rocketeer928 - My 2003 VW Jetta TDI

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d XDrive, 2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5speed Platinum Grey (sold), 2010 Jetta 6speed (bought back)
Stuuuuuuu Baaaaaarrrrnnnnnessss!!!! In only the way Rick Jeannaret could say it :)

Yes, I know, it's the number you like. But I still remember Stu playing in #41. How could anyone not like a prime number?

Is it time to put her in a TDI and off the cvcc? I bet you'll have to promise not to mod it tho!

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Yes, 41 is my favorite number for a jersey, and no, it's not because of Stu Barnes. But, you know that, n8. I just like the number, and I have my own last name on my Sabres jersey. Since it's a Ukraine name, I could pass for a hockey player, eh? My Bills jersey is 41 too. I'm glad Jeannaret will be around another year, though in a more limited roll. I need to order the NHL cable package soon.

Alright, back to TDIs: I wouldn't mind buying a 6-speed Passat TDI, but I don't really want to spend $$$ on a new car right now. We'll see how the Civic does after it's repaired, and maybe pick up a low mileage used Passat TDI in a couple years.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Dyno at Dent Sport Garage in Norwood, MA on 27 October 2011

Modifications at the time include:

• DC Stage III+ Clutch and 17.5 lb. Flywheel
  • Fratelli Bosio Power Plus 764 Injector Nozzles
  • 11-mm Injection Pump
  • VNT-17/52 Garrett Hybrid Turbo (commonly called VNT-17/22 turbo)
  • 3-Bar MAP Sensor
  • R32 Air Intake and R32 MAF Housing up to the PD150 TIP with TDI MAF filament
  • PD150 Turbo Intake Pipe with DEI Titanium Exhaust Wrap
  • PD150 Intake Manifold with Allard Power Pipe
  • 2½-inch lower and 2-inch upper intercooler pipes
  • APR-Tuned Front-Mounted Intercooler
  • 0.658 5th gear
  • 2½-inch downpipe with catalytic converter and straight-back exhaust without muffler
  • Dieselgeek EGR Delete and by-pass Oil Filter, Short-shifter, and Panzer Skidplate
  • Dynaflow CCV Filter
  • TDI Frost Heater
  • McNally Boost and EGT gauge
  • Enkei RSV 17-inch wheels with Yokohama 235/45R17 tires
  • Koni FSD struts and shocks with Koni Sport Springs
  • Diesel fuel cooler using a transmission cooler
  • PD Lift Pump with LCR Modification
  • Lower Rear & Upper Front Stabilizer Bars

Last December, I went to Jeff Robertson’s house in Red Lion, PA and had him place the RC5-ASV-Euro-Tune on a secondary ECU (See Post Nr. 621). My primary ECU already had RC5 on it with EGR readiness activated, so as to pass Connecticut emissions (See Post Nr. 375). I was happy with this tune, but wanted more power, so I opted to switch to the RC5-ASV-Euro-Tune.

A TDI Club friend who currently resides and works in Deutschland put me in contact with a German guy named Günther (last name) who tuned his ECU specifically for his car. My friend had shipped his TDI to Deutschland, and he needed a new tune to pass strict TÜV emissions standards, among other reasons. I’m sure some of you know who this TDI Club friend is, but I’m choosing not to be specific so as to protect the innocent. My friend’s Jetta TDI has nearly the same power modifications as I have on my Jetta TDI.

I decided to have Günther work with me to also tune my TDI specific to my modifications with the hope of an increase in horsepower and torque, while at the same time reducing the amount of soot and smoke generated. In e-mail exchanges I had to communicate with Günther in German. Because I lived in Deutschland for a year back in 2006 - 2007, I know a little Deutsch, though I am far, far, far from being fluent (not even close). So, I relied on Google Translate and my friend to help me.

I bought a Galletto 1260 ECU Flasher, so that I could take Günther’s files that he was to e-mail to me and upload them onto my ECU. However, the first challenge was to remove the RC5-EGR readiness-Tune from my ECU. Jeff Robertson places a dongle chip on his more advanced tuned ECUs, presumably so his files cannot be downloaded and copied. I can understand that. As a businessman, Jeff needs to protect his files to make his living. So, I sent my primary ECU to Günther in Deutschland to remove the RC5 chip and its dongle chip, and replace it with a standard OEM chip that could be programmed. I wasn’t comfortable performing the soldering myself, which is why my ECU went across the pond and back. It was a bit of an ordeal because on the customs form I had labeled it as an “Automotive Part”. I was trying to be honest. That caused the ECU to get stuck in customs for 3 weeks and a tax to be applied.

