Transmission/Shifter question

starrd

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
Hi all,

I have begun to experience weird behaviour with my transmission that I would like some opinions on. My issue is with 5th gear. As long as I downshift early, I have no issues going from 5th to 4th. If however, I press in the clutch and wait too long (low RPM's and low speed) the shifter doesn't want to come out of 5th. If I coast to a stop - no go. If I stop the engine, still no go. Seems to be locked there. The last time it did this I slowly let the clutch back out until the car started to move slightly, then re-pushed in the clutch and I was able to get it to shift out of 5th. None of the other gears do this. I don't want to pull too hard on the shifter for fear of breaking a cable.

CTN diesel trans with 520,000 km's and clutch has about 100,000 km's - it is a Sachs VR6 setup. Any ideas where to start? Don't really want to replace things I don't need to.

Thanks

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Or take the end cover off and inspect the shifter fork and linkages.

Before you do that, take a look under the hood, and see if there is anything getting in the way of the shifter linkages. Very common for something to be left in there or to move out of place and get in the way of the pivots/cables.

Also take a look at the black plastic linkage pivot, they tend to break and cause gear engagement issues.

starrd

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
Thank you for your replies. Will change the oil tomorrow and see if it helps. I have checked the shifter linkage and plastic pivot and they are fine.

yakko

Veteran Member
TDI
PASSAT 96,97
That plastic pivot can look good and not work right. I had trouble with reverse and that piece looked good. I replaced it any way and it worked perfect. I think it stretches.
JMHO.

d.david

TDI
02 Jetta
My trans was acting a little funny and not ha ha. Third would be notchey and not ingage fully but not all the time. 1st to 2nd grind when not shifting fast again not all the time, reverse when backing out of garage would hang up. Changed trans oil used the G070 oil and all have disappeared. Thought I was going to have buy a six speed.

starrd

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
Thanks for all your replies. I ended up changing the trans oil with Redline MTL and the problem has gone away thankfully. 520,000 kms on original oil must be a little too much I guess.