03 Jetta Wagon Radio Removal

Docproteus

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 05 Jetta Sedan
I need to pullt he stock radio/cd/tape on my 03 jetta wagon as it was replaced at thge dealer a while back, but they never hooked the antenna back up. I just bought the car and the dealer who did it is a ways away from me. What do I need to pull the radio, how hard is it, and any pointers I should know about?

dave

Docproteus

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, new info. i realized that the car was under warranty so I called and the dealer said they'd have a look. They pulled the radio and showed me that the antenna connector was broken off. Luckily they were cool and didn't charge me anything. $590 to fix it. NOT!!!! Anyway, I called the dealer who originally replaced the radio and they said it wasn't there problem. The guy who I dealt with though, agreed that whoever pulled it, yanked it out and probably brokke the antenna connector. Anyway, I'm sort of stuck now so I was looking at the connector and it seems like it is a simple internal/external wire connector. Shouldn't I just be able to expose both wire, connect them to the radio, stick them there, and head off to the races? Any thoughts?

Dave

Audiofyl

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS 05 indigo blue
Do a search for "metra 40eu20" or "american international eu07". Buy it from where ever you feel comfortable. Once you receive it, cut the end leaving yourself enough to splice and solder it to the existing broken wire in the dash. Plug it into your radio and you should be in good shape.

Docproteus

Veteran Member
TDI
Cool. Thanks for the advice. Now here's my next question. It looks like the little gold pin in the middle is broken as well. I put a piece of wire in there and got pretty good fm but I couldn't get AM. I'm wondering what the grey connector next to the white antenna connector is? Also, how hard would it be to rep[lcae that little connector?

Audiofyl

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS 05 indigo blue
gold pin where? If it's broken off in the radio, I'd suggest you find a used one on ebay or in the classified area of tdi club or vortex. if it's in the cable, it should be fixed when you solder on the new end, it will be the connector and all. The reason am doesn't work is because without the antenna properly connected, the amplification in the antenna will not work as it should. FM may be ok, but not as good as it could be either.