My ECU was sent back to me with the stock 90 HP / 155 ft-lb tune programmed onto the newly installed chip, and ready to be worked upon. I also have the RC5-EGR readiness-Tune chip and its dongle chip, which I may try to sell.

Each time Günther sent me an updated tune file to try, I had to log data with VCDS in 3rd and 4th gear from 1500 RPM to 4500 RPM. I think Günther likes to limit his tunes to around 4500 RPM for safety reasons, since my TDI tops out around 4600 RPM. Overall, I tested 18 tunes from the beginning of September through mid-October. Some of the tunes had to be adjusted due to idling and smoke issues. Günther had me log Groups 008, 011, and 006. The best Günther-Tune is 2 seconds faster than the RC5-ASV-Euro-Tune from 60 - 160 km/hr (37 - 100 mph) in 4th gear. However, I feel that the RC5-ASV-Euro-Tune is quicker upon acceleration from a standstill.

Since there was not a New England Dyno Day TDI Club GTG scheduled this fall because of poor turnout last year, on Thursday, October 27, I made an appointment with Dent Sport Garage to compare both the RC5-ASV-Euro-Tune and Günther-Tune on the dynamometer. I drove the 3+ hours to DSG because that’s where I have my dyno baselines from 2008, 2009, and 2010 during past NEDDs.

In the below graphs there is only shown a single pull. However, for each dyno test, three pulls were performed with no variability between pulls. Also, this dyno is a heartbreaker, which translates into lower than expected results, and it was a humid, rainy day.

Here are the results for the RC5-ASV-Euro-Tune:

The stock engine is rated at 90 HP / 155 ft-lb (210 Nm) torque. At 162 HP / 235 ft-lb. (319 Nm) torque, this translates to an increase of 80% HP / 52% ft-lb torque. Maximum torque is not reached until 3300 RPM, and there is an odd dip between 2400 - 2900 RPM.

Here are the results for the Günther-Tune, including the VCDS logs:

3rd Gear:

4th Gear:

The stock engine is rated at 90 HP / 155 ft-lb (210 Nm) torque. At 159 HP / 264 ft-lb. (358 Nm) torque, this translates to an increase of 77% HP / 70% ft-lb torque. The torque power band is smooth, the area under the curve is good, and it maximizes at 2650 RPM. The horsepower is about the same as the RC5-ASV-Euro-Tune. I was a bit surprised and disappointed, as I had expected the horsepower to be a little higher with the Günther-Tune. The smoke was considerably less, as there is more fueling (59.8 mg/str) with lower boost and no surging (see below).

Here is a comparison of the boost and torque between the two tunes:

Though the boost maximizes at a lower PSI, the Günther-Tune spools up quicker and stays rather steady as compared to the RC5-ASV-Euro-Tune. I have always complained that my 17/22 turbo coughs when hitting the accelerator, and I suspect that the fluctuations between 2000 - 2500 RPM is evident of that coughing sound I hear. I wish the turbo was smooth at the low RPMs.

Here is a direct comparison of the RC5-ASV-Euro-Tune and Günther-Tune:

The maximum horsepower is similar, though the Günther-Tune has a bit more power at lower RPMs. Obviously, the torque results are different.

Here is a direct comparison of the RC5-EGR readiness-Tune, RC5-ASV-Euro-Tune, and Günther-Tune:

I was shocked to see that the RC5-EGR readiness-Tune provides similar horsepower and much improved torque as compared to the RC5-ASV-Euro-Tune. For the RC5-EGR readiness-Tune, at 155 HP / 290 ft-lb. (393 Nm) torque, this translates to an increase of 72% HP / 87% ft-lb torque. Now I feel like I wasted my money getting the RC5-ASV-Euro-Tune, since it doesn’t seem to perform as well as the RC5-EGR readiness-Tune. I didn’t get the power increase I had expected and been told I would get. Hmm...

Though a bit busy, here are all the dyno results on my Jetta TDI from 2008 through 2011:

I’m sure on a cool, dry autumn day, the numbers above might have been higher. Every time I dyno at DSG, I leave a bit disappointed. Maybe I'll do another dyno in the future on a dry, crisp spring or fall day. DSG is 3½ hours one-way from my house.

Last edited:

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
so that's the dyno run....how do you compare real world driving experiences with the two tunes?
The RC5-ASV-Euro-Tune feels like it initially accelerates better off the line, but I think that's because I can really notice the boost surging at low RPMs.

The Günther-Tune feels a bit faster through the whole range of speeds and the boost is smoother. Also, it definitely smokes less with full throttle at low RPMs and when starting on a cold morning. I think my above explanation is rather comprehensive when comparing the two tunes.

As of right now, I'm choosing to keep the Günther-Tune in my TDI full time. The "Poopometer" is better. Now that I'm done with the constant logging runs, it'll be interesting to see what my tank-to-tank fuel mileage will be. With all the runs over the last 1¾ months, the fuel mileage took a hit.

Last edited:

Johnny_Law

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
Thanks for all that detailed information about the tunes and dyno runs. Your latest tune looks great for the torque curve and must be fun to drive! Have you thought about a cam yet? I have a colt stage 2 with a buff and fluff to the ports and like it. Did your throttle response also improve with the latest tune?

Good luck and thanks again for all the detailed information!

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
I think the throttle response is about the same for both the RC5-Euro-Tune and the Günther-Tune. At least, I have not noticed much difference.

I thought briefly about the Colt Stage 2, but from what I've read, I'm not all that impressed with the performance gains. Perhaps when my current cam wears too much or another summer or two goes by, then I'll think about it again.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Re-wiring the TDI Frost Heater

Last Monday morning in the dark, I had trouble unplugging my TDI Frost Heater. All of a sudden, buzzing and sparks started flying and I yanked hard and quick to unplug so I wouldn't have an electrical car fire. I discovered that the original Frost Heater wiring was compromised at the plug, showing a bare wire.

So, using 12-guage electrical cord and a
Marinco 150BBI.RV RV On-Board Charger Inlet, I re-wired so that I now plug the Frost Heater in from the rear of my car. I got the idea here.

I used a bit of solder, normal and fabric electrical tape, fed the wiring along the driver's side above the engine side shield, tied to the rear brake lines, and above the rear exhaust heat shield to the new outlet. The Marinco outlet was installed on the underside of the rear bumper cover. As we prepare to go off to church tomorrow morning, we'll see if everything is hooked up correctly. If the coolant is hot then all is good.

Last edited:

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
My Jetta TDI might have fewer miles put on it next spring and summer. I bought this 2007 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 from a friend a couple of months ago. Too bad it's not a diesel.

I have since sold the Honda Shadow and replaced it with a 1995 Harley-Davidson Softail, which I bought from my dad in July 2016.

Last edited:

rosskuhns

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf
"I have always complained that my 17/22 turbo coughs when hitting the accelerator, and I suspect that the fluctuations between 2000 - 2500 RPM is evident of that coughing sound I hear. I wish the turbo was smooth at the low RPMs."

Rocketeer, I believe I get the same oscillation with my 17/22 turbo, at about the same rpm area. I also hear it, a sort of shh-shh-shh-shh and it feels like large power pulses.
I'm running an RC4 with similar mods (not as many intake updates).

I've felt mine 'coughs' many times when you hit the loud pedal. I was suspecting my injectors (that just got sent off to be balanced) or the tune.

I had thought it was just my particular turbo, is somewhat nice to see someone else having the 'issue'.

My thoughts have been:
Compressor surge or similar; turbo just not quite sized perfectly.
Lightweight flywheel and powerpulses through the drivetrain.
boost leak (I replaced my IC because of a small leak, it didn't change this).

FWIW.

Ross

Last edited:

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
New mount created by n8ronJ for my ScanGaugeII

Look at what my good friend and brother n8 (n8ronJ) created and gave to me for Christmas.

