car was still under the powertrain and emissions warranty. The dealer said that the sensor is not covered by either one.

What did the dealer tell you when you asked about coverage under the powertrain and emission warranty?

Ann

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
Add another to the list. My CEL went off Saturday night and read the codes with vagcom Sunday. Now trying to figure out if hubby wants to tear my car apart or have the local euro shop do the work.....

Just over 62,000 miles.....

Last edited:

TLRVaz

TDI
2010 TDI wagon
one more to the list

the light went on at 85,000 miles and the dealer said that it was the sensor one bank one - the black connector. I have 90,000 on it now and I am not sure I want to fix it. The mileage is great unfortunately there is no power and the flashing light is driving me bananas!

vdubtech398

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
You don't have to remove the dpf to replace g235. It's a pain. There is a factory special tool T40055

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DZL_Damon

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Loyal Edition
You don't have to remove the dpf to replace g235. It's a pain. There is a factory special tool T40055

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, that looks like it would work. I frigged around with a crows foot with an extension for an hour and was getting no where quick. You would still have to reposition that each turn I would assume, since the "L" shaped peice of the probe wire would not allow full revolutions I think.

I searched all over when I did mine, came up with no special tools for sale. Found mention of that tool in an Audi manual, but no picture. You can get it for $22 now from Snap-On... good deal: http://vw.snapon.com/specialtoolsdetail.aspx?itemid=10620003

crash2365

TDI
'00 Jetta TDI
Did you take the DPF off by choice? I've done about a dozen TDI temp sensors and never have had to move anything for sensor 1 other than the EGR filter... Actually all of the temp sensors can be replaced with the DPF in place.

crash2365

TDI
'00 Jetta TDI
#4 Is after the DPF, and you really can cheat 2 and 3 out without moving it... It's been done. You don't even need the special tool for sensor 1, just fish your open end in there, or clip it off so you can put a socket on it.

TLRVaz

TDI
2010 TDI wagon
wish I knew that

I ended up moving the DPF over to the side and replacing the sensor, unfortunately as soon as I plugged in the new sensor the DPF light come on and the dealer is telling me I need a new one. The car is at the dealer right now and I realized that they know less about DPF's then I do! I sent the DPF out to be cleaned and the lights did not go out. SO the dealer said yeap you still need a new one... we the new dpf is in and the light is not out.