Help can't open my hood - exterior hood release not working

O0_Ia

TDI
DESTROYED
How do you open the hood when the exterior plastic "T Handle" is broken?
The interior release works, but the exterior release doesn't appear to work. It just pops out and does nothing (broken cable?, missing pin?).
Also how do you fix this?
I have an early 2005 jetta.

HopefulFred

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2006, Indigo Blue
I suspect that once you get it open, you'll be looking at either rigging something to work (not my choice) or replacing the whole mechanism, as that's likely to be the only way to buy the parts you need - unless you go salvage them from a junkyard (pull-a-part or similar). The mechanism is pretty complicated. I couldn't tell you how to jimmy it open, but I expect you'll want a long thin screwdriver and a flashlight - an assistant would be helpful to hold the flashlight.

On most cars (never had a problem with a VW) when the mechanism is not properly aligned or rusted and hard to work, you sometimes need to push down on the hood gently while trying the release to release the tension and allow it to work... might be worth a try.

Fred

O0_Ia

TDI
DESTROYED
UPDATE:

I was able to open the hood. The plastic "T-Handle" broke where it contacts to the latch (at the pin). Is it possible to just replace the "T-Handle" or do I need to buy a new latch assembly?

puter

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I think fred pretty much covered it. If you're able to find a plastic handle, and that can come apart in such a way that it can be replaced, then replace it.

If you want you can always rig it to work with some super glue and a piece of plastic (or duct tape and bailing wire if you're so inclined).

cvalentine

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf, 2014 328d
The T-handle is also available separately from the latch mechanism at the dealer for less than $10. Part# 1J0823593C 01C (for Golf and Jetta Wagon) or Part# 1J5823593C 01C (for Jetta Sedan)

Last edited:

peteman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI 504 000 km and 2003 Golf TDI 225 000 km
We purchased my wife's tdi with a broken handle. I have become accustomed to opening it without one. It is just as quick as using the handle once you get the hang of what part of the hood latch mechanism to move.

blubry2

TDI
1999 Volkswagen New Beetle 1.9 Turbo Diesel
I need to replace a 1999 Beetle hood latch assembly.

Does anyone know where online I could obtain one?

vwjunky

TDI
2005 Golf
Hood Release

I know this is an old post, but if you're in the Toronto area I got mine for $8.99 at WunderKar. They're close to me but they're also close to the Gardiner or 400. It's worth a detour 'cause their prices are good and they're helpful. The owner put mine in for me. He heated it up so it wouldn't crack in the cold and it was done in 2 minutes!

Anyway, here's a link: http://www.wunderkar.ca/exterior.html

Dave

BLSeleven

TDI
2005 Golf TDI
I know this is an old post, but I am having the same problem with the hood on my 05 Golf - the initial release lever (near the steering wheel) works, but the secondary t-handle release does nothing. How were you able to bypass the t-handle and get your hood open?

Thanks!

UPDATE:
I was able to open the hood. The plastic "T-Handle" broke where it contacts to the latch (at the pin). Is it possible to just replace the "T-Handle" or do I need to buy a new latch assembly?

BLSeleven

TDI
2005 Golf TDI
Thanks, peteman. But I'm having trouble figuring out what to pull. When I pull the T-Handle, it does move the vertical lever part (towards the left side of the whole latch mechanism)...that seems to still be connected properly. It seems to me that something broke off of that - later down the line. Does that makes sense? Thanks.

Chavers

TDI
2002 Jetta Black
Having the same issue on the 2002 TDI. Inside latch releases hood. outside latch moves mechanism. Mechanism to left of t-bar handle moves. Latch fails to operate. Tried pulling on left of t-bat mechanism, no joy. Anyone have insight on if there is something lower (like in the grill) I can pull on to operate the latch? The issue as stated above seems to be lower in the mechanism. Trying to avoid my final option of removing the grill and bolts holding the latch. Found a replacement part on ebay though for half the dealer cost (list -15%) otherwise.

Backroll101

TDI
New Beetle GLS TDI
Chavers - I was excited to read that I am not alone with the hood latch problem. Your description was identical to my conundrum. Inside release works. Secondary T handle is attached and moves the mechanism to the left of the main latch. However, The safety latch is still not released. I have pushed and fiddled with just about every component in the mechanism to try to get the secondary latch to release-No luck. I am dreading the thought of alternatives to getting the hood opened this way. How did you get this problem resolved? Thanks

armyschus

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S TDI, Blue Silk Metalic, 6M
Does anyone have an update to this thread. Have the same problem with my 2005 Jetta. Can release the hood from inside the car and the t handle moves the mechanism on the left side of the latch but the secondary hood release does not disengage. Very frustrating issue.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Sometimes they just hang up. If the t-handle is intact and pops out, then it is still connected to the latch mechanism. You can pull it to its limit (not that far) and then pull up on the hood. For my wife's NB, you need something under the leading edge of the hood and then pry up while someone holds the interior lever up, or wedge something in the lever to keep it up while you pry the hood up. Then the T pops out and you can pull the hood up. But it doesn't spring up by itself.

Maybe sometime after I finish the millions of other projects on my plate that are more important than that I'll figure out where the excess friction is and adjust it out. Until then, it just takes me a little longer to get that hood open.

Good luck,

PH

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
05 jetta is still mk4 right?
yank on the grille itself, you can get it to pop out past the hood and then you can get a better look at the hood latch mechanism itself

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
05 jetta is still mk4 right?
yank on the grille itself, you can get it to pop out past the hood and then you can get a better look at the hood latch mechanism itself
Thanks for letting me know that the grill can come out with the hood closed. And I hope it is a Mk.4...the official way of noting a Mk.5 is of course to call it a 2005.5...:)
cheers,
Douglas

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I found out the hard way that is a good idea to keep the hood latch well lubed so we don't have these problems; especially in the middle of Winter.

99_TDI

TDI
1999 mk4 ALH & 2005.5 mk5 BRM
All you have to do is reach your hand in far right where the release is and move the actual hook to the right. It’s very simple, just as easy as using the cheesy hook once you get used to it.

My hook has never worked, I’ve opened my hood tons of times this way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I threaded a "Stainless Steel String Wire Luggage Tag Loop" (search amazon) with a piece of vacuum tubing on the wire to keep it from getting pulled through the rectangular grill opening in place of the plastic tab. If I can get my phone to connect I will snap a pic.
mine's just a wire coathanger hanging out the front
no need for anything fancy

imbrian

TDI
03 jetta wagon
i get wigged on hood latches and car keys. ya need 1-2 keys taped to your car in case of lost keys, and ya need a backup to open the hood. my release in the cab felt a little squishy this summer, i spent about 20min looping some good bailing wire around the release latch itself at the hood, routed it thru thr grill with minimal contact on surrounding working parts and can now open my hood at the hood.....long cables to open things wig me out.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I sprayed penetrating in through the front and worked the hood up & down a few times and pulled the handle.
It finally popped open.
P-Blaster seems to work great if I remember to spray it regularly.