2004 Passat TDI Wagon build - Manual swap, tune...

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Just as Windex wrote, the they get worn from rubbing against other parts and then the extra boost finishes them off. So far I have 15 months on a cheap chineese hose but I try to stay away from full throttle as much as possible.

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon BHW 2004 Jetta 5 spd BEW - 99.5 jetta 5 speed - 1982 Mercedes 300D Manual 4 spd
Compatibility info???

Doesn't matter what transmission you get as long as it's geared for a TDI. The slight difference between the different models is not really noticeable.
Can you please elaborate for me? So im looking to do this same thin on an 05 passat wagon I just got. From what i understand (familliar with the alh) I will need a trans Out of a TDI, if i don't wanna rev to the moon all the time right? what transmission code/s should i look for and what are some (or all would be great, I'd even be willing to throw some $ your way for the info) models have the TDI w/manual trans so i can look for a parts car for the swap??? would love the info been looking at salvaged cars a bit but, I may just have to buy a trans on its own and parts car for the rest......

duteman2

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 GOLF, '04 Passat Wagon, 5-speed, BSD, our 8th. and 9th. TDI's
Frans is the Man...

Can you please elaborate for me? So im looking to do this same thin on an 05 passat wagon I just got. From what i understand (familliar with the alh) I will need a trans Out of a TDI, if i don't wanna rev to the moon all the time right? what transmission code/s should i look for and what are some (or all would be great, I'd even be willing to throw some $ your way for the info) models have the TDI w/manual trans so i can look for a parts car for the swap??? would love the info been looking at salvaged cars a bit but, I may just have to buy a trans on its own and parts car for the rest......
There are quite a few discussions about this. DO get a Euro Transmission... the ratios are correct for the TDI. There are two five speeds, one with a slightly higher top gear (FHN). It's harder to find. I got the more readily available one (DUK) and kinda regret not holding out. The six speed transmission is, apparently, more fragile and no one seems to want to sell you one that has not been re-built. That's not a good sign, for me at least. I want as bomb-proof a set-up as possible. There is also an issue with the crank, IMHO, too much work, and expense, to justify for the extra gear. If i was independently wealthy I'd have held out for the six speed but I was doing the Balance shaft delete at the same time and the budget topped out pretty quickly! Anyway, Frans at Dutch Auto Parts is the place, he is very knowledgeable and his stuff is always first rate, in great shape. At least, mine was, and most folks seem to have the same opinion of him. There is some logic in not getting a parts car but getting a "kit" from frans... pedal parts, everything. He's pretty thorough. That said, labor is the biggest component of a project like this, and even if you do it yourself having to break down a parts car, then get rid of it... vs. getting the stuff from frans and putting it in... YMMV. I spent some serious money on this project but in my opinion, IT WAS WORTH IT! I LOVE the car. A stage 2 Malone tune, heavy clutch... the car just sings and should have been delivered this way. With the BSD, the rotational mass is reduced and I just love the performance of the car. See my thread, above, for all the gory details! BTW, in case you might be looking for a TDI wrench to help you out, Mike McCann in Mass. is fantastic.
Hope this helps...

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Not entirely accurate - the 6-speed is actually a stronger transmission - rated for about 100nm higher torque if memory serves.

The issue with the 6 speed 01E is that they have a high fail rate on the pinion bearing. replacement of which requires tearing down the entire transmission.

Once sorted however, the 6speed in two variations have the lowest revs / tallest gearing you can find in a B5.5 TDI.

Low revs on the highway are a godsend on long trips.

duteman2

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey that's good news, I guess... I'd love to have a 6-speed, curious, though... and I'm not trying to be argumentative, but "high rate of fail on the pinion bearing" does not sound like it's all that strong to me. If the rest is stronger than an FHN or DUK, but has one weak link... the pinion bearing... then it's only as strong as it's weakest link, no? Anyway, if I'd have had the budget I would have fixed the pinion bearing and put a six speed in it anyway!

Last edited:

duteman2

Veteran Member
TDI
And whats up with the crank issue? Length of shaft/pilot bearing issue? I've read posts about machining bushings and whatnot... is there no "cheap and dirty" way to just drop a six speed in?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Define "cheap and dirty" :D

My 6sp is in with about 3.5-4mm of inputshaft engagement into the pilot bearing - 175,000 km and going strong - I wouldn't really worry about it.

I've had the transmission out a few times due to unrelated issues, and there is no discernable wear on the input shaft.

The real issue on these transmissions is the possibility of getting one with a bad pinion bearing.

And the transmission, when properly sorted is quite strong - they are very popular with V8 engines in Kit Cars.

The pinion bearing is not a strength issue - there was a problem at the getrag factory where they (allegedly) calculated the output shaft preload too tight. This is what causes the bearing to fail.

If you get one with a noisy bearing, replace the bearing, calculate and set the preload correctly and you are good from then on. That has been my case.

Last edited: