Engine Upgrades

MWVDUB

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI
Hello Everyone,

I am brand new to this site as I have just purchased a 2003 Jetta TDI in Platinum Grey. I am looking for some engine upgrades. Specifically, I am looking for an air intake system, a new chip and some exhaust. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
MWVDUB said:
Specifically, I am looking for an air intake system, a new chip and some exhaust. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know.
Hi MWVDUB,

Welcome to TDIclub! I suggest reading the TDIFAQ document (click on FAQ link at top of page). The TDIFAQ document has a ton of useful TDI information including a section on power upgrades.

Re: Air intake system...you're probably thinking about a K&N filter and adding a cold air intake. Stick to the OEM paper filter and don't bother with a CAI because VWs already have a cold air intake system. The stock airbox system is already designed to way outflow the engine, so there's virtually zero benefit to try to improve it. Also, K&N filters have destroyed a lot of Mass Airflow Sensors (MAF) due to contamination because K&N filters are known to not filter as well as the stock paper filter does. K&N filters are best described as MAF eaters and engine sanders and result in zero HP gains = BAD. Stick to using only the OEM paper air filter and leave the airbox alone. Also, never open the airbox to check the filter unless you plan to replace the filter with a new one. The rubber seal around the filter element can only make a reliable air-tight seal only ONCE.

Re: Chipping. Yes, definitely go for some chip tuning! I have Rocketchip (stage 3) and love it. Check out RC's website at http://www.rocketchip.com. There are several levels of tuning available, depending on how far you want to go and what other upgrades you have.

Also consider an injector nozzle upgrade. When you read about people talking about bigger injectors, they're talking about bigger injector nozzles. The injector bodies don't get replaced, just the nozzle on the end of each injector gets replaced with a nozzle with bigger orifices ("holes"). This results in more fuel being injected and the ECU knows nothing about the bigger holes. Check out KERMA's website for nozzles: http://www.kermatdi.com.

With chip tuning and nozzle upgrades, plan on a clutch upgrade because the increased torque will be enough to easily over-torque the stock clutch and make it slip when you get on the power.

Re: Exhaust upgrade. Don't bother unless you're planning enough modding to get your TDI up into the 130+ HP and 250+ ft-lbs range. The stock exhaust is already free-flowing enough as is for stock performance and mild power upgrades. Bang for the buck is virtually zero as there are virtually zero HP gains. The advantages are faster turbo spool-up and lower turbo exhaust gas temps (EGTs) but virtually zero power gains. The EGTs become a concern primarily for heavily modded TDIs. No need to worry about EGTs for stock performance and mild power upgrades.

Chip tuning and a nozzle upgrade will give the best bang for the buck in terms of power upgrades. If you have manual transmission, definitely plan on a clutch upgrade! If you do chipping alone and the stock clutch is still in good shape, then it MIGHT be OK. If you do a nozzle upgrade alone, the stock clutch MIGHT be OK. No guarantees. However, chip tuning plus a nozzle upgrade almost always equals a clutch upgrade!

Modding is a slippery slope...you get a power upgrade and eventually you'll want more!

Good luck and congrats on your TDI purchase.

Last edited:

MWVDUB

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI
Thanks a lot for all the valuable information. I really dont know alot about diesel tuning as I am used to working on V8's so you have really helped me out. With respect to the clutch upgrade, do you have any suggestions on manufacturer. The car I bought has 93,000 mostly highway miles that the previous owner put on it and it would be wise for me to change the clutch anyway before doing any engine modifications.

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
2002 Harv
Check out MJM, Dieselgeeks and Piers Diesel clutch packages, look down the road and guessamate what horsepower and torque you want to end up with. I suggest stage 2 clutch package, this will take you a long way.
When checking out the clutch packages look a t everything, total package being offered and what the shipping will cost. You will be surprised.
Oh ya check out the evry mod to start with, its fun to do and will impress you right away.
Have fun and welcome to the "wonderful world of TDI's".
Alway remember what my dear ole daddy says, "speed cost money, how fast do you want to go?"

Last edited:

arvina

Veteran Member
Brazoria (or as we call it, an hour south of houst
TDI
2000 Tornado Red Jetta GL TDI 200,000 miles
n1das said:
Hi MWVDUB,

Also consider an injector nozzle upgrade. When you read about people talking about bigger injectors, they're talking about bigger injector nozzles. The injector bodies don't get replaced, just the nozzle on the end of each injector gets replaced with a nozzle with bigger orifices ("holes"). This results in more fuel being injected and the ECU knows nothing about the bigger holes. Check out KERMA's website for nozzles: http://www.kermatdi.com.

you can also get the whole injectors though. from what i read on here that seems to be the more popular choice and on a car with nearly 100k it maybe a good idea to replace whatever you can get away with.

MWVDUB

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI
Would it be wise to replace both the injectors and the nozzles since my car has 93000 miles on it instead of just replacing the nozzles? I would buy new OEM nozzles and then some Powerplus 520's from Kerma or what would be the best route?

jwlionking

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Black 6 Speed Manual
No need to change injectors--only the nozzles. All you need to do is purchase nozzles from Kerma. The Powerplus 520's seem to be my favorite and the favorite of a lot here..

dolde

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon, 2004 PD
I have on my 2002 TDI bigger nozzles. The turbo i bought just arrived today ( anyone know if the G1749V is a VNT 17 turbo?).

I'm also eliminating the EGR with a new intake manifold from a 1994 TD Golf ( perfect fit).

Now, since we're talking about power upgrades, I was thinking on driving my car without the EGR, turbo and nozzles. How long could I go before it's time to upgrade the clutch (I'm not shy to give a little more gas than needed)? One guy said the clutch needs to be replaced if the chip is tuned - i planned on getting the chip once the parts are in and assembled.

I also wanted to ask about the boost controller. If this new turbo is a VNT 17, to what amount do i need to set the boost control? How much extra power will that give me?

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
dolde said:
I have on my 2002 TDI bigger nozzles. The turbo i bought just arrived today ( anyone know if the G1749V is a VNT 17 turbo?).
As per the RocketChip master himself:

Hi,

beware, 1749v is a lupo/polo turbo, not pd150. I know cuz I had one and it only lasted a week. I learned the hard way. The pd150 is a 1749vb and nothing else. btw, I paid $300 euro for a reman one that looked brand new. Had a big X on it.

btw, I took a pd130 turbo and fit it into the 1749v manifold and made a good turbo out of it anyway. It shares the vane system with the pd130, same exhaust wheel too.

jsr

dolde

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon, 2004 PD
I don't get it (lupo/polo - is that a brand?). This turbo is designed for 130 hp, I just wasn't sure if this is the VNT 17. I need to know because I want to set the boost controller just at the right amount. Strange that a turbo like that lasted only one week???:confused:

jbrone

Veteran Member
TDI
R.I.P.: '98 Jetta TDI
Lupo & Polo are two smaller VW's the rest of the world gets to enjoy.