In the middle of this year, he and I were together heading up to a Ho5G GTG to get his Jetta TDI tuned by Jeff R. While driving along we both complained about how the Velcro designed to keep our respective ScanGaugeII in place would wear out and cause the gauge to sag. In n8's case, it was nearly falling off from the trim. In my case, I replaced the Velcro with some I bought from a craft store.

Well, n8 came up with this ingenious holder mount that he has attaching to the trim piece using his work skills. When he showed me version 1.0, I knew what I wanted for Christmas (gentle hint). His original version was gray, and I suggested he try and make it or paint it in black to match the trim. Presto, version 2.0 shows up in my mailbox (n8 gave me a hint it was coming), and I installed it immediately. Now my ScanGaugeII fits in its place nicely, showing its face in all its glory without sagging. The gauge is actually held in place with notches n8 incorporated into the blocks that fit within slots on the gauge. Very smart, n8! And, there is no interference with the radio buttons or CD slot.

This is definitely my favorite Christmas gift of the year, putting a huge smile on my face when I had it installed.

Last edited:

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d XDrive, 2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5speed Platinum Grey (sold), 2010 Jetta 6speed (bought back)
41-
Thank you for the kind words and the thread pics. It does look very sharp. Much better than version 1.0 which is still mounted in my car. I'll be making another soon.
-n8

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
rocketeer928's Yearly Fuel Summary

Here's my fuel summary from the time I bought my TDI in December 2007.

I average less than 10,000 miles per year. From the Avg Price/Gallon, one can tell that the oil prices peaked in 2008, fell drastically in 2009, and have crept back up through 2011. It's evident that through the years, I wait longer (more miles) between fill-ups. Fuel mileage is consistent, even with the gradual modifications starting from stock. I would probably do better without the 17-inch summer wheel and tires, which I'm now trying to sell.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Your numbers are eerily similar to IBW's Fuelly Numbers. I do drive a few more miles per year, however.

Last edited:

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Your numbers are eerily similar to IBW's Fuelly Numbers. I do drive a few more miles per year, however.
Eerily, Peter? :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure that you drive faster on the highways than I, even though our percentage of highway vs. local driving is nearly the same. I also notice that your mileage was very consistent over the past year, while for me there is a big dip down into the 30s in the summer because I was doing all those test runs while perfecting my new, Deutsch Günther-tune.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Maybe not surprisingly. I've only recently started using the city/highway settings, so my percentages are probably more biased towards highway as that's the default.

And IBW's FE is consistent, summer and winter. No complaints.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Last night, I sold the Enkei Silver RSV 17-inch wheels with 235/45R-17 Yokohama Avid H4S tires to a guy from Maryland.

I have plans for a new set of 15-inch summer wheels and tires before mid-April. Though I really liked the look of the 17-inch tires/wheels, the jarring, unforgiving, horribly bumpy roads here in Connecticut made the decision to sell easy. Besides, 15-inch wheels/tires look OK now that my suspension is about 1-inch lower due to the Koni springs. Best of all, there should be less grumbling from the wifey and my mileage in the summer should increase a bit. ;)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
15s rock. I have four sets for IBW, two alloy, two steel. And I just bought steel 15" wheels and tires for my '12 Golf, am looking for a good set of Passat 15" alloys to put on that car. Tire selection isn't great, but I have been pleased with the Michelin Pilot Exaltos I ran last summer.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
As of right now, I plan to stick with Yokohama tires, as I've liked them for years and years (pre-TDI) as summer tires. Specifically, I'm considering Yokohama AVID ENVigor (H&V). I do have Michelin's summers tires for my wife's car, which have worked out good.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Depending on what wheels you buy you can go with slightly larger section widths: I run 215/60-15s on my Kosei 7" rims and they work great. Same diameter as stock.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Good to know. Thanks, Peter.

Edit: I took a look, and I think I'm going to stick with the 195/65-15 OEM size, as the tires I'm interested in are better rated, warranted for more miles, and a lot better priced. I won't be purchasing anything until March or April, so I have more time to consider.

The 15-inch wheels I'm considering look similar to the 17-inch Enkei's I just sold, and they're manufactured in Deutschland.

Last edited:

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Happiness is getting 50 mpg with my Jetta TDI for the last two tank full-ups. This is during winter with soft snow tires with only 50% highway driving. My new Günther-Tune and power modifications are working out really well.

Last edited: